PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on cat situation

jenny
02-05-2006, 05:51 PM
hey guys, basically, taos breeder has just emailed me saying that taos mum kahlu isnt getting on with her other cats and has had to make a hard decision to rehome her and has come to me first.
whats everyones opinions on this.
my OH likes the idea, but im a bit hesitant how indie would react to an adult cat and how kahlu would react to indie. also, we had already discussed gettin another kitten and he had said no, but i was also worried about indies food and toy guarding and wether or not it would get better in time.

i did think maybe we cud take her on on trial and if it didnt work out then the breeder could have her back. but i also feel that if we were willing to take on another cat anyway then i would rather get a kitten as its easier on them both

i dunno, wot r ur thoughts

Moli
02-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I have 2 staffies, and have always introduced kittens into the group, I don't think my lot would accept an adult cat as easily...

jenny
02-05-2006, 06:06 PM
well weve tried to introduce an adult b4, and indie was terrified of him.
but when we introduced a kitten before, shes had a good bond with him.

jenny
02-05-2006, 06:06 PM
well weve tried to introduce an adult b4, and indie was terrified of him.
but when we introduced a kitten before, shes had a good bond with him.

dinahsmum
02-05-2006, 06:07 PM
I think it's a bit of a trial for an adult cat (especially if it's not lived with dogs) to suddenly be taken from its usual environment and presented with a young boisterous dog - no matter how well-meaning.

jenny
02-05-2006, 06:08 PM
she has dogs, 2 weims and a staffie x. but dont know how much contact they have. ive not even seen the dogs and been to her house 3 times. so obv shut away

yola
02-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I have introduced 2 different, adult cats into a household with already 2 adult cats in it (at different times). Each time the incoming cat was male and the resident cats 1 x male and 1 x female. All were/are neutered. Although of course there was a big of disagreement initially (hissing and arching of backs etc), both the incumbent cats and the incoming ones adjusted very quickly.

The heirarchy kind of moves around a bit and their behaviour did change - but not in a way that rang any alarm bells, they all just kind of 'shifted' and got on with things; if that makes sense!

jenny
02-05-2006, 06:34 PM
after a bit of thought ive decided not to rehome her cat with us.

i think we are gonna leave it for a while. wait til i have got over tao and really know what we want, and whats best for indie.

dinahsmum
02-05-2006, 06:40 PM
I think that's wise; it's easy to jump the wrong way when you're all screwed up after an awful event.
Take care

Kazz
02-05-2006, 06:55 PM
after a bit of thought ive decided not to rehome her cat with us.

i think we are gonna leave it for a while. wait til i have got over tao and really know what we want, and whats best for indie.

Good idea Jen and I think the best at the moment.

bobbie3917
02-05-2006, 07:01 PM
i think you have done the right thing

Fran
02-05-2006, 07:49 PM
It has to be your decision Jenny but I think you are making the right one

Sweet
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Hard choice for you both - take care x

Kim
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I think you are very wise. You are still upset over Tao and think you just need time to grieve for her and decide what's best for all of you. Take care. xx