PDA

View Full Version : I've planted potatoes..

smudgley
22-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Yes - thanks to DM. I have been & bought some seed potatoes from the garden centre. 3 quid for a few rotten spuds with sprouts.:roll: I had to ask the man which ones were best as there were lots of different varieties.:oops: Went for Nadines as it's so late in the season, he thought they'd be best.:) So we now have 4 huge buckets with some potatoes in & we'll see what happens. Can't wait to eat them.
Next Sunday lunchtime maybe? :roll:

Mags
22-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Yes - thanks to DM. I have been & bought some seed potatoes from the garden centre. 3 quid for a few rotten spuds with sprouts.:roll: I had to ask the man which ones were best as there were lots of different varieties.:oops: Went for Nadines as it's so late in the season, he thought they'd be best.:) So we now have 4 huge buckets with some potatoes in & we'll see what happens. Can't wait to eat them.
Next Sunday lunchtime maybe? :roll:
:lol::lol::lol::lol: dream on Smudgley!!
I'm sure they will do well for you....don't forget the pics when they reach the top of the buckets!:lol:

Moli
22-05-2006, 11:26 PM
You will have to give us a progress report Smudgley, never grown spuds!

smudgley
22-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes I will get photos of the buckets, then photos of the spuds. It's so exciting & so easy. ( well I say easy, I haven't actually grown them yet, but it seems easy):roll:

Fran
22-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Regular updates please Smudgley :p How long until you will be able to eat them do you think?

smudgley
22-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Regular updates please Smudgley :p How long until you will be able to eat them do you think?
Well I was hoping tomorrow, :roll: but it's more likely to be in.... August :shock: I think (I don't know to be honest, but I think DM's were in for 3 months)

Fran
22-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Well I was hoping tomorrow, :roll:

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 I know very little about growing potatoes Smudgley but I think tomorrow is just a little optimistic :-D

smudgley
22-05-2006, 11:47 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 I know very little about growing potatoes Smudgley but I think tomorrow is just a little optimistic :-D

Well I'll check & let you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fran
23-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Well I'll check & let you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to the update Smudgley :-D

dandysmom
23-05-2006, 02:25 AM
There was a post ages ago from Hreow about growing potatoes...maybe she'll refresh our information...nothing like little new potatoes fresh from the ground...yum!

Sweet
23-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Cant wait for the updates, I am sure they will taste yum x

yola
23-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Wow - Smudgely, you're turning into a reet green-fingered bod!!! I've never grown potatoes to look forward to pictures and hearing how they all turn out!!! :-D

dinahsmum
23-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I think mine took 3 months but remember you will have much more daylight whilst yours are growing, so they should be quicker.
Good luck!

Kazz
23-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Good luck you area proper Percy Thrower now and given your new hobby "Percy" should be a name for your next litter of kittens the "P" litter

Jac
23-05-2006, 07:31 PM
There was a post ages ago from Hreow about growing potatoes...maybe she'll refresh our information...nothing like little new potatoes fresh from the ground...yum!

Yes dripping with butter;) Oh scrummy

Fran
23-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Well Smudgely, are they ready to eat today? :-D

dinahsmum
24-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Good luck you area proper Percy Thrower now and given your new hobby "Percy" should be a name for your next litter of kittens the "P" litter
Good name, but spell it Purrcy? :)

Hreow
24-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Here's the thread with lots of good information - very little of it mine:
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=6434

(Ages? Only got here end of March... :grin:)

There was a post ages ago from Hreow about growing potatoes...maybe she'll refresh our information...

dinahsmum
24-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Pinched this from the Unwins (seed merchants) site

Growing in Containers

If you do not have space for a vegetable plot, potatoes can be successfully grown in containers provided they are at least 30cm (12 in) wide and deep with good drainage holes. The larger the container the more potatoes you will be able to grow. You can use garden soil mixed with multi-purpose compost as a growing medium, alternatively, the contents of growing bags give good results, with potatoes free from blemishes and skin problems. Place about 15cm (6in) of compost into the bottom of your container and plant your seed potatoes, 1 potato per 20cm (12in) pot, or more depending on the pot size, if you are using a really large container, for example a half barrel, then you can use 5 or 6 tubers. Cover the tubers with compost and keep adding more as they grow, until the container is full. For extra-early potatoes plant a tub or two in a frost-free greenhouse and watch how quickly they grow. When the leaves die back, harvest your crop, you will be amazed at how many potatoes are produced.
Feeding and watering

Potatoes are hungry feeders so use a good general purpose fertiliser such as Growmore. Particularly around flowering time, as this is when the tubers start to develop. Feeding is especially important when growing in a container, a tomato fertiliser is ideal for this. Watering is also very important and the best crop is obtained in soil that is uniformly moist. It is much better to water well occasionally, rather than little and often, as this encourages shallow rooting and plants will suffer in a dry spell.

Happy gardening!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_201v.gif

dandysmom
24-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Here's the thread with lots of good information - very little of it mine:
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=6434

(Ages? Only got here end of March... :grin:)
I should have said many, many posts ago!!! LOL

Hreow
25-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Yes. yes. Call me a chatterbox. :lol:

**Still** no sign of the spuds, Smudgley? :grin: Must say forgetfulness is a blessing when it comes to that sort of thing. We get enough rain here so I don't have to worry about watering and suddenly it's months later and I can have new potatoes with my tea.

smudgley
25-05-2006, 09:11 AM
No potatoes yet :mad:

Having now read DM's very helpful piece I think I didn't put enough potatoes in my huge tubs :oops: perhaps I can sneak more in there :roll: My tubs are big (kind of half a barrell size & I put 3 spuds in each one (did 4 tubs) we don't do things by halves in this house :lol:

Hreow
25-05-2006, 10:08 AM
You get bigger spuds if they have room to stretch out and smaller if they are cramped. I'm sure you can sneak a few more in, if you feel there is room.

dandysmom
25-05-2006, 08:49 PM
I personally would go for crowded & smaller: large potatoes from the market are OK eating-wise (is there such a word?), but nothing can compare to the taste of little ones dug fresh from the earth, washed, cooked & dripping with butter...:D