PDA

View Full Version : Pebbles is having to go to the vets tomorrow

Pages : 1 [2]

Booktigger
19-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, this morning I had to carry her growling into the cat room for some food, and really coax her, which worried me - I dont mind coaxing her, and got up early in anticipation, but it obv isn't good if she doesnt want to eat by herself. Tonight, she tried to get out, and has wolfed half a pouch and 10g of biscuits, before turning her nose up at the rest of it. I can't leave food out for her all day without confining her though, so maybe that has something to do with it. That leg is still looking awful when seh walks though, and worse when she runs up the stairs!!

Booktigger
21-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Bit of an up and down weekend really. She has had 2 mealtimes out of 3 where she has walked up to the food bowl, but she isn't eating large amounts although does eat more when encouraged to - hopefully that is cos she isn't that active. But, when she does walk, the weakness in her leg is worse than it ever was, and is no longer restricted to just walking on the bed, the floorboards and up the stairs. So will have to see what the vet says, I dont think it is fair on her to keep up with the meds, as she has had 4 days of 75mg Antirobe, I day just on Metacam, and today will be the 6th day on 100mg Antirobe, and will be the 3rd day on 3 drops of Metacam, and while she sometimes seems better in herself, she isn't walking any better, so I dont think it is going to suddenly change if we give her another 4 days on meds (teh vet said 2 weeks, but only gave me 10 tabs).

Hreow
21-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Seems to me that the two weeks were just to see if you could control the pain. Would take months of physio to get the weak muscles going and to get the rest of her used to the shorter leg. And with the rest that's not right, not even then, I guess. Shame she doesn't seem to be in any less trouble. : /
Encouraging that she's still eating, even if not very enthusiastically.
I'd agree that it seems wrong to keep her hevily medicated (with all the risks and damage they do over time) when there is a "cure" available.

{{hug}} wish I could help.... : /

Booktigger
21-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Hmm, forgot about that. I still dont think that long term trying to keep this leg is going to be the best for her though, there are so many issues that she is always goign to have issues with it. And there is a risk that she will get worse if medication is reduced/stopped, and I have issues with how much Metacam she is on after what the vet who operated on her said. Plus it isn't licensed for use in cats so no studies to show long term effects of it. I just hope I am not doing the right thing by pushing for the op without givign her longer, but this has been dragging on for 4 weeks now, she has already lost a significant amount of weight and has only had one week where she hasn't been on meds, the rest of the time she has either been in pain or that heavily medicated that she doesn't feel it, and she isn't happy at being kept indoors either - if this had been this time last year, there would have been no probs, as she wasn't going out much!!
Edited to add - decided to check all the claws today, and hers were in a right state with not going out (she doesnt use scratching posts, and obv hasn't been using the bed), even her back claws, so went to do them, and the paw on her dodgy leg was very tricky to do, as it wouldnt move!! I was holding her like a baby, and couldn't move the leg or the paw.

Hreow
21-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I wasn't disagreeing with that. :-)
Just trying to sort out why the vet put her on meds for ten days, and all I could think of was to give her a break to recover before the op, or to ease the pain so her body could try to build the alternative muscles to deal with the dodgy leg. And came to the conclusion that the latter was a wash-out.
Poor Pebbles. :-( Not easy for either of you.

Booktigger
21-05-2006, 05:59 PM
No, I know you weren't. I think I was voicing my train of thought in case any comments came from it that could be helpful when dealing with the vet, or in case there was some flaw in my train of thinking!! One prob with living on your own, no one to help make tricky decisions. She is getting harder to pill, it was amusing putting pills down a growling cat, but is getting a bit disconcerting now, esp when she is growling while licking the 'well done Primula' off your finger!! And then spitting at you after she finishes it. I did try and feel her paw again earlier, and got bit for that!!

Booktigger
22-05-2006, 05:02 PM
HAd an up and down night - started off wonderfully, as she came under the duvet and we had kisses adn she slept so close she was breathing on me. Then after a while she got off, had a lot of water, came back on the bed, couldnt get what she wanted so batted Tom, back off the bed, more water, came back on the bed, couldnt get what she wanted again, so I went to kiss her and she went for me - luckily I moved my face, but she then swiped me round the head, as if telling me off for doing it. LEft her for a few mins, then went to stroke her and she went for me again. She went for Tom this morning, and barely ate, she just wanted to go out.
HAve spoken to the vet, who doesn't think we have any option other than to go through with the op, and it is booked for tomorrow. Soon, I know, but this has been dragging on for 4 weeks now, so I don't think it is fair on her, I have to put my feelings to one side. The vet doesn't feel it is that risky, and it might be the nose vet doing the op rather than her - she spends the majority of her time operating, so am confident about her doing it. So please keep your fingers crossed for her.

borderdawn
22-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Lets hope it helps her BT, best of luck.
dawn.

Naomi
22-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Fingers crossed for Pebbles

dinahsmum
22-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Will be rootin' for her!

Donna
22-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Hope the op is a success and Pebbles can feel better again x

Mags
22-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I hope this will make her feel a lot happier BT..........good luck to Pebbles.......

Booktigger
23-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Well, dropped her off at 8.30, and got them to weigh her first, she now weighs 4.23 which is odd as she has never weighed that much, and she was 3.63 two weeks ago, bizarre. Vet rang at 1.50, which I found bizarre, as I knew it was a lengthy op, and it turns out that they have had 2 emergencies in, so she had just finished when she rang me, and she had to be at the other branch for 3, so not enough time to do the op. SO, she is staying at the vets overnight, and the op is being done tomorrow, and I can't pick her up till Fri now. Will hear by 12ish tomorrow. Strangely enough I have been really calm about it all day, maybe subconsciously I knew

Mags
23-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Pebbles is in good hands BT.......I hope everything goes successfully tomorrow......

Donna
23-05-2006, 08:17 PM
She is safe and well looked after. Wishing her well for tomorrow x

Fran
23-05-2006, 08:19 PM
She is in good hands BT. Fingers crossed for her tomorrow x

Booktigger
24-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Sorry for hte delay, was home late due to family commitments, then had a fault on the line!! Anyway, the op went well, only 3 drops of blood lost, but she did take a long time to come round, so they are keeping her on a drip. She did x-ray it again before doing the op, and it was worse, there were more changes, and when she did the op, the bone was really rough and lots of inflammation, so she had to cut further up than normal cos of the old fracture, if she had left it, it would have left part of teh inflammatoin - she has a black adn white three legged cat, and apparently they now look very similar. She shouldn't have any issues with arthritis in that leg now, and it does sound like we had no other choice. IF she is seeming well tomorrow and has a good poo, she can comeSorry for hte delay, was home late due to family commitments, then had a fault on the line!! Anyway, the op went well, only 3 drops of blood lost, but she did take a long time to come round, so they are keeping her on a drip. She did x-ray it again before doing the op, and it was worse, there were more changes, so there was no alternative and when she did the op, the bone was really rough and lots of inflammation, so she had to cut further up than normal cos of the old fracture, if she had left it, it would have left part of teh inflammatoin - she has a black adn white three legged cat, and apparently they now look very similar. She shouldn't have any issues with arthritis in that leg now, and it does sound like we had no other choice. IF she is seeming well tomorrow and has a good poo, she can come home tomorrow, but not sure if I would prefer her to stay on pain meds an extra day. It is looking good though, she will be just on Metacam when she comes home, and going for a check up next week. Think she said her stitches are out in a couple of weeks, but didn't write it down - we are doing her booster then, as it was due last month, but has been put on hold with all this happening. Thanks for all your vibes and concern, it means a lot. The vet said that she was fussing Pebbles yesterday and she attacked her, so at least she was being her usual self!!
home tomorrow, but not sure if I would prefer her to stay on pain meds an extra day. It is looking good though, she will be just on Metacam when she comes home, and going for a check up next week. Think she said her stitches are out in a couple of weeks, but didn't write it down - we are doing her booster then, as it was due last month, but has been put on hold with all this happening. Thanks for all your vibes and concern, it means a lot. The vet said that she was fussing Pebbles yesterday and she attacked her, so at least she was being her usual self!!

Moli
24-05-2006, 11:03 PM
So pleased it is all over for Pebbles.....

Fran
24-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Sounds like the op was a success BT. Glad Pebbles has pulled through, I'm hoping it will be plain sailing for you both from here x

Mags
24-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I am so pleased to hear that the op went well for Pebbles BT....let's hope she makes a speedy recovery from it and can start enjoying her life again.......

dandysmom
25-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Glad it went so well, you'll be happy to have her home & OK!!

Hreow
25-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Glad the x-ray and operation confirmed what you already knew and that she's kept her spirits through it all. You'll have a right circus when she gets home, then. :-)

borderdawn
25-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Good news, hopw she makes a full recovery very quickly.
Dawn.

Elaine
26-05-2006, 09:05 PM
How is she Des? Sorry i havent caught up with this, I have been pretty busy.
Give her a wee cuddle from me please xxx

Booktigger
27-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Comp hasn't been sending me updates from here, and i haven't had a lot of time to get on. Rang on Thurs, and she was so bright, comfortable, happy and hopping round that they were happy to send her home on Thurs, so I booked yesterday off work!! When I picked her up, the vet and vet nurse passed comment on how happy she was, they had never seen her so happy - the vet got attacked by her on Tues and she fought them on Wed when they put the drip in!! She doesnt look half as bad as I thought - do you want me to post pics? As she is black and white, the skin above her stitches is black and the skin below is pink!! She is happily hopping round, she has had a wee but no poo (she has had some Katalax), and last night even got out of hte cage - I was eating in front of the cage, and in the time it took me to put some food on my fork, and put it in my mouth, she was out of the cage and halfway over my crossed legs. Don't think her recovery time will be that long somehow!! It also cost me less than the inital op did!! I am surprised that I am more curious about her stitches than why they are there, and she doesn't seem any different to me - she isn't happy with the collar though, but her own fault for nibbling at the stitches while at the vets.

