PDA

View Full Version : Motor oil out of a cat's coat?

Snoof
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
We've got some plans in the works regarding this beauty (http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=6295). I don't want to say too much in case it doesn't pan out, but I do want some tips (if possible) on how to get motor oil out of a cat's coat.

Vet's advice will be sought (if only so her current condition can be documented for future reference and in case owners turn up - we may report her owners to animal welfare if possible) but in the meantime I'm trying to be prepared for what's coming.

Who has had a cat covered in motor oil before? How do you get it out?

yola
10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
The only thing I can suggest is shampooing with a de-greasing (but specially for animals) shampoo. Now if this is a nervous cat this might not be possible . . . I think there might be a thing such a de-greasing wipes that you can just rub over her.

Good luck - she looks like a little darling and would probably benefit from some TLC :-)

Snoof
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
That she will get - as soon as I stop foaming at the mouth over the people who neglected her.

dinahsmum
10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Our old Roger - jet black, 1974 - 198? - came home one day covered in oil from the tip of his tail to about his armpits. Must have fallen backwards into an oil can/whatever. :( I found him after he had laid on both the new duvet covers I had got for the kids :roll:
He was actually like an oiled bird - no way I could treat him, so he had to go off to the vet for sedative and shampoo. He was fine after.

I don't think your little visitor needs anything as drastic. The grime looks quite old, so i don't think it needs anything urgent. You could try gentle rubbing with a 'microfibre' cloth - they are very good for picking 'stuff' up. Maybe try to rub in a little Fullers Earth to absorb the grease?

I think it will wear off in time, with good housing, a comfy bed and lots of tlc. Good luck.

Naomi
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Moli is forever getting covered in motor oil :roll: She doesn't like having a bath so I used wet wipes on her, gave her a stroke using the wet wipes and it got most of the muck off.

Hreow
10-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Seeing the oil.... could she have been hiding in an engine of a car that drove off and have escaped without being seen?
Googling brought up vegetable-oil rubbed into the coat and then soaked up with paper and then flour(:shock:). Finish with a baby-shampoo bath. Good luck on that one... :-) Naomi's advice seems sound and fairly pain free.

carternm31
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah stroking her with wet wipe in hand is a good idea. I do this with Jaf every now and again.

dinahsmum
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Just remember that whatever you put on is liable to be licked off. Veg. oil wouldn't hurt, don't suppose flour would either but prob wouldn't taste good.
Think I'd stick with my - let nature take its course and let it wear off - plan.

Hreow
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Depends on the cat...Rover helps me bake. I gave him a bit of his own to play with until he discovered he liked eating it as well... Now he only gets to supervise. I was more imagining the state of mess with wet fur and flour...Ick!
The problem I can see with "let nature..." is if there is more oil (she doesn't seem that bad - most of it gone?). Can't be good for the cat to swallow too much engine-oil.

Also re-read the other thread... not old oil - recurring problem. I shall go away and practice reading comprehension now... {slinks off}

Julie84
10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
During horrible oil spills (off coast lines) wildlife people mainly use washing up liquid (and then a bath) to get the oil out of birds' feathers. Something in washing up liquid that emulsifies fats and oils. I'd certainly prefer this to a cat ingesting motor oil. :-?

Snoof
10-05-2006, 04:00 PM
During horrible oil spills (off coast lines) wildlife people mainly use washing up liquid (and then a bath) to get the oil out of birds' feathers. Something in washing up liquid that emulsifies fats and oils. I'd certainly prefer this to a cat ingesting motor oil. :-?
Canis-Equus mentioned this and I have filed it away as a good idea. Washing up liquid is formulated to take care of grease so yep, that's a possible solution. I used it when my son rubbed gobs and gobs of vaseline all over everything :shock:

The reason I don't just want to leave it is because it's a recurring problem and we don't know how much she may have ingested :? She seems ok within herself, but we don't see her often enough to be sure that she is - although, as mentioned, when we catch her we will take her straight to a vet.

Donna
10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Good luck with her Snoof. She deserves a bit of TLC.

agbag
29-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I also just use a baby wipe( sensitive skin) Billy is always comin home covered, he loves going under he cars as they are warm.