PDA

View Full Version : Lost cats - your good news stories

dinahsmum
14-04-2006, 11:52 AM
It seems a good time to start a thread on missing cats that come home.

My experience is Mini, who went missing for 4 days and turned up up a tree in the playing field near us. :shock: :? :roll:
We had done about 100 flyers and posted them through every letterbox in the area. Some lads decided they would go out and find her ... and they did. And got a £20 for their trouble! :)

Your stories.....?

Donna
14-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Misty disappeared one Sunday lunchtime whilst I was working in the garden - dont think she liked all the noise.

She didnt appear all that evening/night. By the next day I was convinced she had been caught by a fox (only about 4 months old). Did loads of leaflets for my area and by the time I had got back delivering them I had a call from a lady that said she was in her house yesterday and she put her out the front (my cats DO NOT go out the front) so felt that was the end of her.

Had another call a while later to say she had been seen in someone's garden. My daughter and I ran round the rear access and was calling. We heard a feint miaow and then we saw her!!! She was stuck in someones garden. We eventually managed to get her out through the fence (she was only tiny) and took her home.

She was all mucky and rough looking and had no claws left - think she had been trying to get out but couldnt.

I couldnt believe she had survived a night out on her own being so young, but they are born survivors arnt they?

CJK
14-04-2006, 12:06 PM
pilchard went missing, on the second day i printed off 200 flyers, put them through letterboxes, on lmapposts, shop windows.

Have three phone calls, people thinking they spotted him.
Eventaulyl the little minx walktezed in tha back door, a little ruffled looking but the noone the worse.

Few months later oatmeal went walkied for 5 days, did the same tihng.

then again about three eyars ago now, pilchard vanished again. We sadly never found him this time

But other times the flyers really helped, had people in the street saying they would keep thier eyes open, and people phoning me for more details so they could keep an eye out.

CathyW
14-04-2006, 12:12 PM
when we first moved into this flat, our reggie jumped out the window images/smilies/icon_eek.gif he got onto a bin shed roof and jumped down. but of course he couldnt get back up. so sat on my neighbours kitchen window sill all night crying. i hadnt noticed he had gone, it was late i thought he had gone to bed. so just went to bed myself. i now check the cats now every night.

Fran
14-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I have so many stories of my cats going walk abouts over the years that I wouldn't know where to start :? I have to say though that they've come home or have been found in the majority of cases. The only cat I have had never given me a day's worry in this area was Lucky. In the 18 years I had her she never once disappeared, ever :cool:

Snoof
14-04-2006, 12:16 PM
When Ninja's pillow was inadvertently thrown away, we didn't see him in the house at all for two weeks. I'm sure he actually did come in, but he hid or went out every morning before we got up, so I worried myself sick :shock:

After the two weeks, he suddenly decided people are just dandy :roll:

Mags
14-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I have two 'lost' cat stories.......one good, one bad...

They both relate to my previous cat Sam, a big ginger tom who loved to wander afar!
The first time he disappeared when he was about a year old.....we searched high and low for him and thought we had lost him. After three days he appeared in the garden caked in dried mud:roll:....miaowing his head off!! We have a river about half a mile away and I can only assume that he had gone into the mud looking for water rats (he often brought them home and deposited them at the back door:roll:). What a relief when he was back home!

The second time he went missing for two days when he was two. We used to go out calling him at night and tapping his dish........no sign:(
Then one night my son shouted out from bed. I went in and there was Sam looking very sorry for himself and making soft growling noises. It wasn't until the morning that I had a good look at him and could see he was in distress. His back leg was at a peculiar angle. I phoned a taxi immediatly (I don't drive) and got him to the vet. It turned out he had a broken pelvis and had to be crated for 3 weeks.
The amazing thing was that he somehow managed to crawl home with a broken pelvis, get up 2 steps and through the cat flap, get up the stairs and somehow onto my sons bed where he always used to sleep.........I call that devotion!;)

Luke
14-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Elsa hasnt dissapeared without trace-yet!
Clementine has big time on two occasions..one when she was very young and was away for 3 or 4 days and turned up one morning on the door step sniffing the milk bottles..and the other when i first joined CP when she was away for about a week without a trace..i thought she was a gonner i really did..but she wandered into a nieghbours kitchen one day and then she was home!

We've had a fair few cats over the years and theyve allways had their 'wandering off' times and usually have came back...bar the odd few that didnt return but that is merely fate i guess...

Jeanette
14-04-2006, 07:47 PM
What stories...:(

Luckily none of my cats have gone wandering.. But they dont have the opportunity, as we live on the 1. floor (used to live on the 3. floor).

These stories are the reasons that my cats would never be outside even if we get the opportunity.. I cant sit at work, not knowing where my cats are.:(

Naomi
14-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Moli has sort of got lost twice.....

Fortunately both times she was accidentally locked in the car :roll:

Moli
14-04-2006, 09:26 PM
My siamese Sam disappeared for 2 weeks a few years ago, we were renting a cottage while looking for a house, he got into a corn field and lost his bearings...I put an ad on the local radio, the local newspaper did a story about him, I went round all outlying farm looking for him, some of these miles away from the cottage....2 weeks later, a farmer came to the door to say he had seen him in his barn....Went up and sat in the barn for an hour shouting, he appeared, very thin, but so pleased to see me!

Donna
14-04-2006, 10:34 PM
The second time he went missing for two days when he was two. We used to go out calling him at night and tapping his dish........no sign:(
Then one night my son shouted out from bed. I went in and there was Sam looking very sorry for himself and making soft growling noises. It wasn't until the morning that I had a good look at him and could see he was in distress. His back leg was at a peculiar angle. I phoned a taxi immediatly (I don't drive) and got him to the vet. It turned out he had a broken pelvis and had to be crated for 3 weeks.
The amazing thing was that he somehow managed to crawl home with a broken pelvis, get up 2 steps and through the cat flap, get up the stairs and somehow onto my sons bed where he always used to sleep.........I call that devotion!;)

What an amazing cat to get to your son's bed with those injuries. He obviously felt very safe and loved there.

Mags
14-04-2006, 11:03 PM
What an amazing cat to get to your son's bed with those injuries. He obviously felt very safe and loved there.
He must have dragged himself up there Donna because he felt safe there......

Moli
14-04-2006, 11:07 PM
He sounds a lovely boy Mags,did you ever find out what had happened to him??

Mags
14-04-2006, 11:11 PM
The vet didn't think he was hit by a car......said it looked more like he was hit with a bar:( At the time there were some Travellers camped on some wasteland not far away......and I have always wondered if they were involved in any way:mad:

Donna
14-04-2006, 11:13 PM
The vet didn't think he was hit by a car......said it looked more like he was hit with a bar:( At the time there were some Travellers camped on some wasteland not far away......and I have always wondered if they were involved in any way:mad:

Maybe its best you didnt find out exactly what had happened to him Mags. Just be thankful he survived and came home for help.

Mags
14-04-2006, 11:17 PM
It must have taken him pure guts to crawl his way home........:(

Snoof
14-04-2006, 11:59 PM
That's an amazing story. Poor lad though :(