PDA

View Full Version : Cat Confidential

dinahsmum
24-05-2006, 03:19 PM
My Amazon parcel has just arrived so I will take Cat Confidential on my weekend break. I hope I'll enjoy it - seems like lots of CPers have.

Moli
24-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I bought Cat Detective a few months back, haven't read it yet though...

Donna
24-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Cat Confidential makes very interesting reading, I think!!!

EmmaG
24-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I have got the book and I really liked it :)

Fran
24-05-2006, 09:28 PM
I have a copy and thought it was very good DM. Think you will enjoy it!

smudgley
24-05-2006, 10:22 PM
My CC book is still in the envelope it arrived it when I bought it from E-bay months ago :oops: never have time to read :roll:

Hreow
25-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Smudgley! With only a few dozen cats and dogs, and a family to run?!? You *lazy* person! :grin: BTW, how *do* you manage to stretch the time to do all that? No sleep?

I've read it, easy to read. Perhaps too sensible - makes it easy to just nod and read on, rather that making you really think. It's a good book to give (prospective) cat-owners, though.

smudgley
25-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Smudgley! With only a few dozen cats and dogs, and a family to run?!? You *lazy* person! :grin: BTW, how *do* you manage to stretch the time to do all that? No sleep?[quote=Hreow]

:-D Not enough hours in the day I think!

Cats / dogs / kids / housework / how do I cope? ......... a very, very helpful & understanding husband is how I manage ;) We share everything & he is great:)

edit to add ~ nearly forgot - I work full time too.:roll:

Donna
25-05-2006, 06:38 PM
I read the book when I first got the cats (never owned one before) and it did make complete sense - all so obvious - but easier to understand when it is in black and white!!!

dinahsmum
30-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Enjoyed the book but was a little dismayed at how many problems occur in 'multi-cat households' Eeek! Hope it doesn't happen here - never has before

Hreow
30-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Of course you get that impression - she deals with "problem" cats and it's a book that helps you know how to spot and fix issues before they happen. There are also heaps of cats living perfectly happy lives in a big pile of mates.
It's the same effect as if you read the papers - easy to get the impression that all youths are bad, everyone steals, cheats and would kill for a fiver etc. instead of the more likely average bunch of no-saint-but-far-from-hardened-criminals with a few bad eggs.

I have yet to see a post here by someone thinking of planning in an extra cat, who hasn't taken into account that it may not fit with the existing cat/crowd. It's a puzzle, but if you care and if you know your cat(s) well enough to make informed decisions (and it still seems like a good idea), then I'd say it's well worth trying, no?

dinahsmum
30-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Good point - well made.
We haven't been a single cat household for over 30 years and haven't had any problems in the past, so there's no reason why the arrival of two hooligans should change that!

Donna
30-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Obviously there are more chances of things going wrong with the more cats you have - but that doesnt mean to say it will happen... just more likely than if you lived with a single cat (which in turn can have problems of being an only cat!)

Booktigger
02-06-2006, 03:09 PM
There were a few things I disagreed with, I can't remember them all now as it was the end of last year I read it, but I think part was the multi-cat household (Esp as she has one), and I think there was a comment about FIV that I disagreed with.