PDA

View Full Version : How do your cats take their tablets?

Az
13-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Is it a battle? Or not?

(I took Cheetah to the vet's regarding her still calling after being spayed and the vet checked her pee for infection and said she has cystitus (sp), so she's on antibiotics.)

So.. got her on my lap and took the tablets out of the packet - as usual any rustling sound and she comes to see whats going on... got the tablet out and tried to give her it but her mouth firmly shut! After two tried it fell on the sofa and she went to it investigate it...

Guess what she did next? She ate it!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Ok I thought it was a fluke, so next day made loads of rustling noise with it and she was chirping as I was getting it out.. so I put it on the sofa and she ate it again!! lol she's done this 4 times now so it's not a fluke!

So... how do your cat's take their tablets?

Fran
13-05-2006, 04:46 PM
No problems here with any of mine. Just wrap them in a towel, open their mouths, push the tablet to the back of their tongues, close their mouths and rub their throats until they swallow - easy ;) Most of mine don't even need the towel now :-D

Well done Cheetah for being such a good girl :cool:

CathyW
13-05-2006, 05:06 PM
wrap cat in towel place buttered pill in their mouth, pick up tablet from under the sofa, wipe clean re-wrap cat, shove pill down its throat, (by then swearing profusly :oops:) pick tablet up off rug, wipe tablet look round for cat, find cat re-wrap cat, shove down throat, hold mouth shut stroking throat. (saying never again :roll:) then go to cupboard get plasters out n patch myself up. quite difficult u could say :lol:

Mags
13-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Well done Cheetah!!:D

No matter how much I've tried I can't get Cassie to have her tablet......so different to my previous cat who was on 2 tablets a day for life, he used to sit and wait for them!
I asked the vet to give her the tablets....but she was having none of it - even when the vet used tongs :roll:.......so now I have to buy the palatable worm tablets for her which she will chew up with no problem!

Moli
13-05-2006, 06:00 PM
3 of mine are easy, open their mouths and drop them in...Leo however is a nighmare, so much so that if he needs tablets has to have them in the form of an injection from the vet!

Het
13-05-2006, 06:13 PM
All of mine are easy apart from Gizmo:shock: I've tried to surprise her, I've tried the towel wrapping thing!!! she just grows more legs with bigger claws - or thats what it seems like. And the biggest problem is that she bites...she will open her mouth but as soon as you try to put the pill in she bites...and if by pure luck you manage to fire it in to the back of her throat and get her to swallow it....two minutes later she coughs and it shoots back out. That girl is a master at not taking pills and I bow to her...lol!

Sweet
13-05-2006, 06:30 PM
With difficulty.......have not tried Mau Mau yet x

candyshandy
13-05-2006, 06:40 PM
The cat is sat in between my knees and I open their mouths, pop pill in and tickle the throat. They are very good though :)

Donna
13-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I am too scared to try it!!!

Use tasty worming pills that are like treats, but not had to give them a real tablet!!

Booktigger
13-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Pebbles used to be relatively OK till she had her dental, and then she turned into a nightmare - got an infected bite when she had Baytril last year, and even the vet passed comment on how nasty she was when they tried to pill her on Thurs - but then I got it down in one (although had to put my fingers far in her mouth, quite risky with her) - but she was twice as bad yesterday!! Tom has half eaten some of his tablets, and he is on daily meds for his cystitis, and it is rare I dont get his down in one (although I have learnt to do it just before his brekkie, so he is eager to eat.

Kazz
13-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Kinda easily actually just sit down and she jumps on my lap I give Cleo a little bit of cheese first she adores it ;) then put open her mouth pop the tablet back of ther throat and rub she swallows it and before she thinks of objecting I give her litle bit more cheese.;)

Oscar sit on the floor he goes between my knees I open his mouth pop the tablet in and rub off he went.

So I am lucky they are good.

borderdawn
13-05-2006, 07:42 PM
No problems here either, open the hatch and put it in! Persiand have HUGE mouths too, you could aim from 3ft away and not miss.:-D
Dawn.

