PDA

View Full Version : Pieris (Forest Flame)

Mags
17-04-2006, 01:40 PM
My Pieris looking colourful this year..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/pierisforestflame170406.jpg

EmmaG
17-04-2006, 01:58 PM
WOW very pretty :)

Fran
17-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Ooooh I have one of those Mags...mind you it doesn't look anywhere as healthy as yours :roll: Lovely specimen Mags!!

Mags
17-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks both!
It is just stuck in the ground, Fran............it gets no special treatment so I'm sure yours will look nice too!

logoes
17-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Mine are still shivering in the cold weather but absolutely covered in blossom. Logoes.

Moli
17-04-2006, 06:59 PM
They are beauty's Mags, I have just bought a couple of them....

yola
17-04-2006, 07:26 PM
That's really pretty!!! I've not heard of them but will look out for them. Are they evergreen and how big do they grow?

logoes
17-04-2006, 07:52 PM
You can prune them to the size you want. Mine have been in Wooden half-barrels for at least twelve years. Each Spring I scrape off some of the top soil, replace it with some fresh compost, tip on some long lasting fertiliser and just water when needed. They are about four feet tall . Logoes

logoes
17-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Should have said, yes they are evergreen and come with plain or or white edged leaves. They can grow up to 10 ft. dependoing on the variety.Logoes

Kazz
17-04-2006, 09:36 PM
They look lovely Mags, I have a few :roll: as you might expect the smaller ones have gone "red" the two larger (older) ones have not yet dropped their blossom (as I call it) sure a few more days sun and they will.:D

Yours look lovely Mags. Fran do you feed yours? they are quick to turn around if you look after them.

Karen

Fran
17-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Fran do you feed yours? they are quick to turn around if you look after them.

Karen

I only have the one Kazz. No, I have never fed it :oops: It is planted in the soil now but for a few years I kept it in a container. It has done better since being in the ground but is not the best specimen in the world :roll: Will try and remember to take a piccie of it tomorrow...

Mags
17-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks Kazz! I have one in a pot too and it is absolutely covered in 'blossom' this year.....looks as though it has been out in a snowstorm!!:lol:

Kazz
17-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Kazz! I have one in a pot too and it is absolutely covered in 'blossom' this year.....looks as though it has been out in a snowstorm!!:lol:

So that hasn't turned over yet either Mags I was begining to get a little concerned then;) but I'll rest easy now.:-D

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 08:40 AM
It's a lovely plant and grows prety easily. The huge one I brought with me here has suffered from being planted on a poor, chalky, bank (Poor thing, they like ericaceous!) but is hanging on in there!
I've just bought another baby in a litre pot, and that will go in the ericaceous planter, with the azaleas.
Has anyone mentioned that the new (red) leaves are very frost sensitive? Good to have a bit of fleece ready to throw over the plant on cold spring nights. It's such a shame to lose that early colour.