PDA

View Full Version : Raising twin kittens

dinahsmum
20-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, it won't be long now, so I'm giving more thought to getting my new babies in and what life might be like (Remember it's nearly 16 years since I've had a kitten, and that was Mini who was 'raised' by Katie anyway).
So, my question for today, for those who have had experience, is how does having 2 kittens differ from just having one?
Twice the trouble?
Half the trouble?
Do they tend to play together and sleep together at the same time?
Do they always play together?
etc.

Any handy tips welcome but I guess we'll be fine and work it out as we go along :)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_15.gif

Mags
20-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Sorry DM, no experience of twin kitties but could tell you a thing or two about twin kiddies!:lol:

dinahsmum
20-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry DM, no experience of twin kitties but could tell you a thing or two about twin kiddies!:lol:
:lol:
(Did you drink a lot of milk Mags? There's some study out today saying that mothers of twins tend to be heavier than average milk drinkers?)

Mags
20-05-2006, 03:30 PM
(as a matter of fact I didn't DM....I hate milk, haven't drank it since childhood!:roll::lol:)

Kazz
20-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Right from dim distant memory two kittens (Oscar and Cleo) were easier than single kitten (Archie) they played with each other and their games were much more interesting than anything I could come up with, I don;t recall any problem house training, and when little they slept at the same time usually curled up together too, :-D I can't recall any down sides of two kittens. They help each other confidence wise too :-D but you soon spot the difference in characters too. :)

Good luck but you will enjoy it more than you will ever imagine :-D

Sweet
20-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I have no experience.....but wanted to say...cannot wait to see and hear your stories of them both together x

Donna
20-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Chloe and Misty were babes together (unrelated).

Chloe was older by six weeks and at a young age the size difference was massive! Chloe seemed so heavy handed with Misty who was tiny sickly thing. But they did play together, and they also fought together. I think it was company for them when I was out and they do search each other out if they are alone. Although not cuddly snuggly together they do always tend to be in the same room together so they must like each other to be near by.

Hope you enjoy your kittens DM.

Fran
20-05-2006, 08:21 PM
I think two kittens are much more interesting and easier than just one kitten. We got Clooney when Claude was 6 weeks old and they hit it off immediately, always playing together and sleeping together. Even when they started to go out in the big wide world, they were never far apart. Now over a year on, they are still very close and are often 'out' together or sleeping beside each other :-D

Jac
20-05-2006, 08:29 PM
:shock: Although C-Fur and Purrdie were not from the same litter and a couple of months diffrent in ages. I found that when I got Purrdie C-Fur and her played more together than not. They ate together, played together and slept together. Even Played at 3am on the stairs!!!! You are in for a culture shock LOL. Enjoy your sleep, sanity and your kittens:D

Luke
20-05-2006, 08:41 PM
We've had the odd pair of kittens over the years-can't say its much different from having just the one, however raising a 10 month old puppy and 3 month old kitten together is bordering on insanity:shock:

dandysmom
20-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Never had 2 at a time. so have no advice to offer; it does seem that they'd amuse on another & play together...but you'll let us know, won't you! Good luck:D

smudgley
20-05-2006, 10:07 PM
We've had 2 kittens together. They are good fun & will amuse each other when they play etc. I prefer the rescue kittens to go in pairs if the people adopting are at work a lot as I think they are good company for each other.

BUT.... however you look at it DM..... it's ripped wallpaper & pulled down curtains for you soon :roll: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see photos of them together, it feels like years since we 1st heard about them.:roll:

Julie84
22-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I have found Thomas and Murphy much easier than a single kitten.

They seem to get so much from having same species company and contact.

They sleep together, play together, wash each other and eat together. They are a year old next month and still have to sleep together, if they wake up in a room alone, they cry for their brother.

However, they are still very much separate cats with different identities. I have seen great benefits to having two kittens growing up together. Having a familiar brother also seemed to make their move into a strange new home a lot easier for them. Apparently their mum didn't cope quite so well with them moving out though. :(

dinahsmum
22-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Julie! That's what i was hoping to hear. I'll let you know if it's the same for me.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_7.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1074.gif

CathyW
22-05-2006, 10:14 PM
ronnie n reggie are twins, and from day one they played together, got into mischeif together (Plenty of that LOL) they slept together still do some times, and if ones ill the other ones hovvers nearby, and they hate to be separated.they eat together, and groom each other, and fight each other (like now :roll:) but u have loads of fun with them good luck the good far out weighs any bad.

Julie84
23-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Julie! That's what i was hoping to hear. I'll let you know if it's the same for me.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_7.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1074.gif

I hope it all goes well, do let us know! :D

Aww, I've just realised those pictures are one grey kitty and one ginger kitty - how cute!