PDA

View Full Version : Life with a one eyed cat?/ advice

Luke
12-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Well i was just wondering *has a secret alterior motive* what life would be like with a one eyed cat?
How the cat would cope in general life?
Would the cat need supervised garden access/run excersise/or confined to the house all together?
Any answers/advice would be great, thanks in advance!:D

Moli
12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Janey would be the best person to answer this Luke, her Tigger only has one eye!

Snoof
12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Cats adapt quite fast (just think of Sidney with his deformed front paws!) and I suspect that after an initial period of confusion and adaptation they'd be fine. Depth perception might be off, but it would depend on how the eye was lost and whether it was ever there (my friend is almost completely blind in one eye, but was born that way and simply adapted - her depth perception is fine).

Janey's Tigger only has one eye and he lost it later on in life I believe, as she showed us pictures of him as a kitten with two eyes - so she may be able to help :-)

Fran
12-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I used to have a cat that lost the sight in one eye Luke. He managed very well and still used to have outside access during the day. You wouldn't have known that he had limited vision if you would have met him. I think they adapt very well Luke. Sure Jane will be able to offer more advice..

dinahsmum
12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Enigmatic thread Luke? Mmm, one eyed? Not one of the kittens at your Aunts?
If it's a girl you could call her Gabrielle (I think :oops: Wasn't that the pop singer who wore a sequinned eye patch?)

Luke
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks All...so basically it wouldn't affect the cats quality of life too much, even though they were born this way?
and nope Dm, not one of the stray kittens, they all have names on them now..

janey83
12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
what life would be like with a one eyed cat? - Its no different to a cat having 2 eyes! (I don't think, I cant remember what Tigger was like with 2 eyes). But because he lost his eye when he was a year old, he got use to it very easily.

How the cat would cope in general life? - My cat has been fine with one eye. It hasn't put him off anything at all, If anything i think its made him more aware if everything around him!
But since he has gotten older I have noticed in the past 2 months-ish, that his judging isn't quite a 100% anymore its more like 99%, but that is just old age/balance!

Would the cat need supervised garden access/run excersise/or confined to the house all together? No, What we did when tigger had his eye out, we got a pole and stuck it in the middle of the back garden with string attached to it, then attached that to a lead n just put him on that when he wanted to go out!
He was only on that for about a year or so, Just so's that he could get use to things around him and I think it did him the world of good. Now he just stays around in the street, n doesn't go to far!

Hope i helped you on that:)

Luke
12-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks Janey-Helped loads!!!:D:D

Kazz
12-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Come on then Luke spill the beans :)

Mags
12-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmmmm.....what's going on in your head now Luke??:lol:

Donna
12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Wonder what is happening?? Why is Luke asking this?

Being nosey!!!

Kazz
12-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Wonder what is happening?? Why is Luke asking this?

Being nosey!!!

I don't think anyone has any idea why he has asked this, but there again we never really know why Luke asks certain questions :roll: but they are normally good questions especially when he has a plan behind the question; but it usually all comes out in the wash. ;) Be patient....and join me in shouting.......LUKE WHY HAVE YOU ASKED THIS QUESTION? .....see patience :-D

Donna
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?luke Why Have You Asked This Question?

Het
12-05-2006, 08:17 PM
I know:D

You might as well spill the beans Luke...or these ladies will string you up:D

(sorry Luke:roll: )

Snoof
12-05-2006, 08:18 PM
String him up and steal his cats :-D :-D :-D Count me in, dibs on Elsa!

:lol:

I'm really curious here...

Luke
12-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I can not say anything yet as there is nothing concrete to report..
and Hetty..shush!!:lol:

Het
12-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I can not say anything yet as there is nothing concrete to report..
and Hetty..shush!!:lol:

my lips are sealed.....nearly:D (Crikey I would have been useless in the war, 'loose lips sink ships' and all that:? )

borderdawn
12-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I board a Cat with one eye (and no tail) and he copes fine, no problems with judging distance, jumping or anything.
Dawn.

