PDA

View Full Version : Tree help from you budding gardeners.

borderdawn
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
You know the cherry blossom trees, pink yes? Well what are the red ones? smaller blossom but red in colour not pink, and what is the white blossom tree?
Dawn.

logoes
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
The short reply is that they are all members of the Prunus family, this includes ornamental cherries, almonds,plums peaches. There are over 400 varieties and you need an expert to sort them out. If you want one of a particular colour a good garden centre should be able to supply you with what you want. Incidentally the flowering period is over about 3 months from March through to June, depending on which tree you pick. Oh dear sorry if it sounds too dry and complicated http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/images/icons/icon11.gif Logoes

Donna
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I dont know, sorry, but do love the blossom trees!! They are so pretty and when they first start coming out it tells me that winter is finally coming to an end :-)

borderdawn
12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
They are pretty arent they!

I just want to know what they are called really, they are all along one avenue by me, along with the cherry blossom and its beautiful. I'll go look up that family of trees now, and see if I can identify it. Thanks Logoes.
Dawn.

Kazz
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
The short reply is that they are all members of the Prunus family, this includes ornamental cherries, almonds,plums peaches. There are over 400 varieties and you need an expert to sort them out. If you want one of a particular colour a good garden centre should be able to supply you with what you want. Incidentally the flowering period is over about 3 months from March through to June, depending on which tree you pick. Oh dear sorry if it sounds too dry and complicated http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/images/icons/icon11.gif Logoes

That appears to be a very concise answer :) no more to add. Why Dawn?

borderdawn
12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Just because I think they are lovely and I wondered what they were, nobody seems to know, come on Kazz, you are the gardening oracle, HELP!
Dawn.

Hreow
12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
The pear-trees along the street here have red flowers. Whether yours are the same, or I'm any help at all... : /