PDA

View Full Version : Home checks?

Snoof
08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I thought we had a thread on this not too long ago, but I can't seem to find it :?

A year ago, our rescue didn't do home checks (but did require a letter from the landlord from people who rent) for cats... Now they do. What do they look for? I've been looking on their site, but all they say is that they carry out the homechecks - not what they look for.

Also, I have a three-story house. Will they be checking all of it? Will I need to show them the foodbowls/toys/litterboxes, even though none of them are currently sitting out? And will they need to see Ninja, because during the day he's just as likely to be out as he is to be home...

I'm very nervous about this, clearly... Even though they haven't got any suitable kittens in at the moment!

EmmaG
08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Not 100% sure Snoof but I would have thought that they would be checking that your home is suitable for a pet, with cats I would have thought that they will check to see how close you live to any main roads, also see the condition that your house is in, I doubt that they rehome animals to homes that are obviously untidy/dirty, whether the other tenants have got pets, i.e dogs.

yola
08-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I think it's a case of suitability of property vis a vis the type of cat you want (indoor, single pet only, no kids etc). I don't think you need to worry unduly. I know our homecheckers would, for instance, frown on me if I wanted an outside cat as we live on a very busy road.

Why don't you just ask them what they're looking for and what their criteria are? I'm sure they'll not be looking to trick you or trip you up in any way.

Snoof
08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
We own the house, so there are no pets that don't belong to us. We do have two rats, but they're in a safe cage and can't be gotten to (I have lots of trouble opening it myself and nobody else can figure it out :lol:).
Aside from that, we only have Ninja.

Oh, and I do know they will rehome to people with kids, unless the cat specifically can't be around children. I asked :-)

They told me to ring every day to ask about kittens, so when I ring them tomorrow I'll ask them what they're looking for homecheck-wise.