PDA

View Full Version : can i claim on insurance?

jenny
02-05-2006, 09:39 PM
i rang up the insurance company last week to find out if we could claim back taos purchase price. the guy on the phone said we 'should' be able to and would send me a claim form.

this is the 6 weeks free insurance i got with tao and is with petplan. does anyone know if we can claim so soon after getting him and within the 6 weeks insurance? also, does anyone have any experience with them refunding purchase price money?

Sweet
02-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I cannot help on this one Jenny, hopefully one of the others can for you - take care x

Kazz
02-05-2006, 09:49 PM
No experience of claiming back purchase price but I have got experience of Petpaln and they were excellent I claimed from them with my previous Staff Gypsy they paid up no bother.

Fran
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
The Petplan six weeks free puppy plan covers death so I would imagine the kitten one does too..

Bengal Babe
02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
MMMMMM difficult one - When I lost Zak to the road - he wasn't insured for that - But Sebestian has the top plan so I would be able to claim back - But being so young and with 6 weeks free from the breeder - you never know - Sorry but how did you loose your little fella - please forgive me for asking

there is no chance of them getting harmed as my garden is cat fenced - so they are safe at all times -

Apart from me when I chasing them round for a cuddle :D :D

smudgley
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Your 6 weeks free insurance should cover the purchase price of your kitten *as long as the kitten was registered with Petplan before you enquired about the claim*... does that make sense?

Is the breeder being helpful?:?

smudgley
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Bengal babe - this kitten was only a baby - only been with them a few days & he suddely died. :cry: :cry:

Bengal Babe
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
God Bless him and his Mummy & Daddy -

I did read about him going to the Rainbow Bridge - I didn't realise he had only been with Jenny a few days -

I am speachless -I know how I would feel {{{big hugs}}}

yola
03-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Jenny, I would check that you don't have to prove cause of death before (or with) claiming. Other than that, do you have a policy document you can check? Most policies will pay out on death unless you're only covered by a very basic one which the 6-week kitten one might be . . . hope that helps a little.

Jac
03-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Jenny I work with Pet Plan with the dogs. We give 6 weeks free insurance. The first week is invalid for health issues but death should be covered. I honestly think you should get compensation from the breeder as well.

Fran
03-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Jenny I work with Pet Plan with the dogs. We give 6 weeks free insurance. The first week is invalid for health issues but death should be covered. I honestly think you should get compensation from the breeder as well.

Jac, I give the Petplan 6 weeks free insurance to my puppies and they are covered from the minute they leave here for illness and death...

Jac
03-05-2006, 11:50 AM
We were told that for the first week they wern't coverd for illness although for accidents ect they were. Possibly because its welfare.

Fran
03-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Puppies definitely are covered. I know Petplan tried to change it last year so that they weren't covered for the first week for illness but it caused so much of a stir that they changed it back again.

Jac
03-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Puppies definitely are covered. I know Petplan tried to change it last year so that they weren't covered for the first week for illness but it caused so much of a stir that they changed it back again.

That's interesting. It was last year they gave us insurance. Wonder if it's changed then? Worth a phone call.

Fran
03-05-2006, 11:57 AM
That's interesting. It was last year they gave us insurance. Wonder if it's changed then? Worth a phone call.

I have the vouchers infront of me it says

'You should activate the cover on the day you sell the puppy - providing instant cover for illness and injury'

up to £1,500 for veterinary fees resulting from illness or injury
up to £750 for loss by theft or straying
up to £750 for death from illness or injury
up to £200 for advertising and reward if puppy is lost or stolen

it doesn't cover third party liability

I'd give them a ring Jac to clarify

Jac
03-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Just got mine. Mine says Charity Cover Voucher. 6 Weeks FREE insurance Voucher Call blah to activate your free cover . Vet fee's for injury or illness up to £1000, Death from unjury or illness up to £100 third party liability plus legal costs up to £1 million.

jenny
03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
up to £750 for death from illness or injury

so i may not be covered if the cause of death is unknown?

random
03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
so i may not be covered if the cause of death is unknown?

I'm not with petplan, but i'm not covered if cause of death is unknown, I know it sounds horrible but from the insurance ppl's point of view, they have no idea what happened to him, and without a veterinary report I doubt they would pay out. I can't be certain though, just going by my own company. xx

Donna
03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Have you spoken to the breeder for any clues as to what could of happened? Any previous medical history with either parents etc? I would have to know what went wrong. But can understand sometimes it is impossible to tell.

Can understand the insurance people may want a vetinary report.

EmmaG
03-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Jenny if I was you I would try and put a claim in, they will only reject it worse comes to the worse

bobbie3917
03-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Jenny the best thing to do is give them a ring and find out

jenny
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
i rang pet plan earlier and the lady didnt seem to know. she said that the claim form says the death caused by accident or illness, and as cause of death is unkown it is neither. she said i can claim and it will be assessed.

smudgley
03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
If it's not an accident or an illness what on earth does she think he died of. Insurance really gets me angry.:mad:
You don't need this hassle right now {{hugs}}