PDA

View Full Version : Can cats love there owners?

JemBob
14-04-2006, 10:00 AM
right had this talk with loads of people...many different views....some people say that a cat doesnt care if it is rehomed because they are so indepented (cant spell it) and they dont't felll love for there owners...

but I have to disagree oscar follows me everywhere always has to sleep under my arm and is wanting cuddles 24/7, and if he does wander off he aint far away for me!

want do you think people??

CJK
14-04-2006, 10:02 AM
of course they love thier owners

all my four do, they love thier fuss and cuddles and hugs and pampering.

Princess follwos me all over the palce,never more than a few feet away. And If Mr Darcy hasnt seen me for a few minutes he comes looking for me.

the moggies are diff, they ARE a lot more indpenedant, but still ahve thier moments when they want fuss

Donna
14-04-2006, 10:45 AM
the moggies are diff, they ARE a lot more indpenedant, but still ahve thier moments when they want fuss

Do you belive moggies are less affectionate than purebreeds then Cj???

CJK
14-04-2006, 10:57 AM
not less affectionate, just more independant. the moggies WANT to go out, where as the persians want to be near people.
I still believe they all love thier owners though

CJK
14-04-2006, 11:02 AM
found this article related to this topic:

Love of a Cat

Cats are said to be independent, aloof, and not in need of company except on their terms. This is true only of some cats; certainly not all. Cats raised by people from an early age either think they are almost human, or that the human is almost a cat.

In fact, throughout a cat-person bond, the two may switch roles without realizing it. On occasion, a cat will bring home a dead or half-dead animal as a token of her love and respect (a touching, if gruesome, method of confirming the bond).

Bringing home “love offerings” of this type is a sign of attachment and belonging. There are others that require less clean up. When the bond is strong, a cat will:

Tend to follow you around. She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down). Your cat may jump in your lap or may just find a chair nearby. Either way, she prefers to spend time with you.

Become slightly depressed when you leave, and greet you enthusiastically upon your return. She may learn to recognize the sound of your car pulling up and run to the door, expecting your presence.

Send subtle cat signals of affection to you throughout the day. These often take the form of classic “cat kisses” – staring at you adoringly, then squinting or slowly closing her eyes.

Send not-so-subtle signals, such as rubbing her head upon you (marking you with her scent), and of course, purring.

Lying on her back, with her stomach exposed. This is a sign of trust, because your cat is now in a vulnerable position. Many owners mistakenly think this is a request for a belly rub. It usually isn't.

This is a cat’s affection at its most intense. They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you. There’s no difficulty to describe this sort of relationship as love.

dinahsmum
14-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Of course cats love their owners.
However, I think it's part of the package that is their 'domain'. Owners, warm house, comfy bed, good food.......... all the things they love, together.
Cats don't tend to stay with bad owners - they have the intelligence and the independent streak to either just go, or better still, find themselves a new place.

Fran
14-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Yes I firmly believe my cats love me :cool: But the realtionship I had with Lucky, I do not think I will ever have again :( She adored me, needed me and me her...

JemBob
14-04-2006, 12:39 PM
oscar love me then :lol: always follows me about always in the same room either on my lap or near me always shows his belly and like to pad on my arm at night lmao :lol: :roll: but with very sharp claws...

strange many people dont think they love you tho strange aint it

Booktigger
14-04-2006, 02:09 PM
I would say yes, but the extent depends on the cat as well as the owner - my neighbour used to have an ex-feral who he rarely interacted with cos she was so temperamental - it didn't bother me, I always gave her a fuss and a kiss when I walked in and she knew that I wasn't bothered about her attacking me (mainly my fault for not reading the signs), and would come back 5 mins after attacking me for another fuss, cos she knew she would get it. She would nearly always come home with me to see if she would get a treat, and I played with her too ,which she didn't get at home. I was the only person who ever picked her up, and she trusted me to clip her claws, cos no one else even attempted to do them. I have to say that as Tom is so attached to me, I am slightly worried about how he will cope when we find him a new home (if that ever happens!!) - it is very rare for him not to be in the same room as me, and he follows me a lot!!

Naomi
14-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I bloomin well hope Mol's love me after all I do feed her, cuddle her, give her fusses etc :lol:

It's a completely different show of affection that you get from say....a dog or any other pet but it's still affection

Snoof
14-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Do you belive moggies are less affectionate than purebreeds then Cj???
I don't think CJ took it as a general question (or at least I bloody hope not :lol:). I think saying a purebreed is more affectionate than a moggie (in general) is as much a load of tosh as saying mulatto people are less affectionate than purely white or black people.

I think we all know there are lots of different types of cats with lots of different personalities out there. Some of them will always be a little more devil-may-care about their humans - and some of them will stray regardless of how many people try to keep them as housepets. How much of that is nature and how much is nurture is hard to say - as it is in humans.

I think the love of a cat is based on many things. A lot of people say, "The cat only likes you because you feed it", and while I'm sure cats do quite appreciate being fed (:roll:) I don't think that's nearly all of it. There's trust involved - and some cats trust people easily (like my old Dishrag). Others don't. For some trust comes naturally (and sometimes only with certain humans), for others it needs work.

I'm sure a lot of things factor into it. And you could translate that to "the cat is only being self-serving". But is there truly a type of love that isn't self-serving? I'm perfectly willing to admit that I love everyone I love because I like being around them, because they make me happy, because it's not as good when they're not around.

It's maybe not the same type of love humans experience between humans, but I think it qualifies as love, yes.

Sweet
14-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I think my two love me....even tho Mau Mau has only been home with us since Monday last x

Donna
14-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Misty always looks pleased to see me so I think she loves me, whereas Chloe couldnt care less if I was around or not, so who knows!!! (I am working on her though so maybe one day....)

Kazz
15-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes they do, based on my own interaction with the three cats I've had since I've been an adult; Archie, Oscar and Cleo. I say Yes they do. And all of mine are moggies.

Kim
15-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I think that cats can definitely love their owners. Most of my cats have been rescue and I have noticed that as they settle in and become more used to us they will follow us and generally become very loving. We have 4 cats and they all have such differing personalities; Misty (the Birman) is definitely more independent than the mogs and tends to 'use' the house as a hotel with a bit of love & affection thrown in when HE feels like it! The others adore company and crave love and affection and a comfy lap. Roise perfers my daughter and I, Misty favours my son and Sidney & Sasha love us all!

bobbie3917
16-04-2006, 01:32 AM
yes i do think cat love us

as you all know i have 3 kittens here the second i go to sit down and watch a bit of TV the 3 boys make a bee line for me. they might be playing or feeding off mum or even sleeping with mum but they will come and sit on me. 1 of the boys is a little shy and he still likes to be next to me (and the kids)
yes i do feed them and i only have to call dinner and the 3 are there in 10 seconds flat but to watch 3 kittens slowly walk from mum 1 at a time and come and sit by me is great (its not cos i am warmer then her cos MC like to be cool i have 5 draught excluders ((SP?)) lol) and as soon as mum notices that she is on her own up she comes and sites right next to me.
i cant remember the last time i went to the loo alone. cos they love us

Booktigger
16-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I think this photo says a lot!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/bliss.jpg

Mags
16-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Awwww bless them.....lovely pic!

Hreow
16-04-2006, 05:31 PM
It's is a relationship, just like a human relationship, only not quite for the same reasons. How many exes have you wondered if it was just the habit that kept them there? Or the food, comfort etc.? :-)
Some cats you bond with. Deep, soul-mate type bonding. Some are very good friends. Some see you as part of the furniture. You have clingy = good relationships and clingy = bad, or the safe, cosy, pervasive total trust you also get between (some) people who have spent decades together. It depends on the person and the cat involved.

MzTrouble
02-05-2006, 07:08 PM
When I went to university, my family had 2 cats. One of the cats was not bothered at all, but the other one pined for me and lost weight for a while. We were really worried about him! So I think, yes, they do love their owners, but, like people show it in different ways.

Oh, and both my cats were moggies :D

CathyW
02-05-2006, 08:16 PM
reggies obsessed with me, will sleep close to me, kisses me contantly, followes me around, sits on the side of the bath when im in the tub.yea i think cats are capable of love, and my 2 are moggies.

honeybunny
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
My three are all very different - my old boy Hef just loves people full stop and yes I think he loves me but I also think he would love other people just as much if I wasn't around. Maybe that is a consequence of him being a stray at an advanced age?

The middle one is ex-feral and very nervous. He only puts up with me, my bf and my mum and dad when he stays at their house. And he only comes to my dad (who I'm convinced is a cat whisperer) or I for affection. But in a way I'd say he relies on me more than my old boy, because of his limited tolerable human quotient. I don't for a second confuse that with love.

My baby is very loving indeed - cuddly as can be. Again she's a rescue cat, but she lacks the independent spirit of the other two.

But do they actually love me? Maybe but certainly not as much as I love them!

ATD
15-02-2007, 11:42 PM
i think they love their owners but if you stopped feeding them and the neighbour feed them i think they would go where they were better off its their natural instinct, thats why i was worried about putting uma on a diet she gets a small amount of bisc and one pouch a day but she still comes back
AYD xxx

Kobster
16-02-2007, 02:17 AM
My Cats deffinately love me and would be shattered if I left rehomed them.

My Tylerbug, now gone to the bridge, bonded with me so well as a kitten I was fostering that he was unsuccessfully rehomed twice and refused to eat and hid under the bed for weeks. Once back with me, he was a normal happy kitten. He never warmed up to any other person, he was a momma's boy.

I don't think Thurston would care if I was there or not, but he is def attached to my brother and my Mom.

When I'm gone for several weeks my cats rush to me and want their cuddles and are clingy for days and days after I come home.

When they look up at me with those big green eyes, how could it be anything but love?

One thing is certain, I love them! :)

Rosie
16-02-2007, 11:59 AM
NO I don't believe cats love us in the "forever and ever" sense. They give us all the indications of love i.e. following us about sitting on our laps or sleeping with us but I know from experience that if someone else comes to look after them within a very short space of time they "love" them too. I don't think the bond is the same as that of a dog. To me it doesn't lessen them in anyway I just accept that they are very independent creatures and have great admiration for them.

We as humans are desperate for love so we interpret things to suit ourselves. Some people believe their Lizards love them yet it has been proved beyond doubt that Lizards are incapable of any of the feelings that your average domestic animal has but that wont put off the owners.

dinahsmum
16-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I tend to agree with Rosie - a dog will love you unconditionally, dogs stay with, and appear to love, inept and abusive owners .... catch a cat doing that! Like Rosie, I admire that trait in cats and I think that is much of the reason why some people 'hate' cats - they distrust or can't understand their independence

ellenlouise
16-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I think my two love me but in different ways. Trinity loves me because of my cuddles and lies on her back wanting me to fuss her. Yesterday i was in bed and she kept moving close and closer to me her hear had to be leant on my hand and if i moved away she would wake up and sit back on my hand. Her love is very visual she rolls around and follows me she loves every second she gets with her mum or dad.

While Trixie is the opposite instead of following me everywhere and wanting to be on my lap she will sit on a chair near by. She comes for cuddles occasionally but would much prefer just to lie on my feet.

I LOVE THEM and I think thats more important than them loving me.

smudgley
16-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I think my two love me but in different ways. Trinity loves me because of my cuddles and lies on her back wanting me to fuss her. Yesterday i was in bed and she kept moving close and closer to me her hear had to be leant on my hand and if i moved away she would wake up and sit back on my hand. Her love is very visual she rolls around and follows me she loves every second she gets with her mum or dad.

While Trixie is the opposite instead of following me everywhere and wanting to be on my lap she will sit on a chair near by. She comes for cuddles occasionally but would much prefer just to lie on my feet.

I LOVE THEM and I think thats more important than them loving me.

:cat21 that's really sweet. :cat21

Animagus
17-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I think cats do love their humans.... My Casper (now at the bridge) was always near me purring in my ear wanting ears scratched and hated when I left and stuck like glue when I came back....

my other 2 are both different in their shows of love...

CJ only comes near when he wants to but always checks to see if I am there every so often... if he is out he comes back every half hour to check up on me lol and will occasionally get up beside me for a snuggle....

the wee one Smudge totally different an absolute pest when it comes to attention :roll: .... all over you, sits on your head and chest and sticks his face in yours, cant go to bed and he is there lying on my side with his paw touching my face while CJ lies at the side of or under the bed... Smudge however doesnt give a totty if he's out and will ignore you till its time to come in...

So I would say all cats are different in their shows of love but love us all the same ....no matter if they are moggies or thoroughbreds :-P

tilly
17-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I have to say my to love me as they will come and find me so that they can have cuddles.
I do think that Busters love is more of a cupbord love as he definately love me more when it is time to be fed. But he does love me more then other peopl as he is very shy of other people and runs away from the if he doesn't know them.
Tilly will always come and sit on me if I am near by even if it means moving from where she was before. She also comes looking from me if she hasn't seen me for a bit. She is also fairly shy but better than her brother.
Both are moggy cross with burmese. they are also came from a feral colony.

Sally

vicki
19-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Hmmmmm love?! Its a difficult one...love is a human emotion and as humans and as emotional creatures we put our emotions onto others, including animals. Now I'm not saying animals dont love, its just not really the same as 'love'. They 'need' us to provide for them as they have been so domesticated throughout the ages, I would like to think my cats loved me but I also think they could love anyone else that provided for them the lifestyle I lavish on them! LOL :D But they each enjoy my company in their own ways and I know what they each enjoy and provide it unconditionally where I can *soppy*!

Tanya
20-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I think cats CAN love their owners & I know for certain that Oli loves Hugh & I!!

The reason I say this is because we regularly leave Oli with Hughs mum and brother, who both adore him very much. He will get food off them and will have the occasional stroke, but other than that he will keep himself to himself. As soon as we are around he wants cuddles, kisses and lots of attention.

He is very much like a dog because he follows us around and when we take him to visit relatives he stays by our side too. His affection certainly does not change towards us because another person happens to be feeding him for a few days. In Oli's eyes they provide his food and thats about it.

We love our baby boy, just like he loves us - its unconditional! ;)

Darky
29-06-2007, 02:19 PM
'Love' is, in my opinion, far too specific a word. There are many different types of love, many different levels of feelings and actions related to 'love'. As such, I believe that although we shall never know for certain, it is highly possible for a cat to love a human.

They are independant, but certainly depend on us to an extent. Otherwise they would not return to us if they are outdoor cats, and if they were 100% independant, they would not give us the time of day.

I suffer with depression, and when I used to cry a lot - my cat Tiger would choose that moment to meow at me, crawl onto my lap and harass and bug me, padding at my chest and headbutting me, until I was distracted enough to stop crying.
I have not had a person care for me like that, but I have had a cat do so. That was, to me, love. I didn't give her anything to make her do it, I didn't even have to pay attention to her, but she stuck by me.

Now my kitten Honey is as clingy as can be, and follows me absolutely everywhere. Again, to me that is a type of love, because I am his carer.

dandysmom
29-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I can relate to that, Darky. When I was a moody teenager I'd be in my room crying about my latest woes/problems etc. and my cat Scamper (who I grew up with) did the same...he would come and comfort me...nothing to do with food, he just knew I was unhappy and was trying to comfort me.....

Jane
29-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I think yes, cats do love their owners. If they didn't love us, especially outdoor cats, it would be quite easy for them to find someone else to feed them or find their own food.

Then again, some days Patchypoos hates us :P

charliebubs
29-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I think they love us (I hope so anyway!!). I agree that they can pick up on our moods and comfort us - and they have no ulterior motive in doing that.

Wherever I am in the house, there is always at least one of the cats with me looking for a cuddle; and apart from Bernard they all sleep on my bed with me every night.

I agree that it is more important that I love them and they are what I come home to at the end of every day. :)

angieh
31-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Love of a Cat

Cats are said to be independent, aloof, and not in need of company except on their terms. This is true only of some cats; certainly not all. Cats raised by people from an early age either think they are almost human, or that the human is almost a cat.

In fact, throughout a cat-person bond, the two may switch roles without realizing it. On occasion, a cat will bring home a dead or half-dead animal as a token of her love and respect (a touching, if gruesome, method of confirming the bond).

Bringing home “love offerings” of this type is a sign of attachment and belonging. There are others that require less clean up. When the bond is strong, a cat will:

Tend to follow you around. She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down). Your cat may jump in your lap or may just find a chair nearby. Either way, she prefers to spend time with you.

Become slightly depressed when you leave, and greet you enthusiastically upon your return. She may learn to recognize the sound of your car pulling up and run to the door, expecting your presence.

Send subtle cat signals of affection to you throughout the day. These often take the form of classic “cat kisses” – staring at you adoringly, then squinting or slowly closing her eyes.

