PDA

View Full Version : 3lb 2oz

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, there have been some strange pics on CP but I would like to put this in the top 10. It's my crop from the 2 seed potatoes I planted in a huge pot in the polytunnel. Think I put them in mid-February - tipped them out today. I'm looking forward to our meal of new season lamb and new potatoes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01377.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01376.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01378.jpg

smudgley
14-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Those look scrumptious DM. We thought about having a go at some potatoes but didn't in the end. What exactly did you do? Could I put some in now? Where / when / how :oops:
Growing your own stuff is so exciting isn't it? It's all really new to me & I can't wait to see the veg develop.

smudgley
14-05-2006, 12:49 PM
In fact - having had another look at the photos - they look too nice to eat, seems a shame to eat them:roll: :-D

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 12:56 PM
They're fab! So even, all approx hens egg size.

You could have a go now. Get some seed potatoes (the only ones left in the garden centres atc are a bit grotty looking, with spindly shoots etc, but never mind!)
OK. Rub off the majority of the shoots, try to leave a couple of thicker stronger looking ones.
Put 2-3" of compost in the bottom of a huuuuuuge pot. Put 2 or 3 potatoes in and cover with another 2-3".
When the (hopefully dark and healthy looking) leaves show through, pour on another 2-3" of compost and continue this until the pot is filled (except for your 2-3" watering space at the top.)
Keep the pot moist all through.
Once you're full with compost just let your potatoes grow away and harvest when you think they're done!

Good luck. You can probably google and get a better description of how to do it.

Hreow
14-05-2006, 01:00 PM
It's how I grow spuds as well. Only one spud and stable-bucket. :-) Very easy.

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 01:02 PM
And no digging!

smudgley
14-05-2006, 01:03 PM
thanks DM. Firstly seed potatoes, any type of potatoe that's got shoots on, right? :oops: (Sorry if I'm asking silly Q's but I have never done this before) & you say a huge pot. How huge would you think is best? Give me an idea of size & I'll have a go at some potatoes, now I've seen yours I've got to give it a go. :) & I've got some carrots growing. Oh my word, in a few weeks I could be eating a sunday chicken dinner with my own pots & my own veg (No, I draw the line there - I'd have to buy the chicken from Asda, couldn't eat my own girls):oops:

EmmaG
14-05-2006, 01:08 PM
WOW DM they look so fresh!!! I think I will have a go next year at potatoes, never tried them before as we don't eat a great deal of them, well only new small potatoes ;)

I have heard some good reports of people using supermarket potatoes

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 01:10 PM
You'll have to have an omlette Smudgley! I often joke that if I could keep chickens I could feed us entirely. I wouldn't (and actually don't) eat chickens either.

Seed potatoes from a nursery are 'disease free' etc etc, but you're right, any spud will shoot eventually. You may get a healthier specimen at this point in the year by buying 'eating spuds' from the greengrocer rather than special seed potatoes.

Size of pot - Hreow's big bucket sounds good. Today's crop came from a cylindrical (ie straight sided, not tapering) round pot about 2 foot diameter.
One spud in a small bucket, two in a huuuge bucket, three in a barrell.

EmmaG
14-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Well I suppose growing them in a bucket/large pot must help with diseases and you are far more likely to get nice healthy potatoes.

I wonder if you can use a supermarket Jersey Royal potato??

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I wonder if you can use a supermarket Jersey Royal potato??

I think I'd say no Emma - because if you think of it they are a very young potato. Go for the gnarled, wrinkly ones! (Hooray for us gnarled wrinklies:lol: )

smudgley
14-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks again DM - will chat with Mr S about where to get the potatoes from & we'll plant away.
I feel all self sufficient today & feel I could confidently look after my family if we got snowed in for 6 months. :oops: :oops: well, if we lived on tomatoes & eggs & beans & if it wasn't just yet, as they're not ready yet.:lol: :lol:

EmmaG
14-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Well I was reading in one of the gardening magazines Smudgley that for an outlay of £70 (seeds, compost etc) that a family of 4 can feed themselves in fruit and veg for a year saving as much as £2,000 a year!

