PDA

View Full Version : Spaying - for Rach

Booktigger
28-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Female cats who are unneutered are more likely to get:

Pyometra - this is a womb infection that can be fatal, the cure is an emergency spay which is a lot riskier than a normal spay as the womb is full of pus. 2 forms, closed and open - cats have a better chance with open as the pus drains and is more noticeable to the owners. More common in dogs than cats - maybe cos it is easier for cats to sneak out and get pregnant
Mammary Cancer - 3rd most common form of cancer in cats, a very nasty cancer as it does spread quickly and although sometimes the tumours can be removed, it has a high incidence of recurrence. Most common age to get it is 10 and is believed to happen due to repeated unbred heats - would prob be more common if pyo didn't happen first. Can still happen in neutered cats if they have been neutered at a late age. Cats are 200 times less likely to get if spayed before their first season.
Ovarian Cancer - not heard of this a lot in cats, although I know a few people who have had older cats (found as older unspayed cats) spayed and the ovaries have been cystic so may have developed in time.
Uterine cancer - not heard of anyone with this, but it is one of the risks.
And I have read so many posts on cat forums of people with indoor only cats who's cat got out - my second foster was a 5 year old cat who had always been indoor only, got out once and got pregnant. The woman who had her could'nt cope with the kittens due to a relationship breakdown, so we got mum and kits, and mum went back after being spayed.

I am very pro spaying, as I took on a 14 year old rescue last year, and 6 weeks after getting her, found out that she had mammary cancer (that was a year ago today actually), and 7 weeks and 6 days after getting her, had to have her pts. I made a pledge when I found out that she had mammary cancer that I would do everything I could to promote spaying so that her death wouldn't be in vain. I wrote an article that was published in my local CP newsletter, and was posted on a few cat forums - will post it on here too.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/scan0017.jpg

dandysmom
29-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Thank you very much for posting this, BT!! I agree 100%. All of my girls have been spayed.

Tracey
29-04-2006, 08:22 AM
I am 100% for spaying too.

It does surprise me how many owners want kittens from their female...then they sell them for 30 or more qiud...it does make you wonder of their motive!

I love kittens, but i spay my cats, and will go to a rescue. Though 4 babes is enough for us know;)

It amazes me how many won't get their males done. Yet they are more likely to wonder in search of a mate, and get lost/knocked down/get into a fight. Plus they spray, which is very potent, and a sod to get cleaned up.

Booktigger
29-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I also meant to add that uterine cancer prob isn't that common due to pyo, or maybe one of the other two cancers occurs first.

Males are also at risk of testicular cancer if not neutered. With females, I can't understand how people can live with years of calling, and with males, I can't understand how they can live with the smell, have had 3 unneutered males, but 2 were young enough not to smell, the third wasn't, you could tell within 12 hours he was unneutered. Luckily I could have the window open while he was in the cat room.

Fran
29-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't wish to enter into a neutering vs not neutering debate but would like to add that not all entire males spray or smell. I have a 13 month old unneutered male who lives in the house and neither smells nor sprays..

Hreow
29-04-2006, 04:36 PM
It does surprise me how many owners want kittens from their female...then they sell them for 30 or more qiud...it does make you wonder of their motive!

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Kittens are cute and if you're not a thinking/planning person, and if you're not that concerned, kitten can be gotten rid of one way or another. If you don't do any of the expensive things (shots, good quality kitten-food, ...) then £30 is almost pure profit.
I don't *agree* with this attitude at all. but I have come across it more times than I would llike. I would *love* to have kittens from a cat of mine (well, Rover's out for several reasons. :grin:) but I won't. I don't have the nous to add anything vital to any breeding-line (learning for fun, though), I don't believe I could create the homes necessary to feel good about letting the babies move out and I couldn't keep the (with my luck) eight kittens. Profit? I couldn't sell the school newspaper when I was eight (Mum and Gran took pity on me in the end), I *couldn't* sell them for money. Not when they would be there to just give me the pleasure of having kittens. I'm not having a dig at any serious breeder, or someone who's decided to have litter in a responsible way. I'm just saying *I* couldn't for personal reasons.

Tracey
29-04-2006, 04:56 PM
I would never breed from any of my cats. For a start i havnt a clue about how to care for a pregnant cat, or her babies when born. So it would be irresponsable of me to do so.....plus it would put my beloved cat's life at risk.

Plus the rescues at this time of year are over flowing with kittens....so there is no need to breed my own:roll:

All mine...3 boys and 1 female....are neutured.:cool: