PDA

View Full Version : cant help but want another cat

jenny
04-05-2006, 10:37 PM
i cant help but keep thinking i so want another kitten. i know i cant because its just not right for indie, its just me thinkin that if she were ok with it i would love another.
i know i have to do whats right for indie, but its so heartbreaking to think that i cant have another

sorry, rant over

Moli
04-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Have I missed something, why can't you have a kitten because of Indie??

jenny
04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
hi moli, we had another dog with indie originally and had to rehome her because indie was getting possessive over bones and toys and eventually specks of dust. and was generally really jelous.
within the week of having tao she was displaying similar behaviour which i hadnt expected being that resources are different. it doesnt seem fair to indie to go and get another cat when she seems to prefer being the 'only pet'.

Kazz
04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Jen you are still in shock and grieving forTao.....it will pass. You should only have a cat if you "know" in your head its right and you know it isn't...fate moves in mysterious ways.....:) Take care.

Moli
04-05-2006, 10:47 PM
hi moli, we had another dog with indie originally and had to rehome her because indie was getting possessive over bones and toys and eventually specks of dust. and was generally really jelous.
within the week of having tao she was displaying similar behaviour which i hadnt expected being that resources are different. it doesnt seem fair to indie to go and get another cat when she seems to prefer being the 'only pet'.I understand now, think you may be right Jenny....Although what Kazz has said is very true...;)

bobbie3917
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
hi Jenny when i loast my 8 month old kitten 2 years ago i flt like you and so wanted to go right out and get 1 kitten, i waited and it was the best thing i could do, do you think Indie will ever be 100% OK with a cat? as there not as demanding as dogs. if not then you might have to wait a long while to get 1 how old is Indie now?
even if you think she will be OK with 1 then i would still wait a few month do rush out and get 1.

jenny
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
hi bobbie,
my personal thought is that indie prefers to be the only one. she is 2 now.
i didnt think i would have this problem with a cat, but its hard for me to see indie feel so put out.
maybe it just wasnt meant to be. its hard to know whats the right decision cos i will never know if she would have adjusted to tao or not.
i think deep down i probably know what would be best for indie and i should follow my head and not my heart!

bobbie3917
04-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Tara a bitch i lost last year was a right bitch she hated every thing even her daughter at times but she did get on well with the cats. i do think if you put the time in then you will be able to have a cat again.

Rosie
05-05-2006, 09:50 AM
I have just been offered a grey and white kitten that has just been borne as I have a "thing" about grey cats but for similar reasons to you Jenny I have said no (although in my head I still keep saying maybe). I have a lurcher called Holly who I know would be alright as she is afraid of cats but Rosie my cat I am not sure if I would trust her to get on with another cat. Therefore should I upset the equilibrium or just stick to my guns and say no?

dinahsmum
05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
This problem/question/issue of 'group dynamics', of various animals getting on or not getting on seems to be one of the most difficult we all face. Something to do with us not being very good at speaking dog or cat?
I don't think it's a matter we can generalise on; it depends on the household, the human(s), the other animals, other commitments, time available, space available, etc etc.
Good luck to anyone about to make a decision.
I think as long as you are willing to accept the consequences of your decision, then go for it. If the worst comes to the worst, after all your efforts, then you must be prepared to take responsibility and ensure an appropriate re-home.

Snoof
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree with DM. And I think that having appropriate amounts of time, space, and energy to do slow introductions at the animals' pace is essential to introducing a new animal (unless you have a cat like my Dishrag, who accepted our new little female with no fuss at all).

Given Ninja's personality, I wouldn't be about to get more kittens if I didn't know I have enough time to do slow introductions. It also helps that Matt and I both work at home and thus don't have to leave them alone with Ninja for long stretches of time unless we're comfortable with it (although we can and will keep the kittens in the lounge for the first while, until Ninja's accepted them a little).

Other people may have different work dynamics, but also different existing personalities to work with. You have to see what works for you.

Either way, don't feel bad because you want another kitten. It's perfectly natural. Maybe, with slower introductions, Indie would be perfectly fine with one. Maybe she wouldn't. You know her, we don't, so it has to be something you weigh the pros and cons of.