PDA

View Full Version : Are vaccinations neccessary for indoor cats?

moggymommy
17-04-2006, 12:18 PM
If they are to be kept indoors are they still at risk of contracting diseases?

Discuss :)

Hreow
17-04-2006, 02:14 PM
If you can guarantee trhat they stay indoors and that no other cats can get in, then I don't suppose they do. Don't think the various lurgies survive without the host for long enough for, say a neighbour, to infect the cat.
I couldn't guarantee that my cat would stay indoors, they can be very quick, so I would at least get the "basic" set. Probably an ideal position to try the bare minimum, as discussed in a previous thread.
Rover goes out on a lead, and I have no intention of picking him up and running when I see another cat, so he needs (and has) immunisation, imho.

Mags
17-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Here is a link to a previous discussion on this subject........

http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2284&highlight=vaccinations

I am sure our newer members will have more to add..........

dandysmom
17-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Years ago when I walked my cats outdoors on leads, I got the shots. My 2 now are strictly indoors, & my vet agrees that they don't need them.

candyshandy
17-04-2006, 09:43 PM
My 3 are indoor but go out in the catproofed garden in the summer. They are vaccinated but not against FELV.

Julie84
17-04-2006, 09:50 PM
My two are indoor only and are vaccinated against everything - but I'm a worrier and generally think a basic 'set' would suffice. The fact that I managed to bring fleas home to my babies once (from playnig with a friend's cat in their house) perhaps makes me a bit overcautious (I religiously keep up to date with woming and flea treatments as well - just in case! :oops: )

Snoof
17-04-2006, 10:06 PM
If I ever had an indoor-only cat, I'd still keep them fully vaccinated, but I'm a worrier. It would also strike me as plain old stupid if they got out, contracted something, and had medical troubles as a result of something stupid like an unclosed door.

Fran
17-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I think you have to bear in mind too that indoor cats sometimes have to visit the vets...worst place ever to 'pick things up' as it were :? Also, as has been mentioned, visitors to the house can bring in bugs. Even if mine were just house cats they would still have the same vaccination programme my outdoor cats have now..

Donna
18-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Mine are mostly indoors, but do go out, so they are fully vaccinated!

Kay
22-04-2006, 11:42 PM
All nine of mine are indoor cats but are still regularly vaccinated but I do show some of them and they have to be vaccinated to be shown. Also they could contract something at a show and bring it back. I would vaccinate to be sure.

Marina
07-05-2006, 02:00 AM
All 3 of mine are indoors only. They have their own enclosure though which is out the side of the house. They have all their kitten vaccinations (which over here is 2-3 at 10wks and 14wks) and then the yearly booster and I then don't vaccinate for 3 years. I also don't vaccinate against everything. I use an F3 vaccine here which covers both forms of cat flu and feline enteritis.
But in saying all of this diseases can be carried into your home on your shoes and on you if you handle other cats. I like to think cats , like humans and other species, have good immune systems if given the right care. But this doesn't always happen.

ATD
15-02-2007, 11:40 PM
my mums cat was a house cat, she went in the garden once in a blue moon to eat grass but never ventured any further she was never wormed or vaccinated and only wore a flea collar nothing else and she lived to 21 chinchilla pursion (sp??)
ATD xxx

sarahd
12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I have my pedigree's indoors at all times with access to a secure heated outdoor pen with lighting. They are vaccinated regularly but not against FELV. However my moggies which come and go as they please are vaccinated against the lot.
I agree with Kay if you show your cat is at risk from many bugs and germs flying around in the air so better safe than sorry i think.

Sarah
x

JemBob
28-03-2007, 07:02 AM
oscar is fully done, just in case just don't really wanna take a risk really