PDA

View Full Version : Play tower/scratchy post

dinahsmum
10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
See - I don't even know what they are called - we never had them in the olden days! :roll:
Anyway, seeing as we have a reasonable home now, without the assistance of children to beat it up, I'd *like* the kittens to keep their claws off the furniture/stair carpet.
Can anybody give me advice on size/style for these things and, if you have it, a decent manufacturer/supplier (on-line fine or have a P@H near enough)

Nicola
10-05-2006, 09:21 AM
There are so many different styles out there. My two have a little one but also a really tall one. The really tall one has quite a lot of weight to it so is quite sturdy. I am sure your puss cats will love whatever you choose:)

yola
10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
My 3 completely ignored the big 'kitty condo' I got for them to the point that I gave it away to my colleagues at Cats Protection for their foster kitties. However I understand most cats (especially kittens) adore these (ok, so I have weird cats . . . :roll: ). They can be quite expensive either on line, mail order or via pet shops of varying magnitudes - over £100 in some cases, but I got mine for £20 thanks to BM's Lidl tip a few months ago.

I'm going to replace them with the smaller, single-scratch-post-on-base affair. However as the last time I bought one of these was about 8 years ago I can't remember for the life of me what they cost!!

Fran
10-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I got my cat activity centre from Pets at home. I have seen it elsewhere a lot cheaper, however, so do shop around. It was a God send when Claude and Clooney where babies and even now they play/sleep on it. The new kittens are just taking and interest in it...so all though I paid over the odds, it has been worth every penny...

Here's mine..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/ClaudeCooneyonactivitycentre3.jpg

Hreow
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Scratch-posts need to be long/high enough for the cat to reach up and scratch, and they need to be stable. (And some cats don't scratch vertically, but horisontally (Carpeted stairs, Underside of sofas!!)) Fran's is good - the kittens have the right size posts and the adults can reach up to the first-floor ones for height. (Won't mean they do, but they need the possibility). Platform-wise I think anything high and in a place they can observe something (windows are good) will meet with approval.

Rover has a simple three-floor thing with a hidey-box at the bottom, two posts up to a platform with a dip in it (where he sleeps) and one post up from that with a small square platform where he complains at the birds, or washes.

honeybunny
10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
I have a tall scratching post that was £25 in Lidl at some point early last year. We bought it thinking it's only £25, we'll see how it lasts and it doesn't matter if it doesn't last long and its still going strong! They've got a bit bored with it though so it may be time to hide it in the study for a few weeks and then bring it out again. I do tend to rotate their toys like that LOL

Snoof
10-05-2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.zooplus.co.uk sell a range of scratching posts/activity centres. I'm planning to get one, but I want to wait until we get the kittens. I think Ninja might like it as it will enable him to be inside and also high up (which means he won't ever have to run away when he's on it) and I don't want him to get used to it being his safe space only to have it invaded by the kits :roll:

dinahsmum
10-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Fran's one looks like I was thinking of. Big enough for two!? Do they sleep there too, or just play? Some have sleepy hammocks

Fran
10-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Fran's one looks like I was thinking of. Big enough for two!? Do they sleep there too, or just play? Some have sleepy hammocks

Yes they do sleep on it. They fight over the top bunk! They both used to sleep up there together as kittens but now they are the size they are, there is only enough room for one at a time :-D

Julie84
10-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Lidl (when they have their offers on) or zooplus. Although both have been said already I think! :oops:

Sweet
10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Mine love theirs x

dinahsmum
10-05-2006, 05:22 PM
There's certainly a variety! Most expensive/exotic I've found so far is £199.99 (+p&p!).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/cattree.jpg

For people with more money than sense, I think :roll: Wish I'd gone off to Lidl when everyone was raving over their 'pet special' week!

I'll get something before the monsters arrive - it will be nice for them to have their own territory.

Hreow
10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Hmm. I'd rather get four of the cheap ones and pocket the rest. Think they get much more use.

Moli
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Argos do one similar to the Lidel one at 29.99..........

candyshandy
10-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I got mine from zooplus and its great - sturdy with hidey holes and a hammock :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/tree.jpg

dinahsmum
11-05-2006, 05:35 PM
This one looks OK. Is it the same as yours Fran? It's at Argos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/cattree2.jpg

CathyW
11-05-2006, 07:16 PM
mine dont need a tower they have a climbing tower ME :lol:

Fran
11-05-2006, 07:21 PM
This one looks OK. Is it the same as yours Fran? It's at Argos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/cattree2.jpg

Yes it's the same as mine DM..just a different colour. How much is it in Argos?

dinahsmum
12-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Thought it looked the same Fran. It's £60 at Argos. I have one ordered to pick up next week, although being Argos I don't have to pick it up - I'm only a reference number, rather than a specific customer with a definite order.
Sounds a lot, but if they like it and use it well, then £60 didvided by 2 cats divided by 20 years doesn't sound bad value!

Fran
12-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Thought it looked the same Fran. It's £60 at Argos. I have one ordered to pick up next week, although being Argos I don't have to pick it up - I'm only a reference number, rather than a specific customer with a definite order.
Sounds a lot, but if they like it and use it well, then £60 didvided by 2 cats divided by 20 years doesn't sound bad value!

I think £60 sounds reasonable DM. I paid £99 :shock:

Not quite sure it will last 20 years though :? :-D

dinahsmum
12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Oooh - I've found a bargain!
I'll take it back if it doesn't do 20 years!