Hreow
13-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Reluctantly. :-) I've had to give pills to cats of mine who really minded, so poor Rover doesn't have much choice.

dandysmom
13-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Boysmum described the situation in my house perfectly...with one exception:after retrieving spitty pill, cat vanishes not to be found for hours!!! The only 2 of mine that ever needed pills were the Siamese & the Aby; both thrashed and struggled so violently when I tried to pill them that I called my vet who said if they were fighting it so strongly they probably could go without. Their WON'T power was much stronger than my will power :roll: Those of you with cats that you can pill, count your blessings!!!:-D

CathyW
13-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Boysmum described the situation in my house perfectly...with one exception:after retrieving spitty pill, cat vanishes not to be found for hours!!! The only 2 of mine that ever needed pills were the Siamese & the Aby; both thrashed and struggled so violently when I tried to pill them that I called my vet who said if they were fighting it so strongly they probably could go without. Their WON'T power was much stronger than my will power :roll: Those of you with cats that you can pill, count your blessings!!!:-Dive had claw marks down my arms, and as im on blood thinners i bleed badly :roll: and yep ive had to get the cat from out under the bed :lol: barnanby was worse he was a total nightmare:shock:

Snoof
13-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Tube cheese, usually with ham bits in. Splurf some on my finger, put the pill on top, splurf some more on top... Offer finger, cat licks, cat licks, cat licks, cat licks whole gob of cheese including pill, swallows, licks remains off my finger.

Happy cat.

If I have to give big pills to Ninja at some point I'll be asking the vet to do it though :shock:

PurpleJackdaw
13-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Its usually a nightmare when I worm mine ,I can usually get a couple to take their pills without too much trouble but by then the others know somthing is up and scarper :roll:
Tabatha is the worst and seems to be able to read my mind when its pill time and runs and hides ,I have to usually wait till she reappears again ,even when I get the pill in her mouth she is very good at shaking her head and sending the pill flying ,so then its back to square one again:? :roll:

dandysmom
14-05-2006, 02:12 AM
All of mine are easy apart from Gizmo:shock: I've tried to surprise her, I've tried the towel wrapping thing!!! she just grows more legs with bigger claws - or thats what it seems like. And the biggest problem is that she bites...she will open her mouth but as soon as you try to put the pill in she bites...and if by pure luck you manage to fire it in to the back of her throat and get her to swallow it....two minutes later she coughs and it shoots back out. That girl is a master at not taking pills and I bow to her...lol!
He he he...that part about growing more legs has always reminded me of pictures of the Indian goddess Kali with 3 arms on each side:-D :-D

EmmaG
14-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Arthur is horrendous at given a tablet to, I have never been able to give him tablets, I let the vet do it normally, even the vet was suprised how bad he reacts to them

Lucy as ok until she got older and developed lockjaw :-D

Never had to give Bronwyn a tablet yet, but I think she would be ok

Elaine
14-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Never had many problems tableting Winston, partly because he trusted me implicitly and he was always such a good boy. Laterly he had quite a few different meds to take, some were palatable for him to eat straight out of my hand. The steroid was the one he hated most, I used to just pop it down his throat with a little water, obviously being carfull not to just squish the water down his throat and into his lungs, but into the side of his mouth. He really hated those tablets so I then used to hide them in a little mackeral or sardine to disguise it. The blood pressure tablet, I used to give him in a little cheese because it was easier as he only had to have an eighth of a tablet and he loved a bit of cheese.
But that was Winston, Eva and Bernie are a totally different kettle of fish LOL.
Eva makes so much noise and fuss, you'd think I was trying to strangle her. She is like that with everything though LOL. Bernie isnt quite so bad but is very wriggly.
God forbid should any of them become ill like Winston, then again maybe when they reach the age he was they will have mellowed and become as trusting with me as Winston was.

Hreow
14-05-2006, 10:10 AM
He he he...that part about growing more legs has always reminded me of pictures of the Indian goddess Kali with 3 arms on each side:-D :-D

About as kind and forgiving as the destructive aspect Kali as well... Ouch!

yola
14-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Fifi and Balie are no problem to tablet. Up-end them in my lap, hold their jaw open and pop the tablet in. Ferdy, who was on lots of tablets with his FIV was a 'mare!! I had to wedge him between my knees whilst kneeling on the floor and basically wrestle!!! Darcy just wriggles and wriggles and coz he's small and lithe I've not yet sucessfully managed to adminster a tablet to him. He's also so tiny and fragile I'm a bit scared of holding him too hard :roll:

Naomi
14-05-2006, 01:46 PM
No probs with Moli here either, so long as I mix it with her food.