PDA

View Full Version : My cat is toileting in the hall.

TheFlyingHaggis
09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
One of my cats, Holly, has developed a problem recently.

We have had holly and her brother Tigger for maybe 3 years, and later Mischa and Tea-leaf for about a year now.

Since about November, Holly has begun doing the toilet in the hallway, at the front door. The litter trays are kept clean, and Holly, Tigger and Tea-leaf all go out during the day. We couldnt work out which of the cats it was because we never saw them doing it. We have always cleaned it up, and have now removed all the hall carpet, laid vinyl flooring and repainted the area. It stopped for a while, and started again a few weeks ago.

Last night I saw Holly sniffing round, where I had just cleaned, and because of the smell of cleaner, she went in my handbag.

I was speechless, and so shocked, but dont know what to do.

I took her to the vet this morning in case she is ill, but there is nothing blatently wrong with her. All the vet could suggest was to keep cleaning the whole area the way I have, and not leave my handbag on the floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions why she is dong this, now, and how to stop her?

Thanks,

TFH

Fran
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi again and welcome to the site. How many litter trays do you have? and have you got one in the hallway near to where she is doing her business?

TheFlyingHaggis
09-05-2006, 02:50 PM
No, its right at the front door, and if we put one there, we wouldnt get the door open, plus the smell is awful, esp if anyone is coming round.

We usually have 3 litter trays in the summer, more in the colder weather, because Tigger and Tealeaf (both boys) wont use them at all. They are really only for Mischa, who's an indoor cat.

Fran
09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
What type of litter do you use and have you changed the brand recently? Have there been any major changes in the household which would cause her to be stressing? Where is she in the heirachy of your cat family? Is she a dominant cat?

TheFlyingHaggis
09-05-2006, 03:03 PM
She is the least dominant cat you will ever meet.

She doesnt like Mischa very much, and stays out of her way, which I suppose could be a cause, but if so, how do I deal?

I would say Tigger is the boss, and holly and Mischa vie for his affection, and Tealeaf just kinda floats about, very mellow.

We use the pink litter, fraid the name escapes me at the mo, but its the biggest bag I can buy in the pet shop. Have used it for about a year now, before, used the non-pink one of same brand. (If that makes sense)

Hreow
09-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Does the door have a cat-flap, and do you have other cats in the neighbourhood? Might be a way of marking that this is *her* turf to keep strangers out?

carternm31
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Hmm you may have to put a litter tray in the hallway temporarily, just till she starts using it again then slowly edge it back towards the door. If theres no medical explanation you may just have to start again :?

My Jaf did this a while ago, it was due to the tom downstairs making his mark in our lounge, shes still terrified of the tom, but since we got our puppy she is a lot more confident about going out, and the doggy smell keep the tom out too!

TheFlyingHaggis
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Does the door have a cat-flap, and do you have other cats in the neighbourhood? Might be a way of marking that this is *her* turf to keep strangers out?

Thing is, none of the cats use the front door, it goes onto the street, so we keep them to the back. She's only ever been through that door in a carrier.

Do you think she can smell outside through the door?

Bengal Babe
09-05-2006, 04:54 PM
One of my cats, Holly, has developed a problem recently.

We have had holly and her brother Tigger for maybe 3 years, and later Mischa and Tea-leaf for about a year now.

Since about November, Holly has begun doing the toilet in the hallway, at the front door. The litter trays are kept clean, and Holly, Tigger and Tea-leaf all go out during the day. We couldnt work out which of the cats it was because we never saw them doing it. We have always cleaned it up, and have now removed all the hall carpet, laid vinyl flooring and repainted the area. It stopped for a while, and started again a few weeks ago.

Last night I saw Holly sniffing round, where I had just cleaned, and because of the smell of cleaner, she went in my handbag.

I was speechless, and so shocked, but dont know what to do.

I took her to the vet this morning in case she is ill, but there is nothing blatently wrong with her. All the vet could suggest was to keep cleaning the whole area the way I have, and not leave my handbag on the floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions why she is dong this, now, and how to stop her?

Thanks,

TFH

D'arcy tinkled in my handbag when he was a baby - I couldn't tell him off -as I was gob smacked and I was laughing so much - bless him -he hasn't done it since - though he has peed on hubbys washing - could have been worse - could have been mine :D

Tia pooped on the floor several times when Zak & D'arcy arrived - so I move the tray to where she had done it- she then pooped just outside it - then one night she Pooped halfway down the stairs. I read in my cat book that they can do this as a protest. so she was protesting that I had bought the boys into her home.

Donna
09-05-2006, 05:29 PM
After reading "Cat Confidential" I would say she is being intimidated by the other cats, so she cannot feel secure in using the litter trays you have provided. Usually an extra litter tray helps as there is less chance of her being "stopped" from using one if there are two are three - as they all cant be guarded at the same time.

EmmaG
09-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I agree with Donna, the chances are that she is being intimidated. Try another tray but in another place and see if that works

dinahsmum
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry - I don't know enough cat psychology to tell you what she is trying to tell you but I'm sure there is a message there (no pun intended).
Maybe the 'put a litter tray there and gradually move it to where you want it to stay' tactic is the best way.
Poor you (you and the puss) - hope it gets sorted soon.

Sweet
09-05-2006, 07:31 PM
I cannot really offer any good advice, I am a new Mummy to my two :) but hope its sorted for you soon x

Fran
09-05-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree with Donna. I too have read 'Cat Confidential' and think an extra litter tray might help..Good luck, let us know how you get on

TheFlyingHaggis
10-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys,

We didnt have any problems last night, and hopefully putting a litter tray at the door will help.

So long as she doesnt decide to find an alternative, like the bottom of the wardrobe! :roll: