PDA

View Full Version : Dreams....

Fran
30-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I had a very bizarre dream last night. Not one I could majorly describe on the forum :shock: but it has really put me about. Now I very rarely remember dreams. Years ago I used to remember my dreams frequently and they were very vivid but for a long time now, I hardly ever remember any dreams I may have had.

What are your thoughts on dreams? Do you think that they have some hidden meaning of issues which need addressing in our lives? Do the majority of members on here remember their dreams? And have you ever had any dreams that have made you feel very uncomfortable?

Sorry for waffling, I'd love to know the meaning of this dream I have had :? ..

Hreow
30-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I think they are scraps and bits of things you have though and felt. I don't think they have any deeper meaning as such - just that they are generated from things that have happened. You may already have dealt with them. A caleidoscope picture of fragments that have little to do with the whole image and have been thrown together by chance.

I remember *some* dreams, but by no means those of every night. I have some recurring nightmares. (And if you can tell me what having to go tell a monster who boils people down for glue (I'm scared, but I feel *very* sorry for it), that people are sentient so he'll stop means, feel free. :grin: That's one of the recurring not-necessarily-nighmares. Disturbing - yes, hidden meaning - not really.)

I've had a fair few dreams that have made me feel deeply uncomfortable. They express an aspect something that has happened in a way I wouldn't have though would even have occurred to me to think of, let alone do. I've been very worried and felt very guilty, until common sense kicked in. These were not things I would do, not even contemplate doing, so just the product of a hefty dose of imagination, subconscious fragments, and the mind trying to scrub out disconnected bits of emotion.

I hold a *degree* in waffling, as you can see. :-)

Fran
30-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Hmmm interesting. I studied sleep / dream theories for 'A' level pschology. There are many different theories and interpretations of why we dream and what significance they have. I think the 'biggest' factor for me here is that for many years now I have hardly ever remembered a dream despite years ago having very wierd and vivid dreams. All of the sudden and out of the blue, I have this very disturbing and extremely strange dream. Must say it has put me about a little :?

Hreow
30-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Can you see why? May just be a very tiny seed of something that set it off? Think the dream I described is set off by a certain smell, not actually anything to do with my life at that point.

Fran
30-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Can you see why? May just be a very tiny seed of something that set it off? Think the dream I described is set off by a certain smell, not actually anything to do with my life at that point.

I can't think of anything that would have caused me to have had such a dream out of the blue. But will keep pondering over it in case something does come to mind

Emm
30-04-2006, 12:00 PM
I am fascinated by dreams.
I think there are different types of dreams that we have - some are just ways of our mind sifting through our life experiances and sorting them out. Some have a deeper meaning a message of some sort for us, and some are there to show us a bit of the future.

I have very vivd dreams and have even dreamed of news events before they have happened - I'm not talking about deja vous - but actual dreams that have then made headline news.

The best thing to do is to write down your dream and then try to analyise it - you can use a dream interpretation dictionary to some extent to help with this - if you want you can pm me with it and I can try and look at it for you. I'll understand if you don't want to because dreams can be very personal to us.

bobbie3917
30-04-2006, 12:40 PM
im like you Fran i never remember my dreams. well maybe 1 or 2 a year i will remember. i dont know if they do mean anything as for the last 1 i can remember i was being chased my a shark on land :lol:

Emm
30-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Meaning to dream of a shark:

To see a shark in your dream, represents a person whom you see as greedy and unscrupulous. This person goes after what what he or she wants with no regards to the well-being and sensitivity of others. The shark may also be an aspect of your own personality which exhibit these qualities. Alternatively, you may be going through a difficult, painful, or unpleasant emotional period. The shark symbolizes feelings of anger, hostility, and fierceness. You may be an emotional threat to yourself or to others.

Meaning of being chased:

Chase dreams often stem from feelings of anxiety in your walking life. The way we respond to anxiety and pressure in real life is typically manifested as a chase dream. Running is an instinctive response to physical threats in our environment. Often in these dream scenarios, you are being pursued by some attacker, who wants to hurt or possibly kill you. You are running away, hiding, or trying to outwit your pursuer. Chase dreams may represent your way of coping with fears, stress or various situations in your waking life. Instead of confronting the situation, you are running away and avoiding it. Ask yourself who is the one chasing you and you may gain some understanding and insight on the source of your fears and pressure.

