PDA

View Full Version : Why keep entire cats?

Kazz
04-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Moli's post about her neighbours entire Tom cat, prompts me to ask the question why do people keep entire cats Toms' especially aren't they "smelly":?

jenny
04-05-2006, 10:39 PM
cant answer ur question kazz, but when i was still living with my parents, we had a neutered male cat, and he stank something rotten! and my dads male cats still spray, but no idea if it smells?

Fran
04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Clooney is still entire at the minute and he doesn't spray in the house or smell...I must be lucky :p

bobbie3917
04-05-2006, 10:43 PM
i used to have an entire tom Timmy and i lost him when he was about 3 and he didnt smell or spray in the house

Kazz
04-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Okay then what makes "some2 Tom cats smell a friend of mine has a Tom cat KitKat and he smells no bad but enough he is about 8 now and has smelt since he was about 7/12 months approx.

Moli
04-05-2006, 10:45 PM
The neighbour who owns this boy is 91..She has had him since he was tiny, she also had his sister, but she disappeared, he must be about 10 now..

smudgley
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
All the Toms I've had in - stink like "stinky old Tom cats" :roll: but all of them I've had have used their tray - & not sprayed, but the urine stinks very strong. However they have all been neutered & then literally day by day over the next week or so, the smell gets less "potent" until it just smells like "normal wee":?
We have a big Tom who lives locally (not sure who he belongs to) he thinks he owns my garden & thinks he owns all the females in my pens :roll: he comes every night, yowls at the ladies, then piddles up a few things before going on his way. :roll:

smudgley
04-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Here he is..... :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/smudgley2/various252.jpg

Fran
04-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Awwww he's lovely Smudgley!

Moli
04-05-2006, 11:19 PM
He a gorgeous boy....

Mags
04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
You'll have to name him Mr Piddle, Smudgley!!!:lol:

Emm
05-05-2006, 12:46 AM
awwwh I think hes really handsome

I've never had an entire male cat before - but there have been times I've been tempted to take some of the tom cats that spray on my door and sometimes in my house to the vet to get the operation - I've never done it though just tempted - it takes forever to get rid of the smell :roll:

yola
05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
When Ferdy came to us and I let him in a couple of times, he sprayed like mad. AND it stank! When we had him neutered, as Smudgely says, the smell diminished over quite a short period of time and the spraying stopped immediately.

As to the original question of why keep en entire male? Well apart from genuine reasons of breeding I really don't understand why! They wander, they fight, they get/spread disease, they spray, they smell and they can be aggresive also. I know not all are, but most will display one or other of those characteristics. And of course they cause the ongoing problem of unwanted kittens :(

Snoof
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know why anyone would keep an entire cat, male or female, unless they plan to breed. I knew people when I lived in America who didn't want to spay their kitty or her son... Can't imagine how they've kept them from breeding, suspect they haven't really... Which is disturbing enough!

Booktigger
05-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I have no idea - I have had unneutered toms with fostering, and while they didn't spray, the smell in the room of their wee was bad enough - although neither of the two youngsters (6 and 8 months) smelt. And with unneutered females, I dont' know how anyone can cope with dealing with them in heat time after time. IT must be easier with breeding queens.

Hreow
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Possibly because they're anthropomorphing their cat into a small human. They think that neutering is taking away the pets "right" to a love-life and since they have a good one themselves, or wish they did, they can't bring themselves to neuter. Or the same for a person fearing the loss of their "manhood"/ "womanhood" by loosing the means to reproduce.
Personally, having the urge but never being allowed to do something about it would do my head in. Which may even be one of the reasons I would neuter my pets.
The cats themselves don't seem to feel this way. A neutered cat tends to have less stresses and a "happier" life, as far as I can tell. But then I'm biased. :-)

Moli
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I can't understand it eoither, if a cats a pet....My boys were all neutered as soon as they were old enough, its not just the spraying, unneuters roam and get into fights...

honeybunny
05-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Because keeping just part of a cat is really cruel?

Nicola
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tracey
05-05-2006, 01:49 PM
:lol: That made me laugh!!

I would just like to say i had mine all neutured at 6 months.

honeybunny
05-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Mine are neutered too, either when I got them, when they were old enough or as soon as I got them. My last one I took in as a stray that was living rough and was suspected pregnant, the vets couldn't tell if she was preganant or not but as the male cat she had been roaming with was suspected to be her brother I decided to go ahead with the neuter anyway. Thankfully she wasn't.

Nicola
05-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes mine are both done:)

Donna
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Mine were done ASAP, but dont understand why people keep male cats entire. Part of it may be cost (not a good enough reason tho) and also they dont have to have the worry of the kittens as they have the male cat.

janey83
05-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Tigger had been done since he was under a year old! he doesnt stink! n for the first time ever yesterday i saw him spray a tree! nrmally nothing comes out but this time it was coming straight out n hittin the tree! is this normal. i though he sat down to have a wee! no he has been done!

Hreow
05-05-2006, 07:30 PM
...they dont have to have the worry of the kittens as they have the male cat.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, Donna.

Janey: There is a difference between spraying (standing up, spray goes backwards) and weeing (mine sits, there may be variations). Even "done" cats, male and female, can spray. They just don't have (as much) reason to do so. It's to mark territory and is used by entire animals, neuters who feel their core territory is being threatened and cats that were done late enough that they have the habit of spraying. Cue someone who is an expert. :-)

borderdawn
05-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Cant understand why pet Cats are not neutered, especially moggies, far too many of them without the risk of accidents etc... I wont board an entire Tom Cat, did it once and the Cat was only a year old and the smell was absolutely disgusting, took ages for us to get rid of it. They spray everywhere (I suppose more so in a strange place) and clients commented on it for days afterwards! Never again, not at work and most certainly never in my home! I do have a friend that has an entire tom Cat, a Siamese stud, he doesnt smell himself, but he does spray everywhere if he is outside his pen, I expect thats why breeders and exhibitors mainly have outside quarters for their stud Cats.

As for females, well it doesnt take a genius does it. Too many kittens!!! and of course the mental health and physical health comes into it as it does with dogs.
Dawn.

blackcatlover
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I just think it's totally irresponsible behaviour not to neuter your cat :mad:

Bengal Babe
08-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Agree BlackCatLover -

my boys are neutered and my Princess speyed - I couldn't have my boys roaming and may be loosing them or getting into fights and them getting hurt - or even worse them getting killed -

I couldn't live with that so snip snip - sorry boys - D'arcy still has his 'BIT' as he showed me on Sunday Morning as he sat next to me on the bed having a wash - Sebestian has his dusters but nothing in them.

So yes Spey and Neuter -