Luke
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
my lips are sealed.....nearly:D (Crikey I would have been useless in the war, 'loose lips sink ships' and all that:? )
Yes Het...thats why you would have been shot along the way!!:lol::lol::lol:
Only joking....i am not saying anything as not wanting to jinx anything...
Thanks Dawn, i wouldn't have thought a cat would be too affected by one eye..specially not this type of cat...

bobbie3917
13-05-2006, 01:40 AM
i had a dog that lost his eye at 2 years old
it took him a while to get used to the fact that he had to turn his head to see what was on the left of him, he often jumped if some1 walked up on him on that side but i would say with in 6 weeks he was fine with that. he was a very good jumper (get out of any garden) and the fact he only had 1 eye didn't stop him or make him make mistakes in distance

i know this is a dog not cat but hope it help

and if it was born like it then the kitten will never know any difference so shouldn't harm it at all

Kazz
13-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I know:D

You might as well spill the beans Luke...or these ladies will string you up:D

(sorry Luke:roll: )

HaHa Het is theweak link in this chain she can be badgered into talking...........:-D Het what do you know, Het what do you know, Het what do you know?................ :-D

Snoof
13-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Who's got a stick we can poke Luke and Het with? Teasing's not nice :smt018

Kazz
13-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Who's got a stick we can poke Luke and Het with? Teasing's not nice :smt018

Me I have a stick :twisted:

Kim
13-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Luke, we have had some cats at the rescue centre with only one eye. I think they cope very well and I never really noticed any difference. There was a gorgeous black one that I was SO tempted to adopt - but hey that's another story.....!

Snoof, yes you are right Sidney has adapted so well and in my experience cats generally cope very well with disability.

Luke
13-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Ladies, PLEASE have patience...i can't say anything yet as nothing is set in concrete..its merely something in the pipeline..but as soon as i have a definate answer..then yes, i shall tell you!:D

borderdawn
13-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Pipeline, what pipeline? Tis no good giving woment half a story Luke, we DEMAND full disclosure!

NOW!
Dawn.:-D

Luke
13-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Pipeline, what pipeline? Tis no good giving woment half a story Luke, we DEMAND full disclosure!

NOW!
Dawn.:-D
But Dawn..if this goes 'not in my favour' then it will be pointless to get all your hopes up...we are waiting for some conformation calls and thats all im saying:wink

Kazz
13-05-2006, 07:43 PM
But Dawn..if this goes 'not in my favour' then it will be pointless to get all your hopes up...we are waiting for some conformation calls and thats all im saying:wink

But Luke we live with Hope.:) without it we flounder :( so give us hope:-D

Het
13-05-2006, 07:44 PM
aww show em the pic Luke..............oooooooooooops...:oops:

Luke
13-05-2006, 07:46 PM
But Luke we live with Hope.:) without it we flounder :( so give us hope:-D
Okay..there is a SMALL, note the SMALL chance a one eyed kitten may be coming to join the mad house...we still are stuck a bit with how Elsa n her problems would take to a new baby...and are awaiting some conformative phone calls etc...

Luke
13-05-2006, 07:48 PM
aww show em the pic Luke..............oooooooooooops...:oops:
HEATHER RIPLEY!!!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::shock: i am going to hunt u down...and kick your ass!

Het
13-05-2006, 07:50 PM
HEATHER RIPLEY!!!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::shock: i am going to hunt u down...and kick your ass!

I'm sorry..........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

borderdawn
13-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Right, thats it SHOW the pic and tell the story!! I do understand your concerns with Elsa though.
Dawn.

Kazz
13-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Well now we know Luke you have to posta piccie and tell the whole story and nothing but the story:) .......NOW

Fran
14-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Come on Luke...We want piccies - now!!! :-D

Luke
15-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Ok..wellwe had been offered/expressed interst in a one eyed siamese kitten..she was very sweet and she just looked as if she was winking:lol:..however we had various issues that were possiblly standing in the way..mainly concerning our present pets.
Polly (Jack Russell) is quite an old bird now and hasn't been in the best health of recent, and i don't think its fair to subject her to a kitten or a kitten to her.
Elsa is, well Elsa! and i think i have enough to handle catswise trying to 'tame' her..
Mum left the ball in my court when deciding..and i was the one who, sadly, drew the conclusion that the time just isn't right.
I know you all probably think im absoloutley bonkers for passing this opportunity..but i have to take the other furbabies into account afterall!:)

Snoof
15-05-2006, 11:04 AM
What a loving decision you made, Luke. Tough one, but overall perhaps for the best. It's hard sometimes to decide whether your pets could handle a new addition, and unless you can do it on a trial basis it's sometimes not worth the risk.

