PDA

View Full Version : Depressive cat

Donna
13-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Not sure what is going on with Chloe.

She has always been quiet and shy, but she seems to be getting worse. She stays out of the way most of the time, and if you approach her she runs away. She will hardly ever come to you for attention.

She is now turning her nose up at any food I put down. Been trying all sorts to tempt her to eat.

I dont know if she has always been like this, or whether I am just noticing it more as Misty has turned into a right character. Always there when I am in the kitchen, always scoffing her food, always chatting and miaowing, always coming right up to my face for attention etc etc.

Any advice as to what to do with Chloe - she seems to want to disappear completely and I feel that she cant be happy with the way things are.

Not sure if Misty is the problem with her, but dont see anything too serious - just a more dominant character.

andrew021
13-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Seems one is more dominant than the other.

You would think Misty is overshadowing Chloe who just wants to shy away. Could you seperate them for a while to see if Chloe comes out a bit more.

If they use a litter tray does Chloe cover her poo and Misty doesn't. Apoparently if a cat doesn't cover its poo it sees itself as the more dominant one, allowing its scent to circulate.

Donna
13-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Seems one is more dominant than the other.

You would think Misty is overshadowing Chloe who just wants to shy away. Could you seperate them for a while to see if Chloe comes out a bit more.

If they use a litter tray does Chloe cover her poo and Misty doesn't. Apoparently if a cat doesn't cover its poo it sees itself as the more dominant one, allowing its scent to circulate.

Misty never covers her poo up. We had Chloe for six weeks before we got Misty (both as kittens). But Chloe seems to be getting worse.

Misty is upstairs at the moment and Chloe was in the dining room. Just tried to give her a bit of steak and she turned her nose up. Came up to get it, but just didnt want it once she smelt it. Not sure what to do with her. Tried her with cat biscuits too and turned her nose up at them. She hasnt eaten at all today :cry:

Fran
13-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Donna - just a thought, could she be unwell? Off her food and wanting to hide away could indicate not being very well... I hope it isn't that but just something to consider?

Donna
13-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Well as Misty was upstairs and Chloe was obviously hungry (although not eating) I decided to try something...

Cooked a cod filet and went out into the garden with her and shut the door. Although very very nervous (probably of bully neighbourhood cat) I sat down on the floor with her and fed her. At first she refused as it was rather hot but started to eat small amounts off my fingers. Eventually with me feeding her and then on her own she ate a whole bowl full. Misty was inside miaowing through the French doors :-) but I didnt let her out.

What does this mean?

She either wants fresh cooked food every day?
Is scared of Misty?
Doesnt like eating indoors?
Likes me to sit with her and spoon fed her?

Never straightforward is it?

andrew021
13-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Misty must be a bully, if eating Chloe's food.

I remember watching Britains Worst Pets. A lady had two cats, the second one she got became the dominant one. The original reacted like Chloe, it didnt want to come into the house but just sat in the garden and would hiss at the owner when approached.

Rather than having to sepearte them for good, the owner had to wash her hands and wear a different t-shirt when she approached the submissive cat so it wouldnt smell the scent of the other cat. That way the cat would let her approach it and lift and feed it.

Its sad if one cat is afraid of the other cat, maybe if you searched ther Net you might find some answers as Im sure others have experienced this problem before also. Good Luck

Donna
13-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Misty must be a bully, if eating Chloe's food.

Misty doesnt even eat all her own food - she has half a bowl left at the moment from this morning so that will be binned. Chloe's is untouched.

Dont think the problem is Misty eating Chloes food as there is always plenty down (enough for about ten cats I think!!)

yola
13-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I think it is a dominant/submissive cat issue. I know Balie used to take food from my hands frequently - and all sorts of food. Since originally Ferdy and now Darcy came into the equation it's kind of upset the balance for him and he'll now only occasionally come to me for food. He is still alpha cat though as he's the only one of the 3 who'll not bury his jobbies.

He has also withdrawn from interaction with the other cats or people in the house and only maintains a kind of one to one thing with me. Bless!!

Donna - I can only suggest you persevere on the 1-2-1 basis for the moment and maybe gradually integrate Chloe back into group eating when her confidence has been restored.

Donna
13-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all your advice everyone, but one big question remains:

WHY WONT SHE EAT CAT FOOD?

logoes
13-04-2006, 03:29 PM
If she seems hungry but won't eat have you checked her mouth/teeth ? I think that she probably needs lots of re-assurance and time with you by herself though. I've not had this problem with cats but several times with dogs. Logoes

Donna
13-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Her teeth must be fine as she wolfed down the cod filet I hand fed her and she has eaten a few biscuits I have given her and she crunches them up, so feel her teeth and mouth must be ok. Not had a close look tho as she wont stand me to do that.

Sounds silly I know but I dont think she likes bowls!

logoes
13-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Not silly at all, lots of animals are picky about their food being in the *right* container. Have you tried pot, glass ,stainless steel, plastic contai ners, plates, saucers etc. India absolutely refuses to eat anything that is the least bit chilly, I have to warm all her food for her and her milk has to be put out sometime before she has it. My biggest worry is that she won't eat anything other than cat food. Hope you get Chloe sorted out soon Logoes

Donna
13-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Well she has had some Felix tuna tonight. About 1/3rd pouch. Gave it to her up on the tumble dryer away from Misty.

Played with her for about an hour on her own - Misty was in the living room with Sean and Emma. She did enjoy the playing, but did not like me getting too close. If I go to stroke her or go near her she runs away. If she is standing and I go to stroke her back she lowers herself so much so I dont touch her and she walks with her tummy on the floor.

I just dont think she likes us very much :cry:

andrew021
14-04-2006, 09:05 AM
I wouldnt worry about that, my cat Jet can be the same.

Times she will be all over me and other times I cannot go near her, she runs away or as you said she will lower her back and walk away. Think its just Jets (cats) nature to be like that.

Did you try washing your hands before playing with her in case Misty's scent is still on you. Worth a try.

Snoof
14-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Are your bowls narrow and/or deep? It could be she's not liking them because her whiskers are running against the edges. If she's afraid of Misty (I don't know if that's the case though, but "afraid" in general will do) she might not like that sort of impairment of her senses... Have you tried feeding her on a plate?

Donna
14-04-2006, 06:07 PM
She did have a problem with a bowl once - stainless steel - it got stuck to her collar as she had a magnet on it for the cat flap and she was scared as the bowl stuck to her and as she ran it tipped up all over.

(Did look funny but looking back she might be a bit scared due to this incident)

Never used the bowls since and use fairly shallow plastic ones.