PDA

View Full Version : Birds.... Isn't it that time of year!!

cathyd
26-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Dread letting my moggy out. He keeps bringing (or trying to) me presents. Such as birds and mice, oh and his favourite... worms. Baby birds everywhere at the moment, so I really try and keep him in as much as possible. Is anyone else having the same trouble i wonder? I have one cat who is a real hunter and the other who couldn't care less.

Fran
26-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Yup same problem here too. I have been brought too many fledglings :( I hate this time of year tbh :(

Moli
26-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Same here, I wait till mid morning before I let mine out, the birds seem to feed first thing and just before dusk, so mine come in about 3....They haven't brought anything in for a while...

cathyd
26-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Luckily I have St Tiggywinkles down the road. Lifesavers... literally!

Mags
26-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Cassie hasn't brought me any pressies for a while now........her favourite used to be goldfish!:oops::oops::oops:

cathyd
26-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Goldfish??

Moli
26-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Goldfish??Mags's cat is not like any normal cat Cathy, she has to bring home fish!!:lol:

cathyd
26-05-2006, 11:14 PM
lol... how intriguing, tell me more

Mags
26-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately my next door neighbour has a pond....which isn't covered......and Cassie has learnt how to fish! :oops::oops::oops:

smudgley
26-05-2006, 11:29 PM
No point covering it now though, it's got no fish in it :shock: :-D

smudgley
26-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Does your cat wear a collar / bell Cathy? Mine wear a collar with a bell & a tag that rattle together - I think they help sometimes.
My 2 sound like yours - one who loves catching things & one who wouldn't hurt a fly :roll: (well she just can't be bothered to really):roll:

Mags
:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D.....I daren't look Smudgley!!:lol:

cathyd
oh dear... that's cats!

smudgley
26-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Probably not even got any water in it any more. :lol:

I bet they just couldn't understand where the fish were disappearing to :oops:

cathyd
26-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah got all the bells and stuff. Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference, mind you he must know because I have to keep replacing them. My Syd just pretends to be interested in the local wildlife which I find strange seeing as he's only 2. Think he's too tied up in getting the neighbours attention. They love him because he is different as I keep getting told. Apparently he curls up on a couple of beds in the neighbourhood if he can get away with it.

Mags
26-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm afraid I never let on to them.....just pretended I hadn't seen anything, even though she used to bring them still flapping into the house. Funny thing though, she never ate them!:?

cathyd
26-05-2006, 11:39 PM
See that's where I go to pieces... have a bit of a phobia with birds. Don't know what I'd do if I had one in the house flapping around. Usually rope in my son or husband to do the catching. Don't suppose anyone really likes having to catch the poor things...

Mags
26-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I just scooped the flapping fish up on a shovel............:(

cathyd
26-05-2006, 11:44 PM
lol... such fun!

JemBob
27-05-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm afraid I never let on to them.....just pretended I hadn't seen anything, even though she used to bring them still flapping into the house. Funny thing though, she never ate them!:???:

People who have studied cats believe if a cat makes a kill and brings it back and doesnt eat it.....its a great honour on your behalf.....showing that the cats cares for you and can provide you with food see itself as the hunter of the family...and repaying you some people believe you should praise your cat for doing so..... its in there genes :lol:

Sweet
27-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Violet - one mouse, playing with it down the garden, not sure if it was dead prior to Violet or she actually killed it.

Mau Mau - nothing as yet - phew LOL x

janey83
27-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Tigger is always after the birds! But the only baby birds that i have found in my garden is 2 that a magpie got! stupid magpie. poor birds.

Tigger goes after bee's now, he's to old for birds!

borderdawn
27-05-2006, 08:24 PM
These Cats dont kill anything now! Wiggy does sit under the tree in the garden though, waiting for the Birds to fall on him!
Dawn.

Het
27-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I dread this time as well. There are so many bird nests around here and once they locate a nest they have no mercy. I try to keep them in as much as possible, and if they are out keep a close eye on them.
Only this morning, shortly after 5 o'clock Cleo popped a little fledgeling in bed with me. It was making so much noise I think she just didn't know what to do so fetched it to me to see if I could fix it. But you know when you are half asleep, and I could hear it chirping, and was thinking 'those bl***y birds are noisy this morning, then starting to think err hold on thats right next to my ear!!! I opened my eyes and she was sat right beside me with the bird in front of her sqawking like a good un with its little beak wide open!
So I had to pick it up, struggle into a dressing gown, get out the house without a cat following me - easier said than done when you're carrying a cheeping bird - then across the back field, grass soaking wet , and find a safe place for it where hopefully its parents would find it. Back in the house, block the catflap so they couldn't get out after it!!! And of course because they couldn't get out they came into the bedroom and complained bitterly!!!!So no more sleep:roll: :roll:

Hope no-one saw me trotting out the house in next to nothing.....although it isn't as bad as the time I had to take my shirt off to find the mouse that went up my sleeve,nothing on underneath, 7am in the morning so thought I was safe. Looked across the road and there was a chap doing his recycling standing with his mouth open....weellllll fancy doing your recycling at that hour of the morning!!!!!!!!:roll: :lol:

The things we do because of these felines!!

CathyW
27-05-2006, 08:55 PM
im so glad mine are house cats, dont get that now, but we used to, why u think we named our 2 ronnie n reggie. nothing was safe, they even tried to bring down a phesant, that was funny to watch, this huge bird strutting aropund the garden with my 2 little monsters tracking it :lol: but their favorite was frogs yuk yep so glad they stay indoors now. but i can seee them eyeing up the squirrels in the back garden :D

PurpleJackdaw
28-05-2006, 07:04 PM
at this time of year I try to keep the cats indoors in the day and only let them out at night ,but it dosent stop them catching voles ,mice ,shrews and even baby rabbits
they usually eat what they catch apart from shrews and the odd moles that they catch
I do try to save their victims if they are still alive and do have some luck letting them go again

Luke
28-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Dread the time of year too...Clementine and Elsa have had a few fledglings (amongst other things) over the past week...came home Friday to find a lounge full of fluffy grey feathers..sadly didnt find much of whom they had originally belonged to:(
Its just a cold, yet sad, fact of owning cats!

cathyd
01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Freddy has been at it again :twisted:, always late at night he brings in a bird. Never during the day?? Last night it was a fledgling - I thankfully didn't have the pleasure of disposing of the remains, luckily don't get up first. He doesn't eat them, just plays with them. Feathers everywhere!!!