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Well I was reading in one of the gardening magazines Smudgley that for an outlay of £70 (seeds, compost etc) that a family of 4 can feed themselves in fruit and veg for a year saving as much as £2,000 a year!
That wouldn't suprise me at all. And I expect on a much smaller area of land than you would think? You'd have to plan it well to get the succession, rather than gluts and droughts. :roll:

I think I rememeber a campaign in Africa (obviously warmer etc etc ) where they were trying to convince poor families to grow their food and the slogan was 'The size of your door' and the theory was that only that tiny amount of space was sufficient. All veg waste went back as compost etc etc.

EmmaG
14-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Well if you are also prepared to freeze some of the fruit and veg I am sure you can save quite a bit.

More details here, including ideas on what and when to grow

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/aboutbandq/2004/back_good_life/back_to_good_life.pdf

EmmaG
14-05-2006, 01:55 PM
and here

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/content_lookup.jsp?content=/aboutbandq/2004/back_good_life/main.jsp&menu=aboutbandq

Mags
14-05-2006, 02:09 PM
What a brilliant idea DM, I'll have to give that a go too!:D
Those potatoes look very nice:D

dinahsmum
14-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Well - consumer report......
Number of repondants - 2
Verdict - 11 out of 10

Oh my, they were out of this world! Have eaten about a third, so 2 more days of delight!

Naomi
14-05-2006, 04:47 PM
They do look good Hil

Sweet
14-05-2006, 05:54 PM
They look good enough to eat ;) let us all know how yummy they were? x

Fran
14-05-2006, 07:13 PM
They look delicious DM! Glad you enjoyed them!

smudgley
14-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Been for a walk round to Mom & Dads to take Dad some beans to plant & I came back with some lovely buckets. ;)

Mags
14-05-2006, 07:20 PM
What an educational place CP is turning out to be!!:lol:

deester
14-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Hmm they look just lovely, well done.

Kazz
14-05-2006, 07:44 PM
They look lovely so 1 potatoe in a bucket will give you enough tatta's for a couple of days then?

Hmmm so planted a few days apart, happiness. Do you have to keep the buckets inside or out?

And when do you buy seed potatoes? and do they last all year when brought?

smudgley
16-05-2006, 10:30 PM
They look lovely so 1 potatoe in a bucket will give you enough tatta's for a couple of days then?

Hmmm so planted a few days apart, happiness. Do you have to keep the buckets inside or out?

And when do you buy seed potatoes? and do they last all year when brought?

DM Also is it ok to plant some now?

edit to add ~ I don't mean right now @ 10.30pm lol I mean this time of year. LOL

Hreow
17-05-2006, 06:12 AM
I don't know how big a yield you get if you plant them now. No baking-potatoes. :-)
I leave the bucket outside all year round. It goes into the tall grass at the end of the parking-space for warmth over winter. I plant the spud in late autumn (which is when I buy the seed potato). The seed potato will probably last for a good while under ideal conditions - cold and dark. They will still work if they've grown long tangly shoots, but have used up some energy producing them and will be less tough and hardy. Oh, and unless your bucket has draining-holes, make sure the spud doesn't get drowned when it rains.

Once you've decide to plant next years crop, make sure you get all the teeny-tiny spuds out, or they will grow leaves etc. The really little ones won't do as well as parent-plants. Just like people, then. :-)

Note: I've learned by experimenting, so there are indubitably better ways. :-)

dinahsmum
17-05-2006, 09:11 AM
I think you can do it any time of year, but the results/timing will obviously vary. Lots of people plant a 'bucket' in early autumn, to get new potatoes for christmas dinner.
I know that one of the seed merchants (Marshalls) sells seed potatoes late summer, which go straight back in the ground (together with a fertilizer) when the main crop has come out, to give a second crop.
Frost will kill the tops, so you need to protect.
They won't survive outside over winter.

Here's the BBC gardening website/messageboard. Their allotment page is quite good for veggie tips
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbgardening

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_201v.gif

Ah - questions from above.
Inside or out - keep away from frost - so early or late will have to be indoors but remember everything needs as much light as possible

Seed potatoes - on sale early spring (and summer as discussed above for second outdoor crop)
But, 'old' potatoes from the greengrocer will suffice. Special seed potatoes are recommended for planting out, as they are certified disease free. (We don't want to re-start potato blight and all have to go and live in the US, like the Irish did!) Confined to a pot I wouldn't worry particularly.
Agree with Hreow - make sure you have no marble sized lurkers in your compost when replanting.