PDA

View Full Version : Advice pretty please

Sweet
13-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Latest news from the household!......

Mau Mau would not eat the Hills dried food, I gave her a sachet of Whiskers Kitten I had in the cupboard late ish on Tuesday night because she had not eaten to my knowledge all the daytime. Mau Mau scoffed the lot really quick - she must of been starving....

Tried to give her another sachet on Wednesday morning, and she promptly walked away :?

I was out at a funeral all day yesterday, Violet didnt want to come in prior to me going - so I left her out :roll: hoping she was ok, and she loved it!

I went to our local pet store on my way home yesterday and bought Hi-Life - after reading comments on here before it certainly seemed alot better ingreadiants etc..

Mau Mau was all excited.....came running.....but still seemed a little hesitant with it!

By the way.......Violet is loving it! think she thinks its better than her dried food and the fact its not really hers!! its Mau Mau's because she isnt really old enough I dont think!

This morning again Mau Mau came over all excited but didnt really stay long to eat - she must be starving! and it even looked lovely, big pieces of fish.

Help........

Am I doing the right things?

Is Violet going to be ok if she nicks Mau Mau's food even tho she is still only 8 Months?

The both of them together are getting along ok ish! Violet has had a few hissy fits at Mau Mau and she then runs...

Its hard keeping her inside tho! for 4 weeks!!! I bought a lead and harness yesterday to take her out on in the garden I feel so mean keeping her in - will try that later today.

Mau Mau is a loving cuddly cat, maulting everywhere! LOL.

I keep telling Violet that Mau Mau needed a new Mummy and little Sister!

Any advice would be appreciated - I am such a new Mummy to all this.

Julie, Violet and Mau Mau xxx

CJK
13-04-2006, 09:51 AM
princess was a little like this at first, I fed her away from the other cats for a few days and she scoffed all her dinner then. It was kinda funny cos I found she liked it ebst being fed at the top of the cat tower.

maybe Mau Mau is just a little nervous eating in front of other cats and you could try feeding her on her own somewhere? It may not help, but hopefully somebody else will have some better advice for you tot ry

yola
13-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Her boat has been rocked and she's in an unfamiliar place!!

Do you know what she was eating prior to coming to you? Might be an idea to start with that so she's got a 'point of reference'. Other than that, CJ's idea of feeding separately is good. If she gets really hungry it's likely she will eat what's put in front of her eventually. Just don't get too stressed about it - Mau Mau will sense it.

Hope that helps :D

Fran
13-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I think it is just due to the change Sweet. Feed her away from Violet for a few days. I'm sure she will settle in soon, it's been such a big upheaval for her. By the way, I think Violet will be fine with the hi-life food, just keep an eye on her tummy incase she gets a little runny but I'm sure she should be fine with it..

Donna
13-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Have problems with my 18 month Chloe with food at the moment. Cant offer any advice as I dont know myself!!!

Snoof
13-04-2006, 01:28 PM
If I remember the stories right (I didn't live here then), Ninja did the same thing for a few days. I think it would help if you get her the stuff she was fed at the rescue, but if that's not working I'd just be patient. It's a major upheaval in her life really, even if it's a brilliant one :-)

Sweet
13-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Thank you everyone :) for your replies.

At Bristol Dogs/Cats Home they feed what ever they have donated to them, so its never the same, I do know they feed a bowl of dry, a bowl of wet and fresh water daily.

I sat with her around 8 ish tonight and watched her feed nearly half of her food I put down tonight - :) good start :).

Maybe the fresh air done her good, I took her out into the garden twice on her cat lead, letting her dictate where we went and where she wanted to sniff etc....it was lovely to feel she was able to be outside with me - even tho it was on her lead.

I was told to keep her in for 4 weeks, but hopefully she will enjoy sniffing outside with me.

Julie, Violet and Mau Mau xxx

dandysmom
13-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I think the excursions on her lead are a great idea! And apparently did improve her appetite. I cuncur with separate feedings for a while. As far as the food: when & got Dandy as a kitten, I got him kitten chow; my 2 adult females had regular food...Dandy spurned his with an "I don't eat baby food!" look and gobbled the adults; and they, to my surprise, fell like vultures on the kitten chow.....didn't hurt anyone....:-D :-D