PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, let's do this one more time. Kittenstuff.

Snoof
19-04-2006, 10:41 PM
I have:

- Collars (I want to get them used to wearing them, and I want them to have bells on until they're bigger because our house is a maze of nooks and crannies :roll:).
- 2 litterboxes, plus litter (Ninja doesn't use one).
- Catflap that allows Ninja, but not the kittens, to go out and come back in at will.
- Catbed + blankie + pillow (I'm going to put a fresh pillow and blanket into Ninja's box the day before we go get them and give them their own blankie and pillow in the carrier, then swap them later so they can all get used to each other's scents - the kittens will be kept in a room Ninja rarely goes into for the first couple of days and scent will be exchanged back and forth before the first meeting).
- 2 of the two-in-one bowls for wet food and water (for when their food and water moves into the conservatory and/or in case someone tries to hoard all the food).
- 2 separate bowls for dry food (same).
- Oodles and noodles of toys.
- Kitten food (it turns out the rescue feeds "whatever they can get their hands on/is donated/is affordable" so I'm starting off with cheap kitten dryfood, then wean them onto James Wellbeloved kitten, and give them Whiskas kitten wetfood).
- A placemat (cat-shaped :roll:) for their bowls to sit on, because Ninja's 2 and still a messy eater.

I feel like I'm forgetting something else I have, but I can't think what it is. Oh, and of course we have a carrier, which is clean and has their blanket and pillow already in it.

I'm feeling kind of iffy about the two-in-one bowls, because I've never liked them and they're such a bitch to clean and put fresh water into. Is there any reason I should not spend the extra couple of quid on just getting 4 more bowls?

And anything I'm missing?

moggymommy
19-04-2006, 11:25 PM
I agree the 2 in 1 bowls can be a pain, I never used to use them but I've got one for angel and I quite like it now! I'm only giving her a small amount of food at a time just now and she eats it all so its less hassle to clean and change the water, I just blast the tap into the water side with it at an angle to rinse it out and add fresh, its not that simple when there are bit stuck to it tho.

Sounds like you've got everything covered, I dont see why you shouldn't just go for 4 seperate bowls if thats what you'd prefer.
Only other thing I can think of is a scratching post or 2, I have 2 but Angel still prefers wallpaper, grrr.

Snoof
20-04-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm getting a scratching post, but I'm waiting until the kittens are here. I suspect Ninja would quite like one (good safe place to sit and survey the people without the chance of being kicked), but the one I have my eye on will be fully accessible for the kittens, so I want them to already be here. I don't want him to feel like they're invading one of his established safe spaces :-)

dandysmom
20-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I dislike & never use the 2 in one bowls. Go for the extra ones! :D

CJK
20-04-2006, 09:00 AM
i USED to ahve the two in one bowls, changed to singels about 10 days ago, must say the cats seem MUCH happier no all ahving to eat together and i am finding them much better.

Snoof
20-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I went out and bought Ninja separate bowls, specifically because I hated the two-in-ones... But for some reason the possibility of not using the two-in-ones got nixed in my head :roll:

Julie84
20-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Sounds very good Snoof - even I'm getting excited at the prospect! :oops:

I'd say go and get four individual bowls - you'll kick yourself once the kitties turn up and while they are still unused you could sell them/donate them to a rescue or something?

If the kittens are not used to one particular type of food I would say just go straigt on to JWB and Whiskas if that's what you want them to eat? It's likely to be new to them, whatever you feed, so why make it harder for yourself?

Sounds like you have everything covered though - I think it's a good idea to wait until they are with you before getting a scratching post. :)

Snoof
20-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Ooooh, good point Julie, I'll take them with me in an hour when I go to drop Random at nursery (and to drop off the catfood at the charity shop - can't do the litter on my own but I can do that much).

dinahsmum
20-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Not a tangible 'thing' but I've read/heard that it's good to get the individual scents by rubbing with a clean cloth (hankie) (get it from their 'brows, where they've got most scent glands) and then wandering round the house on your hands & knees, transferring the scent to strategic points, like door frames and external wall corners, at kitty/cat nose height.
It's then not such a shock when they actually meet in the flesh. :smt102

Have never done it. Wonder if anyone has?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Booktigger
20-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Seems like you have everything - I used to use the two in one bowls, but purely cos the two cats I had at the time were fussy, so they would have two different kinds of wet food, one in each half, never put water in them and they both had a separate bowl, I have occasionally used a two in one for two cats but only for fosters who are in the same room anyway. The rescue were grateful for them when I changed to ceramic though.

Snoof
20-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Not a tangible 'thing' but I've read/heard that it's good to get the individual scents by rubbing with a clean cloth (hankie) (get it from their 'brows, where they've got most scent glands) and then wandering round the house on your hands & knees, transferring the scent to strategic points, like door frames and external wall corners, at kitty/cat nose height.
It's then not such a shock when they actually meet in the flesh. :smt102

Have never done it. Wonder if anyone has?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

I could do that. Why not? :lol: I'll give it a go when the kittens get here, and then we'll know once and for all if it works, or if it's a trick designed to make humans look ridiculous :roll: :lol:

Only I can't actually do that with Ninja, because he's afraid of bits of cloth. You should see him leg it from a babywipe... It's insane. No idea why. Luckily for me, he's been working on getting his scent rubbed all over everything :-)

I just took one of the two in one bowls (and three boxes of dry food, some toys and a blankie) into the rescue's charity shop. Can't find the other one, so I expect it's gone off into a corner to have a litter of two in one bowls I'll never notice until it's too late :roll:

Hreow
20-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I could do that. Why not? :lol: I'll give it a go when the kittens get here, and then we'll know once and for all if it works, or if it's a trick designed to make humans look ridiculous :roll: :lol:
I think we already have cats for that? :-) At least; Mine has me racing through flowerbeds and is a star at following me around trees just to keep his lead around it. :roll:

I just took one of the two in one bowls (and three boxes of dry food, some toys and a blankie) into the rescue's charity shop. Can't find the other one, so I expect it's gone off into a corner to have a litter of two in one bowls I'll never notice until it's too late :roll:
Irresponsible bowl-keeping! Some people! You should at least have had it neutered before you left it to its own devices! :grin:
Like the image of the bowl sneaking off to have its litter.

Snoof
20-04-2006, 07:41 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hreow!