PDA

View Full Version : Pot/tub flowers

Naomi
14-05-2006, 02:24 PM
For you more experinced gardners I'm after some help.

OH has agreed to getting some tubs/ pots into the garden this summer as we've got nothing really apart from our 3 roses. One climbing rose, my 'Unconditional Love' rose and a rose in the hedge, don't ask it was there when we moved in :lol:

We want a bit more colour in the garden but OH won't have hanging baskets which is fair enough.

Anyone suggest some plants we could put in tubs/pots or window boxes? I'm flippin' usless at gardening and am surprised that my petunia's have survived. Which reminds me I need to take piccies of them so you can see them. Nothing much to look at right now but I'm chuffed to bits with them :D

smudgley
14-05-2006, 02:26 PM
*smudgley sits patiently waiting for replies - as needs similar advice for tubs & baskets*

Mags
14-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Busy lizzies (Impatiens), petunias, pansies, lobelia........they are all easy to grow Nae:D

Don't forget the piccies!

Mags
14-05-2006, 02:31 PM
For baskets, in addition to those above, fuchsias, ivy leafed geraniums always look good....:D

Naomi
14-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Hubby likes fuscias, I'll get one of them for him. He likes the pink/white ones.

Donna
14-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I love petunias!!!! They are my favourite summer bedding plant - especially the purple ones!!

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 04:10 PM
The surfina petunias - which trail and trail and trail and trail are great as long as you keep the slugs at bay!

Naomi
14-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Not heared of them Hil, I'll keep an eye out for them in my local garden centre. Would they be okay in a window box?

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh yes!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/surfina.jpg

Naomi
14-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Wow what wonderful colours!!!

Definately getting some of them :D

yola
15-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Nae - I have to say geraniums are faves of mine. Lovely leaves + a variety of flower head shapes and colours. They're great if you're a bit of a lazy gardener (i.e., they can usually withstand slug/snails and will be forgiving if you forget to water them ;) )

You can get upright and trailing varieties and they can be over-wintered in the house and then cut back and put out again the following year!!

Fran
15-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I love to see trailing ivy in arrangements... can't wait to see your piccies Nae :D

Naomi
15-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I've got soooo many plants to choose from. I nearly picked up some geraniums today but opted for Lobelia and Impatiens today. Off to the garden centre on the weekend to pick up more pots and stuff so will be adding geraniums to my list :D

I saw some lovely Clematis and Honesuckle today. Are they okay to grow in pots or are they more suited to being planted in the ground?

Hreow
15-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I've grown clematis in a hanging basket - so they're ok in a pot. They may eventually get too big, and they do like their roots cool but their leaves in the sun, so you may have a fiddle finding the right spot for it.

Naomi
15-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks Hreow. I'm sure I can up with a suitable spot for it.

I'm really getting into this gardening lark now thanks to you lot. I'm determined to make a real go of it and make my garden a nice place to relax this year :D