Send not-so-subtle signals, such as rubbing her head upon you (marking you with her scent), and of course, purring.

Lying on her back, with her stomach exposed. This is a sign of trust, because your cat is now in a vulnerable position. Many owners mistakenly think this is a request for a belly rub. It usually isn't.

This is a cat’s affection at its most intense. They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you. There’s no difficulty to describe this sort of relationship as love.
I would suppose that cats are animals of habit and the absense of their companion (of whatever species) triggers a "where have they gone, can I find them" type of response.

CJK wrote above: "She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down)."

That's so typical isn't it - and well expressed!

CJK also wrote "They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you."

I'm thinking of my cat Smudge. She has passed on now sadly, but she used to jump up onto the computer desk in the evening when I was playing solitaire and actually curl her claws around one of my fingers - if that's not holding hands!!!!

A most interesting debate!

meep
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
my cats have all been moggies and all loved me in very sweet, unique ways.

my first cat was a big male, the kitten of the cat my mum adopted when she got married. he was very independant, never sat on my knee etc. he was only allowed in the kitchen and outside, never in the living room or bedrooms (my mum was allergic) and so he wasn't very affectionate. he was also very nonplussed with strangers. but when i went on holiday with a friend for a week he sat by the door from the kitchen into the rest of the house (which i always come through every morning for school) pretty much all day every day and stopped eating until i got home a week later. he also used to go for 'walks' with around our (quite large) garden and surrounding countryside. he wouldn't walk beside me, but if i went for a wander, he wouldn't be far away up a tree or hiding in a bush. it didn't at all feel like the blind obedience of a dog, and like i said he wasn't a lap-cat, but there was a huge bond there. i was devastated when he had to be put down. (a tumour in his stomach).

my other cat, sophie, is a female torti from the rescue shelter. we got her when she was about 2. she wouldn't let anyone touch her tail or rear-end, and was very wary of men. so we think she had been abused as a younger cat (perhaps picked up and swung by her tail?) when we first got her she was very timid and flighty. she loves outside, and as we had to keep her indoors the first wee while when we got her, all she did was sit by the window. i am a HUGE cat person (as i'm sure you all are :) ) but the most so out my family. so i gave her lots of attention but was never the one to feed her (my mum did this). so it can't be a 'the-person-who-feeds-me' love thing.

anyway, when she started to settle down it turns out she wasnt a lap-cat either. like my old cat, she was onl allowed in the kitchen and outside (but we had an aga so she didn't seem to mind lack of beds or couches ;) ) she would often sit and stare for hours at me, when i was eating dinner or watching tv perhaps, with the 'love-you' eyes and slow blinks.

soon after we got her and she was allowed outside (she had a cat-flap, so could come and go as she pleased) i went round to a friends house for an afternoon bbq. we lived at the bottom of a private drive, about 50 metres long, and had a lot of garden. so she (and all our cats) have never strayed beyond the garden or even half way up the drive. but as i walked to my friends up the drive, she followed me. she stopped when i got to teh top of the drive and meowed a few times. i just thought she'd go home eventually.

i walked home about 5 hours later, and it was raining, when who should pop out of the bushes but sophie! i can't say what she'd been doing in those 5 hours but she was waiting (it seems slightly anxiously!) for me to get home - in the rain too! again, with my old male cat, not the same affection as a dog, but a very strong bond.

she also used to frequently leave me about 2 or 4 dead mine and shrews in a row on my window ledge (outside). a lovely wake-up present!

i do miss my cats so :( (sophie is still alive and well but living with my dad still.)

Phoenix
23-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Love of a Cat

The only sign of the above Beauty doesn't give is the bringing back dead things. She can't hunt, tries to catch things but they are too quick for her.

