PDA

View Full Version : do your cats where collars?

jenny
16-04-2006, 09:58 PM
do your cats where collars?
im just wandering because it never crossed my mind before yesterday when we went to see the breeder of our kitten. She said he doesnt put collars on her cats cos they can get caught on things and can get their legs caught in them.

up to now, i wouldnt have thought twice about it and put a collar on our kitten when he was old enough, one with the special elastic bit so it snaps if caught.
He'll be an indoor cat, so dont know if its necessary, but if he got out, i wouldnt want anyone thinkin he didnt have an owner cos he didnt have a collar.

what do u all do?

Moli
16-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I have never put collars on my cats, they are microchipped....

Fran
16-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Mine don't wear collars either and they are out door cats. They are microchipped..

Mags
16-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Cassie wears a collar but I always get her the safety collar........

Hreow
16-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Think I would put a collar on Rover, even though he's chipped, if he was allowed out on his own. Only because it is *visible*, so even non cat-owners would perhaps let me know if there was a problem/accident (Phone-number woven into the design, or tag) and if they're good sorts they might drop him off at the vets, should he need it. I'd cross my fingers that the collar release would work if he got stuck, and that he wouldn't cleverly lose one a day.

Kim
16-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Mine wear collars even though they are all microchipped. Lost/injured cats are not always tested for a chip and the chips *can* move. Mine have the collars with safety catches that come undone easily, does mean they lose them sometimes though. :roll:

Donna
16-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Mine have collars and they are mostly indoor cats.

Jeanette
17-04-2006, 07:12 AM
I wouldnt put a collar on any of my cats. Oliver is - and any new arrivals would be - indoor cat(s). But then I dont have a collar on Luna indoors.

There's a new rule in Denmark though, where all cat (and dogs for that matter) has to be chipped or tattooed.

Emm
17-04-2006, 08:38 AM
only you can make that choice whether your want your cat to wear a collar or not.
The types of collars that cats get stuck in are the ones that are elasticated - for safety you should only have your cats wear a collar that has a safety release buckle - this will snap open if your cat gets caught on something. Always test the collar before putting it on your cat. These types of collars are not suitable for kittens though - you should get your kitten used to wearing them by only putting them on while being supervised - its not until they are are about 7 - 8 months (depending on the size of the cat) that they can be left wearing them.

My cats are all micro chipped yet the vet can never find them! :roll:

Hreow
17-04-2006, 09:48 AM
My cats are all micro chipped yet the vet can never find them! :roll:

<most innocent look possible> The cats? :grin:

Emm
17-04-2006, 09:53 AM
originally posted by Hreow

<most innocent look possible> The cats? :grin:

:smt044 the micro chips :smt044

Snoof
17-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Ninja wears a collar. He's microchipped, but even if they didn't move I'd put a collar on him. It's got the key for our magnetic catflap on it, and a tag with his name and our phonenumber. If someone finds him, I don't want them to have to find someone who can read the microchip to be able to find us.

janey83
17-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Tigger has always worn a collar! he's not chipped. He did get caught in a tree when he was a kitten though, but the owner got him down.

Nothing has happened since.
But lately he has got his claw stuck in the ring where his name tag is attached to his collar n he keeps walking round in circles lol its funny! but can be dangerous.

bobbie3917
17-04-2006, 03:46 PM
i agree with Emm
but i dont use collars on mine they are chipped just like the dogs but they also dont wear collars in side
it really is up to you

CathyW
17-04-2006, 08:39 PM
mine have got flea collars on, and both are indoor cats.

candyshandy
17-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Mine are microchipped but no collars - think of the mats! :shock:

BTW - mine are indoor cats.

Julie84
17-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Mine are microchipped but no collars - think of the mats! :shock:

BTW - mine are indoor cats.#

Ditto - on all counts (although I think it is unlikely Murphy would end up with matted fur!)

dinahsmum
18-04-2006, 10:35 AM
The vet programmes with cats who have got one arm caught in their collars are quite frightening. The skin under the arm breaks down and is the devil's own job to heal.
However, the points made about demonstrating ownership (chipped or not) are valid.

As with the indoor/outdoor, wet/dry food etc debates, this is something you have to weigh up individually.

tillytails
18-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Mine wear collars, they need it for the cat-flap opener and it also shows anyone that they aren't strays and in need of food or taking in! If they ever get into trouble then hopefully some kind soul would let me know too. In the worst case, not sure everyone would bother taking a dead cat to a vet to scan them - more people might pick up the phone though. They have CPL ones that will slip over their heads if needs be and they've never got caught up in them in the last 8 years or so.

Having said that, the one that roams quite far is also chipped, the other goes no further than our garden so she's not.

Booktigger
19-04-2006, 01:30 PM
My two, and the two long term fosters all wear collars - Tom is the only one who has lost one, but when I first put a collar on him, his neck was so big that it barely fit, so I had to check it every day, and must have forgot one day - he had a collar on so I could let him out on a collar and lead (harness was too small for him!!). Ginger is the only one with a proper name tag, the others have cheap barrels - the reason being that Ginger keeps being found in people's houses, so I wanted them to be able to ring me, the others wouldn't let anyone near them (and in Molly's case, not even me!!). Ginger and Tom's have come in handy when they have been eating out of someone else's food bowl as I can hear them. Only Pebbles is microchipped, I do keep meaning to get Ginger done and the rescue don't think it is worth doing Molly at her age - have to admit, that is what keeps putting me off with Ginger.
I would never use flea collars on them though.

Julie84
19-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I would never use flea collars on them though.

Horrible things (and all but useless). :p

smudgley
19-04-2006, 02:54 PM
My cats always wear collars with our phone number on. When Mitten got run over - someone called me straight away as she had my mobile number on her collar.

Emily is also microchipped -
Smudge isn't :shock: which reminds me.........:roll:

Sweet
19-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Violet keeps losing her collars!! but I have always replaced with a name barrel and name tag and bell - tried the Ancol ones with safety catch and now on a elastic one. Violet is also chipped.

Mau Mau has a collar, name barrel and name tag and bell - but isnt allowed out just yet we are only on week 2 of having her - she goes out with me on her cat lead. Mau Mau is also chipped and the Dogs/Cats Home has changed her details on the register over to mine x

Kim
19-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Horrible things (and all but useless). :p

Totally agree. They don't work and the chemical in the collar can actually cause an allergy and eventually the fur wears off where the collar has been. Vets generally don't recommend them. Better to use flea preparations from the vet.

Mags
19-04-2006, 06:32 PM
I had problems using flea collars with my previous cat.......his neck area got sore. Never used a flea collar since as I always get the flea preparation from the vet now...