PDA

View Full Version : At last! (birds/garden)

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 06:22 PM
My MIL kindly gave me a snazzy bird feeder for xmas/my birthday (same thing :roll: remember?). We needed to get the birds off the bank because there was a rat scavenging on all the spilt seed. Eek :shock:

Well, it has taken all this time (nearly 4 months) for the birds to stop being terrified and come and eat from the new apparatus. I hope not too many perished in the long, cold, spring :(

So, not great pics, but they are taken through my living room window and show the birds just 6 feet from the house. Sparrows, tits and a robin - if you look very closely. (The cage thing is to stop the starlings/big, greedy birds. ) Poor starlings - there were a pair intent on building a nest under the eaves of the garage/office yesterday. Wandering around with 8" moustaches of straw and twigs :roll: . Had to put up chicken wire to stop them. Poor simple things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01336.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01337.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01338.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01339.jpg

Mags
18-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I like that DM, haven't seen one like that before......and how nice that you can watch the birds so close from your window!:cool:

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 06:36 PM
There's a planter at the base, to give some stability, plus long 'feet'. I like it but I was worried that the birds would never take to it!

EmmaG
18-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Good to see them using it DM, me and the OH saw something similar a little while back but I was convinced that the birds wings would get caught up in the cage so we decided against it.

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Good to see them using it DM, me and the OH saw something similar a little while back but I was convinced that the birds wings would get caught up in the cage so we decided against it.
No, they seen to flitter in and out no problem!

Hreow
18-04-2006, 06:53 PM
If they can navigate twigs, they should do ok with the wires.

Does it also limit the amount that gets spilled? Wracking my brains to find something mess free for here. Don't want to bring rats in, they make lousy neighbours. Though Rover would probably like the added scurrying. :roll:

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Does it also limit the amount that gets spilled? Wracking my brains to find something mess free for here. Don't want to bring rats in, they make lousy neighbours. Though Rover would probably like the added scurrying. :roll:
No, fraid not. But it sits on the patio so the seed etc that lands on the floor and doesn't get pecked up can be swept up easily.

Moli
18-04-2006, 06:55 PM
That is so nice, like the idea of having it altogether...

dandysmom
18-04-2006, 08:51 PM
That's a really elegant bird feeder!! And looks is if it would be squirrel-proof also if you have any of the horrible greys!! Nice that you all can enjoy them when indoors...mine is in a tree beside the screened porch so can only watch when it's mild enough to sit outside. Couldn't find the robin...where is he?

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Couldn't find the robin...where is he?
I think he was flitting about in the back of pic 3 ... but I agree - can't see him for sure now. (Remember our robins are smaller than yours though DM! ;) )The robins were the first to brave the frightening contraption - not suprising, they seem to be able to cope better with people than most birds.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_8_3.gif

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 02:25 AM
I did know that they're smaller than our American robins, but other than that, don't know much about them...will Google after I get off & learn a little!:D

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 03:36 AM
I did look up British birds & enjoyed the pictures & info about the robins...they are much smaller & cuter than our robins (which are actually thrushes)...really not much resemblance except the red breasts...can see why the early settlers called ours robins.

Sweet
19-04-2006, 07:48 AM
That looks a great feeder, I love the garden birds x

Fran
19-04-2006, 09:36 AM
That looks a really good bird feeder DM. My mum would be interested in one like that I think, she is always moaning about the bigger birds stealing all the food. I don't encourage birds into my garden as I know my cats would get them :(

dinahsmum
19-04-2006, 09:40 AM
That looks a really good bird feeder DM. My mum would be interested in one like that I think, she is always moaning about the bigger birds stealing all the food. I don't encourage birds into my garden as I know my cats would get them :(

Mmm - yes, it's something I'm thinking about with kittens. I ignored/didn't feed the birds for many years when we had younger felines.

www.gardenbird.com (http://www.gardenbird.com) have all the birdy accessories

Fran
19-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Looks like a good site DM. I have bookmarked it for further perusal. I am always struggling for gifts for my mum and she is very 'into' looking after the birdys in her garden..:D

Hreow
19-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Won't feed them on the ground, but a good birdfeeder out of reach of cats, with some bird-only trees not too far away (to hide from raptors) should keep most birds safe, and the ones that still manage to get eaten are probably "Darwin approved".

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Good one, Hreow!!!:-D :-D

Kazz
19-04-2006, 09:02 PM
For years I didn't encouraged birds into the garden it would have been like giving Oscar a knife and fork and saying "dinner" :roll: but in the last few years I have been trying but word was obviously spread far and wide saying "cat attack steer clear" about my garden. But now the odd brave/stupid or lost bird enters and better still leaves alive and fed ;) .

Edited because a gormless old cat stood on the keyboard - sorry.

Moli
19-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Edited because a gormless old cat stood on the keyboard - sorry.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kazz
19-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Edited because a gormless old cat stood on the keyboard - sorry.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honest Moli, all of a sudden I posted and then noticed a couple of lines of complete gobblydgook and gobblydgok I had not written for once ;) :roll:

dandysmom
20-04-2006, 02:36 AM
He he he, they do that, don't they!!:-D