PDA

View Full Version : Why did you get your cat?

Kazz
07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I wonder why you all got your cat?

So why did you get your past, present or even future cat(s)?

Kazz
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I got Archie many many years ago when I first left home and moved into a flat 25 years ago I couldn't have a dog, as I was at work full time so a friend of a friend of my sister had a litter of kittens and I got a black and white boy who I called Archie. He was about 5 weeks old much too young I know that now but didn't back then :? he was a lovely cat who would play fetch you rolled his "fluffy" toy he would bring it back and off you'd go again he was run over and killed when he was 9-10 months old.:(

After Archie I got Oscar and Cleo.:D

CathyW
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
we got ronnie n reggie from a nice lady called jackie, she knew we had lost our monty to a car accident, and after a while asked if we wanted a kitten, they came from riggewell nth essex, met mummy cat and daddy cat, and they where the last 2 left, just couldnt choose between them so took them both home :D

Sweet
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Violet was from a farm. I had previously been to a BBQ at the farm and they had an adorable little fluffy kitty - put my order in straight away from the next litter.

We got her in Sept. 05 and only 4 wks old. I now know that was far too young - but I am a new Mummy to kitty's!

Mau Mau was from Bristol Dogs/Cats home, just wanted her straight away!

Mags
07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
I got my first cat Sam mainly to introduce my children to the love and care of animals. It was one of the best things I did.....they used to feed him, groom him and generally look after him and were devoted to him....

I got Cassie about four months after Sam was PTS. I knew that if I had another cat it would have to have some ginger in it to remind me of my big ginger tom.........hence my tortoiseshell!:D

Snoof
07-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Our first cat, Fred, was my brother's pet. He had a rabbit, I had a Guinea pig. When my GP died (heart attack) he gave me the rabbit and my father gave him a hamster. Then the hamster died. He'd always wanted a cat, so he got Fred as a kitten.

Jake came about because my French teacher asked if anyone wanted a kitten and I talked my father into it.

Dishrag... I wanted a cat. I was alone at home half the time, and most of the other half was spent sleeping. We told the landlord we'd like a cat and he found us one - the lady who saw him being thrown out of a car wanted to find him a home where there would be people more often, because he was so sociable and she worked too much.

Manfish came to us because her owners were abusing her and didn't want her anymore - "she got shy" :mad:

I stole Rajah from my then-boyfriend's neighbour because she was getting thinner by the day. We knew her owner didn't care. She'd stopped grooming entirely. I took her straight to the vet and nursed her to some semblance of health before having to bring her into the CPL (I wasn't allowed to have pets, but I just couldn't leave her to it and the vet was talking about putting her to sleep if nobody could take care of her).

Matt got Ninja, I'm not sure why he wanted a cat. There was a lovely grey female he was going to take, but she was found as a stray, fairly close to where we live so he couldn't. Then he saw Ninja and fell in love.

The kittens we'll be getting are in part for Ninja - he loves other cats, we found out the cat he used to fight (been a while now) was an unneutered tom. That tom's stopped coming round because he's frightened of us and only really wanted to steal Ninja's wet food. In part, of course, it's because we want more cats, but if it doesn't work out with Ninja we'll be taking them back. The rescue is aware of this.

janey83
07-05-2006, 10:01 PM
We got Tigger because my auntie went to get a cat from her friends n took my mum with her!
Then when they came back home, me and my brother went over to our cousins to see the new kitten, n then we begged our mum to get us a cat! So off they went again n got Tigger. My dad didn't know anything about it, first he heard was when me n my bro ran back to our house saying mums gone getting us a cat! lol.

Fran
07-05-2006, 11:41 PM
My very first two cats of my own I got because my first hubby used to work night shifts and I was lonely....I haven't looked back since and I now have/get cats for no reason at all but just because I am smitten ;)

smudgley
08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
My very first two cats of my own I got because my first hubby used to work night shifts and I was lonely....I haven't looked back since and I now have/get cats for no reason at all but just because I am smitten ;)

...............:cool:

dandysmom
08-05-2006, 01:58 AM
My parents got Scamper a a kitten for me when I was six. He was an outdoor cat & wandered off to die when I was a sophomore in college...Mom didn't believe he was dead & wouldn't let us get another.....after she died untimely when I was 25, I told Dad "I'm getting a cat!" I had always admired Siamese so got Su-Ling; after he passed away at 14, I just could not imagine live without a cat or cats!!!!

borderdawn
08-05-2006, 06:28 AM
My first Cat "Snowball" was here before me! he was a CPL rescue. Since then we had a Persian from my sister who moved away (breeder/exhibitor), Jessie from the Vets (rescue) Scooter from CPL, Schnapps from a breeder, Jazz from a man who crossbred Cats :x Darcy from CPL, and Wiggy from a breeder/exhibitor.
Dawn.