Hreow
27-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Oh that's excellent news!! You must be so relieved. Amazing how much pain a cat can just get on with - you never realise until it is gone. I'm so glad you persisted when you knew she wasn't right, even when the best option seemed drastic.

She'll keep you busy trying to keep her still enough not to over-exert herself. :-)

And photos - yes please!

Booktigger
27-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I am incredibly pleased and relieved - I had wondered after the first op if she would be nicer, and obv wasn't cos it hadn't solved the prob. I am glad I persisted, as I told my my mum, she has too much life in her to not give her that chance, and if she hadn't been insured (total for both ops has come to nearly £600 with all the bits inbetween), I would have done it however poor it made me. I couldn't have done it without all the support I got though, so a big thank you. HEre you go then, just wanted to make sure people were OK first, as it coudl be a shock

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/cage1.jpg

Look Mum, I can get in here

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/littertray.jpg

Mags
27-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Excellents news BT....so pleased to hear she is happier and coping ok.......:D

Elaine
27-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Brilliant news Des, she looks good. Told you she might surprise you;)
I wouldnt worry to much about giving her catalax just yet, if she hasnt eaten that much of late then she wont have much to poo out. Please give that brave and sprightly girl a cuddle from me xxx

Hreow
27-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Her head looks a bit funny with the collar, otherwise she looks fine. Suppose pooing might be slightly trickier than weeing, balance-wise.

How long is she supposed to be residing in the cage?

Fran
27-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Bless her, she is looking well! Hope she continues to recover well. I'm sure she will adapt easier and quicker than you think ;)

borderdawn
28-05-2006, 09:35 AM
She's doing just fine!
Dawn.

Booktigger
28-05-2006, 11:51 AM
She had a poo at teatime last night, and has shown more interest in food since!! Still not eating loads, but that is obvious with cage rest.
Elaine - the vet was going to give me a laxative when I picked her up, but I told her I had Katalax, so it was done under her suggestion. Wont worry about giving her any more unless she hasn't pooed again by tomorrow though!!
She is still doing really well, I am so surprised at just how well she is adapting - I put her on the quilt in front of the cage (slept on the floor Thurs night, and left it there as my floor is hard and wanted soemthing comfy to sit on!!) in between my legs while we watched a film, and seh seemed really happy - in fact she didnt' want to go back in the cage!! Might carry her upstairs after she has been checked by the vet.

borderdawn
28-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Thats a weight off her mind! Onwards and upwards from now on.
dawn.

Hreow
28-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm glad she's continuing to improve a a great rate!

Booktigger
29-05-2006, 03:45 PM
She has just had another poo - and didn't have to have laxatives for this one, so I am so incredibly pleased, I think things are looking really positive. Hard to believe that this time last week the vet had agreed that we had to do the amputation, and that I was just waiting to hear if it would be on the Tues or not. I am sure the vet will be really pleased with her tomorrow.

Mags
29-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Pleased to hear everything is going well BT!:cool:

Abby
18-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone, this is a bit of a shot in the dark as I know your posts were posted in 2006.

Im in a complete dilemma with my cat George :(
He has been poorly for some time with his toe, he first started to limp so took him to the vets but they had no idea what it was (thought it was infected) so squeezed it and some puss came out. Sent him home & he was ok for about 2 weeks, however, he started limping again so took him back, they did an x-ray and nothing came up. Adivsed me taking the toe was the best thing to do so said yes!
He recovered really well from having his toe off, became an absolute pig with his food :) (as hes always been quiet skinny)
We didnt get any answers from the lab as they had no idea what was going on with his toe (the vet found a 'mass' when she removed his toe) - it was either cancer, gout or a fungal infection.
But, he then went off his food about 2 weeks later and started limping again, this time not putting his leg on the ground. I was devastated.
The vet x-rayed his leg again and couldnt see anything, she asked me if I wanted him put to sleep :'( I said no! cause I had no 'real' reason to and hes not even 2 yet!!

She gave him painkillers but once he finished them he started limping again and his next toe along is swollen so took him to the vets yesterday and she said whatever it is has spread and Ive only got 2 options...take his right hind leg and stop whatever it is spreading or put him to sleep.

I love my cat too much to put him to sleep but I also dont want him to suffer!! But the vet said because he is so young she knows he will be able to cope...he is also basically a house cat and we live in a very quiet area with few cars (which he hates anyway) so even when he is outside I dont really have to worry.

It would just really put my mind to rest if someone could let me know how their cat has reacted to having his/her leg amputated. I dont want him to be confused or hate me for it. I just want to know he will cope. Ive got him booked in on monday to have it done (4 days away).

The vet did say to me she wouldnt have suggested it if she thought he wouldnt cope as she said 99.9% of cats do fully cope after.

Thanks in advance for any reply and sorry about the long post.

Abby x