PDA

View Full Version : How many is too many?

moggymommy
13-05-2006, 09:28 AM
What do you think, if your cats go outside how many is too many, and if they stay inside how many is too many?

Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough?

I've stopped at 3 children, but I secretly would love at least one more :lol:

smudgley
13-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I think it's a very personal decision. We have always had 2 or 3 cats of our own, but then I have a lot of foster cats as well (all outside in pens) so for me 2 or 3 is as many as I would want. I know some people who have got 10 / 12 cats & they are all healthy / happy / vaccinated etc. I do know 1 lady who has 12 indoor cats, but they have a large run attached to the house & they are all happy & all rescues that she couldn't rehome for one reason or another.

Booktigger
13-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I found out last year that 5 is a comfortable limit for me, and 6 can be quite hard work, but that did depend on the personalities of the fosters and how well tehy get on. Financially I can only afford 2 though, so the others have to be fosters. The 4 I have are all allowed outdoor access, but short term fosters aren't.

Snoof
13-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I think it's a very personal question. I do think the number would be lower for me if they had to be indoor cats, simply because of the litterscooping (I have bad hands and trouble bending or hunkering down). I do think being an indoor-only cat is more fun if you have friends. (Edit: feline friends, rather than "just" human ones.)

I'd say if they had to be indoor-only, four or five would be my limit. Outdoor cats (I don't really like that term, because it implies the cat stays outdoor permanently when I have always given my "outdoor" cats free access to be inside or outside as they choose) I think six or seven...

But the reality of it is, if I see a cat who needs some form of help I can give (often in the form of a house) I can't say no and I take them in if at all possible :smt102

Edit: The size of the house also factors in. In this house (three-story Victorian terraced) I could have more cats than I could do in a little bungalow - certainly if they were indoor-only. It is, in fact, part of the reason I always want to live in a sizable house. Even if the cats have the ability to go outside as they choose, some cats prefer not to or prefer to spend the majority of their time inside. Some won't go out when it's rainy or cold, so even if they're out a lot in summer they'll be in a lot in winter.

I'm sure large numbers of cats can be quite happy even in a relatively small home, but I much prefer they have the space to run around madly if that's what they decide to do :lol:

Also, with multiple cats, it's nice if they can easily have the mad playfights that scatter them everywhere without inconveniencing anyone.

Kazz
13-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I've has one cat, then I had two cats, and I think the limit for me would be 3 cats, but with age gap. But not all the same age, as I could not bear to loose them all to old age at approx the same time. :( So three for me, I could be comfortable with 3 max, healthcare wise, food wise, care wise.

candyshandy
13-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I have 3 cats, single and work full time. What with the grooming and the attention they individually require I know I am now at my limit. To invite another cat into my home would be unfair not only to my 3 but to the newbie also.

Need to get a man I think so I can adopt some more :p

bobbie3917
13-05-2006, 03:00 PM
i think 3 is my limit indoor or out

borderdawn
13-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I have 4 at present, somebody is here all day, so they have company all the time, come and go as they please but are confined to the garden if they go outside. I like 4, but having had 5 dogs (bigger than these dogs now) I think 5 Cats would be fine.
Dawn.

kittyfix
13-05-2006, 05:30 PM
i have 5 cats of my own, 4 foster kittens and 2 foster mum cats, i find it ok

Hreow
13-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Depends on what you're able/willing to do.
Depends on the cats - some prefer being an only cat, some are social.
Depends on the house - how big and how much the individual cats need apiece to feel comfortable.
Dumping it all back into your lap. :grin: