PDA

View Full Version : Old lady (cat!) with asthma

LMC
23-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Jenny is about 13 or 14 and half-Siamese - I know they can be prone to asthma in later life. After rushing around, or especially if she's stressed, she does get very short of breath and wheezy (and sometimes snores like a train as well). She's not that old I know... but she had a hard life before I had her, poor girl, too many kittens too young and in too short a space of time before the RSPCA confiscated her.

She mostly seems happy enough in herself - sometimes has some discomfort and is grumpy when I pick her up (but then she's never really liked being picked up), but still has her "I'm 13 weeks old, not 13 years old moments" and is cuddly and purry (even when puffing a little!).

Like all cats, she hates being medicated, so while she's still reasonably cheerful I'm reluctant to get a space helmet/inhaler for her, although that will have to happen before the next run of very cold weather. Does anyone have experience with an asthmatic cat? - is there anything I might be able to do with diet or gentle massage that might help?

Sweet
23-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I am sorry I cannot help....hope someone on here can, give her a big hug from us all x

Mags
23-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I hope someone will be able to offer you some advice LMC.........cuddles for Jenny...x

Jac
23-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh so sorry for her. Hope you get the advice you need. Give her a cuddle from auntie Jac

Donna
23-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I cannot advise either I am afraid. Hope you get some help from someone x

Fran
23-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I don't have any experience of asthma in cats. I hope someone will come along soon who can offer you some advice. Hope you can get something non invasive sorted out for her LMC

yola
23-05-2006, 09:28 PM
No experience of asthmatic cats, sorry. However a couple of suggestions:

1. Dust mite allergy (like humans) get rid of carpetting and have hard floors if at all possible

2. Air purifiers/ionisers. This might help kitty with breathing difficulties. Also doesn't involve medication.

3. Seasonal. Do cats suffer from pollen allergy? If so this might be a cause.

Maybe try tackling some of the above and see if they offer some relief?

Booktigger
23-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Have you spoken to the vet about it? I have heard about asthmatic kitties (read too many forums!!) and I think I have heard about some of them having tablets rather than an inhaler.

LMC
24-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks all, any more advice appreciated!

I'm sure it's not allergy/pollen related - there's no difference after she's been yomping around the garden or rolling round on the usually hairy carpet (4 cats, it's 6 inches thick in hair again within 40 seconds of hoovering). Not sure that two wooden floors I have are much better than carpet as the hair is free to blow around, at least the carpet traps the hair! Stress is a big trigger - she gets very grumpy and wheezy if have to clip her toenails (or unreasonably insist on peeling her off the duvet so I can change the sheets). She's also worse when it's cold (or cold and damp) - she's improved recently with the warmer weather, despite the rain. She can keep warm by crawling under my duvet when she wants to (spoiled best baby!).

Interesting that pills might be an option, altho' I'm not sure that that's any better than an inhaler - don't you wish your cats would understand that the few seconds "trauma" is not you being an evil owner, it's to make them feel better. I do try to explain...

I will of course consult the vet, but would be interested to hear any experiences with medicines etc if anyone else has them.