In answer to the question Beauty does love me and I adore her! :-D

Steph
23-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Only two sentient beings can get away with waking me at some God awful hour in the morning by nuzzling my ear-and I try to discourage my wife

Elmstar
30-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I have one cat who definitely loves me....almost as much as she loves herself :D

jan
28-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Well, Max as much as I love him, mainly fusses me when he wants food. Tess will get into my bed and drape herself over me and sleep cuddledup for ages if she is allowed. Felix (and Tess used to) HAS to climb onto my left shoulder every morning without fail and just nuzzle my hair,my neck, claws going into my back (ouch!) but as he has already been fed at this point its not cupboard love ! He also plonks onto my chest (not my lap!) and gets as close to your face as he can to settle - usually preventing me watching the television. Maisie is so timid I feel privilaged the few times she rubs up against my leg or occasionally jumps onto my lap for a fleeting moment. Yes, some cats more than others have a stronger emotional bond with their owners. Thats love. Jx

CrAzy Mii
29-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Well I deffinately believe cats live their owner!!:D
Our cats follow us everwhere and always seem to want some fuss!! Even when you don't see them for a few days, when they get back they'll want a hundred times their usual fuss!! If a cat didn't love it's owner then why would it come back home after we let it free?? Why do some cats go miles just to find their owner?? And even if some think it's all for food and warmth, well they can think again!! Otherwise why would they spend most of their lives being by the side of their owner??
:D

Serena
09-06-2009, 09:59 PM
My cat Poppy is like a little shadow following me around purring, making a humming noise, loud mmmmm noises (I have to wear a hearing aid as I am a little deaf) but she always makes sure I hear her especially when she wants food!) She is on a prescription diet at the moment, being a little overwieght but that doesn't stop her in the early morning climbing over my legs just as I wake up (how she knows I am awake I am not sure) walks over my face, then crashes down on the pillow onto my face, which means I have to move a bit and get just enough space between her and my husbands head to try and sleep on before she demands 'breakfast' she is a beautiful darling, always butts our faces and loves cuddles, purring VERY loudly! She was adopted from our vets (mixed tortoishell) I believe cats DO love humans in their own way same as we all love them and their funny ways.

SLR30
25-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I definetly believe cats love their owners,,,,,if you love them and look after them they repay you with their own love and affection;) :D

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:31 PM
i wish i knew the answer to this.id like to think they do
im sure my late beloved bear loved me

shimmy
24-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I think they love us most definately. some cats show it in different ways and amounts i believe, my old cat Stimpy used to be all over me 24 /7 she,d jump fences at 15mph with me in the car as i came home.(maybe not tht fast but u know tht exited sprinting) That for me says it all.

Shelley123
24-01-2010, 06:08 PM
My Cat Jerry loves me so much i think he would eat me up if he could get away with it :lol:
He sometimes licks my fingers or toes (not something i realy allow) but he will very gently give a testing nibble and if you don't react he will begin chewing:shock: :shochttp://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af118/thunderbird8588/Cats/Jerry/chew.jpgk:

Stephan
06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Love??-only a cat can get away with waking you at 4 in the morning,drooling in your face and then being expected to get away with muddy paw marks all over the sheets

John
08-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Love??-only a cat can get away with waking you at 4 in the morning,drooling in your face and then being expected to get away with muddy paw marks all over the sheets

I agree with you all the way Stephan..5 oclock in comes "fat cat" I have to move over for him some times he is soaking wet , which can be a bit of a shock to the system at that time of the morning and I am fast asleep..he is puurrring away and expecting loads of cuddles..
he was homeless and moved in with me about a year ago..he is now one plump and loving boy..

Aquatic
15-02-2010, 10:04 PM
My moggie Lily the one I had before Felix was a moggie and loved to be around me she followed me everywhere like a little lamb it was so sweet. Felix is also the same but sleeps way more than Lily ever did :D

Serena
18-12-2010, 10:49 PM
right had this talk with loads of people...many different views....some people say that a cat doesnt care if it is rehomed because they are so indepented (cant spell it) and they dont't felll love for there owners...

but I have to disagree oscar follows me everywhere always has to sleep under my arm and is wanting cuddles 24/7, and if he does wander off he aint far away for me!

want do you think people??

I think cats do love their owners, my poppy always follows me about,'talks' to me with a variety of noises, purrs and "hmmm's" sleeps near me on our bed, especially if there's a hot water bottle under the duvet! Cats are not just 'animals' they're beautiful, loving and clever.