Can we still see the picture though?

Luke
15-05-2006, 11:15 AM
What a loving decision you made, Luke. Tough one, but overall perhaps for the best. It's hard sometimes to decide whether your pets could handle a new addition, and unless you can do it on a trial basis it's sometimes not worth the risk.

Can we still see the picture though?
I know i have done the right thing..however it doesn't feel like it lol.
I can't really show the pics as they were sent privatley from the breeder so..

Mags
15-05-2006, 11:43 AM
You have made a sensible decision Luke in putting your other pets needs and requirements first......one day perhaps;)

Sweet
15-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Sensible decision Luke x Like Mags says....maybe one day x

Kazz
15-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Good on you Luke. A descision made from the head as well as the heart :)

borderdawn
15-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Probably the best choice Luke, given the circumstances. I thought Polly was doing ok though? Is she 8yrs or so?
Dawn.

Luke
15-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Probably the best choice Luke, given the circumstances. I thought Polly was doing ok though? Is she 8yrs or so?
Dawn.
Yes she will be eight years this October (i think)..she is doing ok but she just isn't as tolerable as she used to be..and shes a going a little deaf i think..and well, its nowt major but shes just becoming an old bird and can't be bothered with whippersnappers no more:lol:

Kazz
15-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I thought Polly was a small dog? I woudn't have thought 8 would be classed as old in dog age other than maybe great dane or something like that :? I've always classed my Staffs middle aged "just grown up" at 8 :D

Luke
15-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I thought Polly was a small dog? I woudn't have thought 8 would be classed as old in dog age other than maybe great dane or something like that :? I've always classed my Staffs middle aged "just grown up" at 8 :D
She is Karen, but shes had a few recent years peppered with a few ill spells, had three strokes (i think) to date and ne left her with mild brain damage, and she also something with her heart (it may be a murmour, i can't recall entirely)..and it doesn't halter her too much but she just has to take life at a bit of a slower pace nowdays, shorter walks etc. But the past year, with inductions of a puppy and a kitten did seem to 'throw her off track' a bit and she did find it a bit hard to try and keep up with them..but the order is restored to the house a bit more now, and this was one of the finalising decisions of why we wouldnt take the kitten on..it didn't seem right to upset the balance again amongst other things:)

Kazz
15-05-2006, 08:04 PM
She is Karen, but shes had a few recent years peppered with a few ill spells, had three strokes (i think) to date and ne left her with mild brain damage, and she also something with her heart (it may be a murmour, i can't recall entirely)..and it doesn't halter her too much but she just has to take life at a bit of a slower pace nowdays, shorter walks etc. But the past year, with inductions of a puppy and a kitten did seem to 'throw her off track' a bit and she did find it a bit hard to try and keep up with them..but the order is restored to the house a bit more now, and this was one of the finalising decisions of why we wouldnt take the kitten on..it didn't seem right to upset the balance again amongst other things:)

Thats a shame Luke, 8 is a babe still but I am glad she is okay. And the descision is yours :-D and I think all things considered its the right one. But still a picture would have been nice.;)

Het
16-05-2006, 11:55 AM
A hard decision to make Luke, but I'm sure that little girl will be very special to someone. It always amazes me the things a cat can live with and overcome.

Elaine
16-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Thats such a shame Luke but you are right to take current circumstances into account before embarking on adding to your fur family. I have no doubt that there will be opportunity further along the way for new pets and that you will provide them with a very loving and deserving home. Right now though, your current pets need you to put their needs first.
A very tough decision but a frank one.;)

Donna
16-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Think you made the right choice Luke.