The pursuer or attacker who is chasing you in your dream may also represent a part of yourself. Your own feelings of anger, jealousy, fear, and possibly love, can assume the appearance of threatening figure. You may be projecting these feelings onto the unknown chaser. Next time you have a chase dream, turn around and confront your pursuer. Ask them why they are chasing you.

One may be consumed by their own anger, jealousy, love, or self-destructive behavior. For example, you may be drinking too much or exhibiting open hostility toward others around you. You may subconsciously be threatened by these actions which have been jeopardizing your relationships and/or career. Your dreams are a way of calling attention to these self-destructive actions.

A more direct analysis of chase dreams is the fear of being attacked. Such dreams are more common among women than men, who may feel physically vulnerable in the urban environment. These dreams are inspired by fears of violence and sexual assault in which we are so over-exposed from the media. The violence that the media portrays magnifies our fears and how at risk we all are.

I took these from the dream moods website.

Fran
30-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks Emm, I will pm you later if that's ok. Hope you are not too easily shocked :shock: :-D

Jac
30-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Like Fran, I dont remember dreams very often. I think when I was younger I remembered them more.
I did have one dream just before Christmas that really shocked me for weeks!!! I couldn't put it on an open forum. I was totally gobsmacked by it and still remember it. It left me feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Fran
30-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I've Pm'd you Emm :shock: :roll:

Elaine
14-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I almost always have very vivid dreams. I love them, even the scarey ones. Dont know if they mean anything but I do hope last nights one comes true:D

Donna
14-05-2006, 03:52 PM
This last week I have twice had a dream about being pregnant:shock: First dream I was 8-9 months pregnant, and the second dream I was 12 weeks precisely (know that as the doctor in the dream said I was!!:lol: )

Glad dreams never mean the obvious!!!:-D

Tom
14-05-2006, 07:47 PM
oh wow i have had some wierd dreams and i often remember them but when i was younger i used to go swimming with my uncle and we went to the swimming baths and there were these Jets that pulled you under water and in my dream i was stuck under water and no one could save me and thats all i remember and once i had a dream that 2 kidnappers came to our house (by the way for some unknown reason the front door was a garage door :roll: ) they knocked on the door and i answered and they kidnapped me... oohhh they were horrible those dreams, i was having that very same dream for ages!!

Tom

Mags
14-05-2006, 08:39 PM
oh wow i have had some wierd dreams and i often remember them but when i was younger i used to go swimming with my uncle and we went to the swimming baths and there were these Jets that pulled you under water and in my dream i was stuck under water and no one could save me and thats all i remember and once i had a dream that 2 kidnappers came to our house (by the way for some unknown reason the front door was a garage door :roll: ) they knocked on the door and i answered and they kidnapped me... oohhh they were horrible those dreams, i was having that very same dream for ages!!

Tom
:shock:....that's more like nightmares Tom!!

Tom
14-05-2006, 09:59 PM
nah Mags lol i coped!! hehe

JemBob
23-06-2006, 04:45 PM
I used to have a dream of a gaint choclate ball chased me around the school uo and down stairs until I turned around and ate it all!

I remember must of my dreams They say that dreams can mean two things

If you have a secert or a feeling that you ingore it will appear in your dreams also your senses are awake even when you sleep if you hear something or smelll something while you sleep it adds to your dream also........

They say we dream becasue the brain is processing what has happened in that day like a computer really processing all the information. And events its really strange!

random
23-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm studying psychology and from what I have learnt, dreams can mean a whole host of things. Sometimes what they mean is really obvious, sometimes the mind disguses the true meaning as not to disturb the dreamer whilst cathing up on some much needed ZZZZZs. That's why they are often so hard to inturpret. Sometimes they can mean the complete opposite of what you have dreamt.

The easiest way to figure it out is to see if you can relate it in any way to any issues in your life at the moment. Basically a dream is usually just your imagination playing on something in your memory.