PDA

View Full Version : Live, learn.

Hreow
18-04-2006, 05:17 PM
And we've met our first stinging insects today. The bumblebee was patient. She put up with a bit of wrestling and nosing, then escaped in an orderly fashion. The wasp won. After that, the fly-chasing was off for a bit to run inside for some chicken and to let the courage seep back. Not that he has that much. He's obviously not allergic and the sting didn't land anywhere sensitive just general muzzle, but seeing him teleport the chicken in his usual ravenous fashion was calming. We've since been out again to hang the washing, and the little flies in the lawn are still fair game. Anything bigger and he's advancing backwards at an undignified pace.
Now... how do I convey the thought that the big, beefy sea-gulls are bad news, not something one should chase, without blood-shed (Rover's or mine.)? :shock: They're obviously birds, thus playthings/food. :D Are there self-defence classes for felines? He's already quite good at the falling roll (head and front feet stop on toy, bum flies up and over) and I'm sure he'd be fetching in the gee and belt. :-)

Donna
18-04-2006, 05:18 PM
he he he very good!!! All in a day's play!!

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Glad the bee52 didn't retaliate!
Guess, as you say, it's all part of learning........but these things are sooooooooooo tempting!

Snoof
18-04-2006, 05:26 PM
:lol: I'm still trying to teach my son not to mess with stingy things :lol:

Hreow
18-04-2006, 05:38 PM
My better half is still trying to wean *me* off stingy/bitey/slimy things. :laugh:
Dad loves all animals (but cats, long story) and he brought us up to deal with (i.e. not scare, pick up when necessary to save their lives, respect, understanding) any animals we found in the wilds around the summer cottage we rented.(None of them were rose-covered semi-urban, we're talking middle of big forests here. Closest neighbour an hour's drive away or more.)
I rescue spiders, wasps, earthworms, snakes... Too Disney for words, really. Talk to all of them as well. *Well* on my way to mad, crazy woman best avoided. : /

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 05:42 PM
:roll:
I always apologise when I slice a worm in two at the allotment - and add "but your front half will prob be OK" :?

Hreow
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
One should always show due consideration for the other half. :-D

The learning didn't last that long. He was stung yesterday again when he decided to try the bumblebees *again*. Comedy thumb this time. Not too good on the long-term memory. :roll:
Bit of a quandry whether to keep him on a short lead, but I think I'll leave him "free" and monitored. He's not a dog after all, I know he's not allergic and I would feel a terrible, small-minded tin tyrant if I tried to control every step he takes.

Think he *has* learned not to put his nose too close - he was batting this one about, not trying to chew it like last time.