PDA

View Full Version : Shady suggestions please

candyshandy
17-04-2006, 09:45 PM
There is a driveway which runs down the side of my house and is north facing. I really want to give it some colour this year - any suggestions what would do well??

Hreow
17-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I've grown bleeding heart in the shade and lily-of-the-valley, but this page might give some more constructive alternatives?
http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqshade.htm

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I would suggest lily of the valley too - it seems to thrive on dark and neglect! You could always grow colourful things in pots and move them into the shady bit on a sort of rota basis, to brighten it up. Leave them a while but take them out and put them back in the sun and then pop some other pots in after a few weeks.

logoes
18-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Crocosmias are worth a try, tough plants and lots of different shades from yellow thru to dark orange and red. We had some at a house when I was a child and I know they were planted years before my parents moved in - and they are still there, brightening up a very dark side passage. Logoes.

candyshandy
18-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks - will have a look at all the suggestions :D

Kazz
18-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi Hosta's a brilliant for pots in shady area's. And they improve every year.

To plant out if you have the room a nice plant is Solomon seal a damp shade-loving perennial.:) same as cranesbill geraniums, if you cut those back after the first flowering it will flower again later in the year. ;)

A nice shrub is Euonymous 'Emerald n Gold' which has bright variegated leaves to brighten up a dark corner and I am reasonably sure you can clip these into shape.
You could also give Astilbe's a go, the foliage is just as intersting as the flowers.

And if you want to plant a climber then try the hydrangea petiolaris, is to my knowldge a rampant climber. So beware :?

I will try to thnk of some more.
Karen

dandysmom
18-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I was going to suggest all of the above, but you all beat me to it...5 hour time lag, drat!! No one mentioned caladiums or ferns, which thrive in the shade, also tuberous begonias which would give you some color, but they can be tricky...never had much luck with them myself. Let us know the choices!!

Kazz
18-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I was going to suggest all of the above, but you all beat me to it...5 hour time lag, drat!! No one mentioned caladiums or ferns, which thrive in the shade, also tuberous begonias which would give you some color, but they can be tricky...never had much luck with them myself. Let us know the choices!!

There has to be some small benefit of being this side of the pond Dandysmum;) and I have no luck with begonia's either:roll:

candyshandy
18-04-2006, 09:41 PM
I've already got coleus kong rose on order - I think these will be ok there??

Still want to plant others though :)

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 02:27 AM
There has to be some small benefit of being this side of the pond Dandysmum;) and I have no luck with begonia's either:roll:
He he he!!!:roll: :-D

Hreow
19-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Have yet to discover a place where coleus *won't* grow. That, and a geranium, is the only thing that has survived at work. Not much light and "climate control". I pinch off bits that get too much out of control (or get broken off by the window-cleaners who have no patience), pop into a mug of water and distribute amongst colleagues.