PDA

View Full Version : kitten not eating.. should i worry?

jenny
22-04-2006, 09:19 PM
hey guys. as u know i only bought tao home yesterday, my siamese kitten.
well we picked him up at 1pm yesterday and he hasnt eaten since then. Well, hes had maybe a mouthful, as in 3 pieces of kibble and a chunk of whiskas meat.
He was fed on whiskas kitten and dry food. So ive given him a bit of both and soaked the biscuits in warm water for him, but hes not really interested.
He has done a poo yesterday and it was solid, but he hasnt used the tray today although i wouldnt be suprised if he has peed on his blanket cos thats where he seems to go. he doesnt seem to want to use his tray, altho i managed to catch him when he went for a poo and put him in the tray to finish what he was doing.

should i worry at this stage that hes not eating? or should i give him a little bit more time to settle in

smudgley
22-04-2006, 09:23 PM
when I rehome a kitten / cat I always say "don't worry if they don't eat for the next 24 / 48hours." ;)
They don't accept change as well as dogs / puppies - so I would say it's quite normal & I'm sure his appetite will pick up once he settles.

Obviously he needs to eat - & his little body needs nourishment - but I'm fairly sure he'll be eating real soon.

jenny
22-04-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks smudgley :) thats really put my mind at rest. wasnt sure if it was somethin i shud be goin to the vets about :shock:
i can relax for a bit longer then :)

Kazz
22-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Thing is Jen remeber a kitten tummy is tiny when you think he's eaten nothing I bet he's had enough, don't panic kittens fom memory (long distant past) take a while to settle in, and just a point are you feeding him somewhere away from Indie? he may be a little wary. And he'll soon find the litter tray kittens are clean - very clean from my experience he is just working out th geography of the house and where everything is.

Karen

jenny
22-04-2006, 09:52 PM
hi kazz, ive set up all his stuff in indies dog crate (she doesnt use it. typical :roll: )

he has his litter tray, a blanket from the breeders, a water bowl and his food bowl. ive been shutting him in there a different times of day to give him a break, but hes jus peeing on the blanket next to the crate and not touching his food.

i think im prob expectin too much too soon, its been a while.. a long while since we've had a kitten round! :shock:

Het
22-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Jenny..i remember Cleo was very slow to eat when I brought her home....just remember if they are hungry they will eat, they won't let themselves starve, so don't worry too much.

Fran
22-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Sure he just needs time to settle in and adjust Jenny. Not be long before he is eating you out of house and home no doubt :-D

bobbie3917
23-04-2006, 01:46 AM
hi Jenny i would get the kitten used to you before Indie is let any where near. when i had Minx she was bought in and no cat or dog she did see until she was 100% OK with me and the kids can you take him to you bedroom so he can have a safe room?
food and litter at other ends of the room from each other but show him where they both are let him get used to you and your boyfriend and the rest of the ppl if there are any. after a few days start leaving the bedroom door open and he will soon start coming down and then that is the time to get him used to Indie and her to him

but before that take a blanket off him and give it to Indie and do the same and give it to the kitten so they can get used to each other's smells.

this is what i have done with my kittens and they are the same age as your boy they have slowly moved from there safe room to being part of the family they are now about 80% OK with the dogs (as long as they dont move to fast) and they are 100% ok with everything else

Donna
23-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Hope everything is going well today Jenny!

Hreow
23-04-2006, 08:58 AM
I discovered that Rover liked company when eating, when I first got him. Think it was too quiet to be the only cat after sharing a house with seven other kittens and Mum and aunties. He's fine on his own now.

Sweet
23-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Hope Tao is ok today x

jenny
23-04-2006, 06:46 PM
hi, yeh hes eaten today :D i had to sit with him on my lap holding the bowl for him, but he ate something so thats good.
he peed on the sofa today, and i even knew he was going to do it cos he was scratchin around like he was gonna go, so i kept putting him in his litter tray but he wasnt havin any of it and then ran to the sofa for a wee :shock:

but, later on, he actually went and found his litter tray inside his crate (he can squeeze thru the bars at the moment) and when for a poo :D

Sweet
23-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Great news! its so exciting when they use the litter tray for the first times! x Glad everything ok today :) x