PDA

View Full Version : Poppys vet visit today..............:(

Luz
20-05-2006, 08:58 PM
My sweet beautiful Poppy.
Took her today to see why she was losing weight etc. Before I opened her basket the vet asked me what her problems were. I described them and she gave me 4 diagonisis'.
1. Renal Failure
2. Kidney disease
3. Thyroid ( which I thought)
4. Teeth disease.

She took Poppy out and obviously loved her instantly as anyone who meets her do. She is such a gentle tender lady.
She thought her kidneys were enlarged, no. 2. Then she frowned and I knew instantly that was not a good sign. It wasnt her kidneys but tumours which are enlarging her gut so her kidneys were pushed away.
I knew by the expression on the vets face, she didnt know what to say. I have been through alot with Poppy & Barney so I said it for her. YES! she said. sooner than later.
Tomorrow..........:cry:

dinahsmum
20-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Laura I'm so sorry. I've been there recently too.
Hugs to you and remember, this is the final loving act for your lovely friend. Love her and let her go. I'm so sorry.

Luke
20-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Laura i',m so very sorry...and so soon after dear old Barney too..my thoughts are with you all right now:(
Its really an unenviable place to be, but sadly where we all have to be at one time or another...

Kazz
20-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I am so sorry it's not an easy place to be with a poorly cat, but please try to remember Poppy has no idea what is going on so she is not worried or stressed although she may be slightly under the weather cats have no preconception of time, the future etc.
And you have done the best you can for her, and you love her therefore she will be go as she lived feeling safe and much loved.

Please take care I know its hard almost impossible at times but you know you have made the right choice for your cat the beautiful and gentle Poppy.

Karen

Luz
20-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Laura I'm so sorry. I've been there recently too.
Hugs to you and remember, this is the final loving act for your lovely friend. Love her and let her go. I'm so sorry.
I know Tizzie was amongst the flowers on the final morning I hope I get a picture as sweet as that.
xxxxxxxxxxxlove to you as I know the pain will still be raw.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Luz
20-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Laura i',m so very sorry...and so soon after dear old Barney too..my thoughts are with you all right now:(
Its really an unenviable place to be, but sadly where we all have to be at one time or another...
I dont know Luke what I have done to deserve to lose two so special pets so close together. I am distraught. :cry:

Luz
20-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I am so sorry it's not an easy place to be with a poorly cat, but please try to remember Poppy has no idea what is going on so she is not worried or stressed although she may be slightly under the weather cats have no preconception of time, the future etc.
And you have done the best you can for her, and you love her therefore she will be go as she lived feeling safe and much loved.

Please take care I know its hard almost impossible at times but you know you have made the right choice for your cat the beautiful and gentle Poppy.

Karen
Thankyou Karen, I think she is a very clever cat and knows me well. She may even of guessed herself by now. I cry hugging her and she clings to me bless her. Im dying inside. :cry:

Hreow
20-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Take your time saying goodbye, at least you have that.
I'm so sorry - dreadful decision to have to make, no matter how "obvious". :-(
{{hug}}

Kazz
20-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Thankyou Karen, I think she is a very clever cat and knows me well. She may even of guessed herself by now. I cry hugging her and she clings to me bless her. Im dying inside. :cry:

Of course she's a clever cat she knows you as well as you know her, and thats another reason your descision is the right one.
I found it unbearably hard to choose to have my Oscar PTS on Dec 18th last year 23 years is a long time and Cleo is a little "off colour now" so I have an inkling of how you feel but remember she has had a good life with you, and she is loved by someone who has nothing but the her best interest at heart.

Take care of yourself and I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Karen

borderdawn
20-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Very sorry to hear that news Luz. My first Cat had identical symptoms, the kidneys were not enlarged they were pushed outwards by a large tumour. In all honesty I dont think "Snowball" was really in any pain/discomfort, but he would of been, so like you I chose to end it for him and give him the dignity he deserved, without the pain he would of had. Its the right decision, albeit an incredibly hard one.
Dawn.

Fran
20-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I am so very very sorry to hear this news :( I too have been through this quite recently and it is such a very difficult decision to have to make but it is the last very best and kindest thing you can do for her. {{{Hugs to you and Poppy}}} x

PurpleJackdaw
20-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you have such sad news about Poppy :(
My heart really goes out to you ,Its so awful that you are still mourning another lost friend then this :(
maybe its fates way that they want to wait for you together at the bridge :cry:

Luz
20-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Very sorry to hear that news Luz. My first Cat had identical symptoms, the kidneys were not enlarged they were pushed outwards by a large tumour. In all honesty I dont think "Snowball" was really in any pain/discomfort, but he would of been, so like you I chose to end it for him and give him the dignity he deserved, without the pain he would of had. Its the right decision, albeit an incredibly hard one.
Dawn.
We dont agree on some things Dawn ( I respect your words by the way on dogweb ) but agree with that. Poppy was not in any discomfort today when the vet frowned over her tumour. She did say it could be days but no more than a month and to let her go through the indignity of the release of extremement in the house would be cruel to her.
She was so professional but she was so sweet too I have a painful day tomorrow and dread it with the day Barney died. Im grateful Dawn you didnt bring your comments from dogweb to me here. x

Luz
20-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I am so very very sorry to hear this news :( I too have been through this quite recently and it is such a very difficult decision to have to make but it is the last very best and kindest thing you can do for her. {{{Hugs to you and Poppy}}} x
Thankyou Fran, and for talking to me last night you were a great distraction from todays events.

Luz
20-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you have such sad news about Poppy :(
My heart really goes out to you ,Its so awful that you are still mourning another lost friend then this :(
maybe its fates way that they want to wait for you together at the bridge :cry:
I hope so Bev! I have not yet got over the loss of Barney. :cry:

Luz
20-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Poppy is now eating tender cuts of beef and enjoying cream. I am giving her the best time ever. I am so so sad. Wish I could be god sometimes and kill the bad and save the good.

Hreow
20-05-2006, 10:47 PM
The bad makes us move on, learn new things and meet new beeings.
But I know what you mean. :-(

Fran
20-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Thankyou Fran, and for talking to me last night you were a great distraction from todays events.

I think more light relief than distraction ;) I'm 'with you' Luz, I do know how you are feeling and Poppy's story has brought all the memories flooding back of my old girl Lucky who I lost over Christmas....be strong for her. We are all here for you {{{more hugs for you both tonight}}} x

Luz
20-05-2006, 11:11 PM
I think more light relief than distraction ;) I'm 'with you' Luz, I do know how you are feeling and Poppy's story has brought all the memories flooding back of my old girl Lucky who I lost over Christmas....be strong for her. We are all here for you {{{more hugs for you both tonight}}} x
XThankyouX

EmmaG
20-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I am so sorry Luz that you have to go through this, I had to a few years back with my beloved Lucy, she had numerous lyphomas, and whilst we did what we could for her in the end we had to let her go, however after mourning her for a very long time, I am so glad she went with dignity, afterwards perhaps a long time afterwards you will only remember the good times with her and smile.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, take care xx

Emma

Luz
20-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I am so sorry Luz that you have to go through this, I had to a few years back with my beloved Lucy, she had numerous lyphomas, and whilst we did what we could for her in the end we had to let her go, however after mourning her for a very long time, I am so glad she went with dignity, afterwards perhaps a long time afterwards you will only remember the good times with her and smile.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, take care xx

Emma
Thankyou Emma, I took one look at the vets face and I took the pain away from her telling me what was needed for Poppy. I think before I went I knew. I never wish people to squirm and she was, if you have a friend like Poppy has been to me they know instantly what to do. This vet was lovely.
Tomorrow I dread. Pops is now at my feet while I type so dont want to go to bed tonight. Obviously.x

Sweet
20-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Its hard for me to say anything except take care and tons of ((((((hugs)))))) x

Luz
21-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Its hard for me to say anything except take care and tons of ((((((hugs)))))) x
I know but that means alot thankyou Sweet. :)

Booktigger
21-05-2006, 12:05 AM
I am so very sorry to hear this, I did hope it woudl be something treatable. It is never an easy decision to make, and I always try and let mine go that bit sooner, while they still have some dignity and a bit of quality of life, and that is what your doing. It is so much harder when it is so soon after, and I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

dandysmom
21-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Oh, Luz, I'm so sorry; this is a horrible time for you, but you will be sparing her pain & discomfort; she knows how well loved she is...I'm so glad you're spoiling her tonight . Will be thinking of you; be strong & remember the happy time. (((hugs)))

bobbie3917
21-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Laura i',m so very sorry ((hugs))

yola
21-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Laura - I have yet to be faced with that heart-wrenching decision, and I dread the day I will have to look my cats in the face and make the life/death choice for them. You know you're doing the right thing and Poppy will be there one day to thank you for sparing her coming indignities.

Lots of love and hugs to you on this your most difficult of days.

Emm
21-05-2006, 10:19 AM
oh no :( I'm so sorry

I was really hoping that it was going to be alright. I wish I was really great with words and was able to say something that would help right just now. But I'm pretty hopeless at writing but I know exactly the pain you are going through right just now - I've been through it far too many times and it never gets any easier.

I am thinking about you and if you ever want a chat I'm right here (((hugs))) xx

Mags
21-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Laura - I have only just seen this thread and I am so very, very sorry to hear about Poppy. You need to be strong to give her your greatest gift today (((hugs))).
Will be thinking of you today.......

dinahsmum
21-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Thinking of you today Laura.
Time heals, it really does. x

Elaine
21-05-2006, 10:40 AM
So very sorry Luz, I know how you must be feeling. I can offer no pearls of wisdom, I think everyone else has said it all.
Thinking of you both today. All my love and best wishes at this very difficult time. xxx

Moli
21-05-2006, 01:28 PM
So sorry to hear this....Thoughts and "Hugs" with you today......xx

Donna
21-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear your sad news... am thinking of you today x x x

Kazz
21-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Thinking of you today.

Kim
21-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Thinking of you at this terribly difficult time. It is so hard to say goodbye, but you are doing the right thing for her. I lost my beloved dog Ben in December and Daisy greyhound in February to a tumour; as you say so unfair to lose two so close together. In time you will smile at the memories.