Kirsten
23-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't think cats can love - their brains are too tiny, for one thing. I think they behave in a way which meets their needs and which they know brings them rewards, and we interpret it as love because we want to think it is. I think Pete trusts me, and he knows I'll do the things that meet his needs (feed him, feed him, cuddle him, feed him), and he's quite content to be around me, but it's not love.

fecto's mum
24-11-2014, 12:06 AM
My cats love me, they miss me if I'm not around even if OH is. They come for fuss and purr like mad. Fecto sleeps on my head, Huggins sleeps under my chin, Big Fooze and Swirl sleep at the side of me on the sofa. Chubbiz used to help me with jigsaws and would sit on the Scrabble board without disturbing the letters. He loved me holding his paw which I did when he died. Cats are capable of love just like any animal.

dinky
24-11-2014, 07:14 AM
I totally agree, Fecto's mum. Cats can certainly love their owners, especially if owners spend a lot of time with them.All my colourpoints have had a special bond with me and Snodgrass always looks at me with adoration in his eyes.When I am home, he is never far from me and always sleeps touching me at night. It's a bit of a pain when it's a hot night. My daughter has often said that if Snoddy was a man, he would marry me. !

PoshPuss
24-11-2014, 11:10 AM
I believe some 'love' you more than others. Pandora uses me, it's strictly cupboard love. She'll purr and head butt but it's all to an end, once she's fed she's off :) Pearla likes to be sat beside you and smoothed, she's def more tactile, but is easily distracted and can be aloof. Phoebe like human company but not being petted, she can sit in the same room as you for hours but sleeps on a surface where she can keep an eye on you. The only cat that I feel truly loved me was Posh, my persian, we instantly bonded and I could carry her around like a baby. She adored being carried and hand fed and would come to me above anyone, my DH used to get a bit put out about it :lol: She slept close to me and when her time came I was distraught, I wanted her to know I was with her to the last; she went blind at the end of her short life with us. I'm filling up now thinking about it :( but I know she is waiting for me 'up there' :)

Peanutsfriend
08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Each cat is different, but most of the cats I known in my life, which is fifteen. Most loved me with all their being.
I had one reborn ferel cat that never cared for me. But maybe she respected me. She loved the rest of the cats living here at that time.

Yulecat
17-12-2014, 01:03 AM
Emotions as jealousy are secondary emotions that only animals such as elephants and monkeys have. Cause they are aware of them self. Cats and dogs only have primary emotions, such as fear. At least, that's what scientists say.
In which category would love fit?

I think animals are evolving (is that the right English word?). They have emotions and feel like their instinct makes them feel. We humanize their acts and call it jealousy or hate, or maybe even love.

But I think some animals are capable to feel more or think more than they are supposed to. Do my cats love me? Yes. I have contacted an animal communicator and she told me things only my cats would know, things I never told her. My cats love me. Do they love me only because I'm their can-opener? Who knows, but I don't care.

They miss me when I'm on vacation, they greet me at the door. They snuggle up with me when I'm sick. If that's not love, then I don't know what it is.

Marigold7
06-09-2015, 04:58 PM
If you could have seen and heard my little cat when she came home after being missing six weeks and indeed could see her just now chinning my hand and crying, you would know cats know what love is and show it. I always knew this with this girl which is why I could not believe she had wandered off willingly. Often she will come and love me for no reason other than sheer love. I will watch and know that it is not for food or for anything but sheer love of me. Deeply thankful she is HOME! alleluia!

fureverywhere
10-09-2015, 03:01 AM
Just like humans, all very different personalities
Chii-could care less unless the food bowl is empty. But she is an elderly cat. If you swoop down and put her in your arms she purrs like a big baby.
Boo is the perfect lap cat, Stumpy too.
Mr. Foote follows me room to room, you go to the bathroom and guess who pops out of the bath tub?
Ninja and Levon try to be all manly, but they're the first to come running and chirping when I come home.
Of course our cats love us. They just act less needy about it than dogs. When I come in from picking up the mail the dogs act like it's the second coming.

Tippi
08-05-2016, 04:06 PM
I do believe cats love their owners, I know mine love us to bits. Raffles, long hair black is all over us and can't get enough of all the loving. Rosie loves my husband and she flirts with him all the time, follows him around especially out in the garden. She only comes to me for her food:roll: Another thing, cats know when they can trust a human who loves cats. We were adopted by a stray many years ago. Came up to Alan when he got out of the car, and followed him straight inside the house. Jumped up on the sofa and that was it wouldn't budge. We named her Holly as it was a few weeks before Christmas.