Hreow
08-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Because there was a cat-shaped hole in my life until I did. Or until the right cat found the hole. :smt017

Rosie
08-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I got my present cat, Rosie, when a lady who fostered both cats and dogs asked me to mind one of her foster kittens for a few days that was over eight years ago! I decided I would not get another cat until a grey one "came along" a friend of a friend's cat has just had a litter with a grey kitten but the owner says she wants to keep the kitten, if not I am having my grey!

Naomi
08-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I got my first cat just after I had miscarried our first baby. I needed something to fill that gap that had been left and she filled it. OH found her up his parents place and spoke to his parents about me having her. I took one look at her and fell in love, she was a ginger and white.

I got Moli and Sox back in November, I had just had to rehome my dogs cos of ill health and a friend of mine had 2 kittens but her landlord said they had to go so I offered to take them in on a short term basis, yeah right :roll: , until a forever home could be found. Within 3 days I had managed to work hubby round into us keeping them :D

Booktigger
08-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I Actually wasn't going to get any cats when my housemate moved out, as I didn't want to be tied down!! Then someone on the next street asked my neighbour (ex CPL) to home his mums cat or he was goign to microwave it. She knew I always wanted a pure white with blue eyes, and though I would settle for a pure white with green eyes - which I did. When she died, I realised hte house was too empty so went to the local CP and got Tigger. My mum told me I was stupid to get her as Ginger (cat who lived near her) was a stray, so the week after I went and got him. So in the space of 3 months, I had gone from not wanting any to having 2!! WAsn't going to get another after Tig, as Ginger was a different cat, but for some reason, my friend took me to a local rescue, and I couldn't walk away from hundreds of cats and dogs without asking if I could have one. And my friend actually picked Snowy cos she was such an ugly looking cat!! I got a phone call asking if I could take on a 10 year old female hours after coming back from Snowy's final visit to the vets, and as they were in the vets at the same time as us that morning, I thought it was fate!! Blackie came from a phone call DiddyDawn took, she couldnt take her as she had cat flu, and I Could. I wanted Molly from the moment the rescue told me about her, as she was very temperamental and I thought a home environment would do her good. Took me 8 months to get her though!!

Luke
08-05-2006, 03:43 PM
well had a fair few cats over the years-but will just cover present two:wink:
Clementine and her litter were 'bred' by an ex friend of my mothers, she bred ragdolls and one of her queens in call escaped and was mated by the stable yard mousers....Clem and brothers were outcome, the 'breeder' didn't want them, turned out onto stable yard to fend for themselves..when we stepped in. Clem stayed here, and her brothers were rehomed to homes where we still see them on and off:)
Elsa...i was looking for another kitten, someone one of my aunts new had an accidental pair of litters...both sired by the same BSH but mothered 1) by a persian 2)by a maine coon...sadly the MC lost most of her litter with just Elsa and one brother (if i remember rightly) left..she never 'took' to them totally so they were 'fostered' to the persian who had a litter sired by the same tom...its complicated lol. But basically, Elsa was just a 'searching for a kitten' one:D

Nicola
08-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I got Ramsay for my husband. Someone had a litter of kittens in the paper and it said she was the last one. No one seemed to want her so I went and got her. Gordon was from a local rescue.Saw him on an internet site and fell in love. I phoned about him and my husband also phoned about him (without eachother knowing) and he came home with us on Mothers day 2005:D

honeybunny
08-05-2006, 05:09 PM
I got my first cat (well first one since I stopped living with parents) because a lovely cat used to try to get into my house and I woul feed her - eventually I put a collar and note on her and her name was Squawky and she was a neighbours cat so I stopped letting her in and missed, got in tough with Cats Protection and adopted my ginger boy :)

Donna
08-05-2006, 05:54 PM
After being with the OH for 18 years I left and bought my own house. Just needed "something" to stop feeling lonely when the kids were at their dads. Got Chloe then six weeks later got Misty. And am desperately trying to stop myself getting more!!

Never had a cat in my life until now, but love watching them grow up, and love watching the children interact with them.