PDA

View Full Version : Phantom seasons? Do cats still call after being spayed?

Az
29-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Cheetah was spayed a little while ago yet I'm sure I heard her calling this morning - is this normal? I thought she would have stopped completely :-/

How did eveyone elses cats do once they were spayed?
(Hope you are all well btw! :p )

Booktigger
29-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Have never had this happen, but have heard of it. In some cases it is cos the spay wasn't done properly and bits of tissue were left, which were causing the hormone probs. If she persists, I would see if your vet can do a hormone test to check that there isn't too many hormones still in her body.

bobbie3917
29-04-2006, 04:03 PM
like BT said the vet must of missed something, but is its only the 1 time you heard her? then it might still be her hormones calming down. i would watch her for a while and if its a proper call (goes on for a few days) then i would take her back to the vet but that might mean another small op

Fran
29-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Let us know how she gets on Az x

Az
29-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys - it only lasted a few mins but I was half asleep :mrgreen:

I will see how it goes for a few weeks and if it happens again will contact the vet's and ask them about the hormone test BT mentioned :)

I'll keep you posted :)

Booktigger
29-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Fingers crossed it was just a one off, and there is no probs. If not, and she needs to be opened up, do make sure they dont charge you for it!

bobbie3917
30-04-2006, 01:36 AM
u sure you didnt dream it ;)

Az
30-04-2006, 02:08 AM
If not, and she needs to be opened up, do make sure they dont charge you for it!

Can't they just do an x-ray? Don't want her being opened up just to see whether they did the job right in the first place :(

I don't think they would charge though (wouldn't let them get away with it lol)

No I didn't dream it Bobbie! :p

Hreow
30-04-2006, 09:13 AM
It would only be a small bit of tissue - I don't think that shows up on an x-ray. Think it would show up on something like a CT-scan. Do they do those on cats? Gut feeling is not unless you're very rich, prepared to travel far for it and mates with one of the operators.

deester
30-04-2006, 09:31 AM
I would also think it very strange for a spayed cat to call. Could it just have been cheetah being vocal...my cats are very vocal. As above if she is calling i'd get ger checked out at the vets.

Booktigger
30-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Have just checked where I read this. Your vet could do a blood test for oestrogen in her blood, if that is still present, then they would have to open her up, as like Hreow says, it could just be a few bits of tissue left.

Az
01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys - will keep an eye on her and contact the vets if she does it again. She can be quite vocal but her calling sound was/is different from her normal voice... will see how it goes tho! Thanks again to you all :)

Julie84
01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
mates with one of the operators.

:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I embarrassingly read that in completely the wrong way. :oops:

Az, hope it was just a one off and Cheetah is fine.

Fran
01-05-2006, 10:34 PM
:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I embarrassingly read that in completely the wrong way. :oops:

:lol: @ Julie!!

Hreow
02-05-2006, 07:19 AM
That way probably works as well. :grin: