PDA

View Full Version : How did your cats get their name

Booktigger
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Apologies if this has been done on here, I haven't seen it yet.
Thought it would be interesting to see how your cats got their name. All mine, apart from one permanent and one foster have been named, and as most have been oldies, I have opted not to change their name - although people must have thought I was really unoriginal when I had Ginger and Snowy!! My second cat came without a name, and I wanted to call her Tiger, but my neighbour kept calling her Tigger, so I relented, but she was more of a Tiger!! And my first foster was named by my neighbour, she thought he looked like a Dixie!! I dont know how, he was white with black van markings.

Snoof
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
I didn't live here when Matt got Ninja, and didn't meet him until a month later, but Matt told me about his hiding and slinking around and I jokingly called him a Ninja Stealth Cat. It stuck. Matt, of course, denies that I actually named him ;)

Mags
07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
My previous cat was Sam, my current cat Cassie.........no particular reason why I called either of them those names......

Naomi
07-05-2006, 01:29 PM
My first cat got her name cos she was complete nutter and had a death wish.

Molly came to us with her name

Hreow
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Rover was named by the better half, because he's always wanted a cat called Rover. He's always considered himself a dog person. I must say Rover lives up to his name, being quite fond of his walks (meanders) and happy to fetch, chew sticks and do just about all but bark. :-)

Luke
07-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Clementine-the orange bits in her fur reminded me of the 'clementine' oranges..
Elsa-she was brave..had guts for lil..thus named after the lioness in Born free which incidentally is one of my fav. films:)

Donna
07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Misty and Chloe were chosen by my children.

CathyW
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
ronnie n reggie cause they where not very well behaved when they where little, they killed anything they could lay their paws on :lol: but loved their mum :D

Sweet
07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Violet - Elderly couple I met on my very first visit to the vets the same night I got Violet. Told them I wanted an old fashioned name - they suggested it! I loved it!

Mau Mau was Mau Mau by its previous owners, she was tagged but they no longer wanted her - thats all I know......so its stayed!

Kazz
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Cleo because it was a lovely name and suited her so much from a kitten till now. :D

Oscar was first called Flynn but it didn't suit him he stayed called Flynn only for about one night then the name Oscar came to me and suited him to the ground.:D

Moli
07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Leo is my sons cat and Leo is his birth sign....
Merlin was always up to something as a kitten...
Oliver was always hungry...
Casper.was Nero when I got him, but didn't like it..I thought he looked like a Casper...

dandysmom
07-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Leia & Patches were both named whrn I rehomed them; they knew their names, so they stuck, even if not my preference. Dandy's registered name was Juciful's Yankee Doodle Dandy ...I tried & tried to think of an Asian name for him since he was a Singapura, when it dawned on me that he was born in Massachussetts, so therefore, a "Yankee Doodle Dandy"!! Also known as Doodles. Misty, my first blue torbie just looked like a Misty to me (not very imaginative). and Sultan, my Aby was so regal in bearing & demeanor even as a kitten that he HAD to be a Sultan!! Not going back any further...this is long enough!! :-D

dandysmom
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Rover was named by the better half, because he's always wanted a cat called Rover. He's always considered himself a dog person. I must say Rover lives up to his name, being quite fond of his walks (meanders) and happy to fetch, chew sticks and do just about all but bark. :-)
Hreow, I've ben meaning to tell you there was a song in the late sixties by Noma Tanega called "Walkin' My Cat Named Dog". Doubt if it ever made it to the UK, but you can check the lyrics on Google if it would amuse you...and I noted that you csn also download a ringtone of it...lol

Jac
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Well C-Fur was C for cat. Purrdie was because of her purrr

carternm31
08-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Hmm well my last cat was called Chocolate (as when i was 2 that was all i seemed to eat), so it only seemed right to carry on the theme, Hance Jaffa Cake. (Also becuase she looks like a jaffa cake :D )

dandysmom
08-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Cartwenm, forgive this Yankee, but what is a Jaffa cake???

Snoof
08-05-2006, 08:33 PM
DM, a Jaffa cake is a biscuit (cookie) type of thing. It's a sponge cake bottom, with an orange goop on top of it, and then the orange goop is sealed in with a layer of chocolate. They're absolutely delicious, and the sole reason I changed my opinion on chocolate-plus-orange flavours from "Ick" to "Scrummy" :lol:

Edit: Picture:

http://www.123healthybalance.com/i/products/jaffa-cakes.jpg

The bulge on top is where the orange goop is :-)

dandysmom
08-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Snoof! Sounds tasty...my stomach is growling wishing I had one:-D

Snoof
08-05-2006, 10:00 PM
They're awesome, DM - if you want to send me your address I'd be more than happy to send you a box so you can try them :lol:

dandysmom
08-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Snoof, I'm tempted, tempted.....BUT since I managed to lose a couple of pounds with this stomach flu, think I'd better say thanks but no thanks...afraid I'd pig out on them!!!:-D

Snoof
08-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, nobody could blame you if you did :lol: But that's fair enough - make sure you show off the weight loss and tell people you did it by refusing delicious biscuits; it'll make you look like the dieting queen :lol: :-D