PDA

View Full Version : sprouting seeds

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Has anybody done this??? any tips?? I am thinking about having a go :-D

dinahsmum
11-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Go for it - it's dead easy and they are really nice. Good in the winter when you don't have as much fresh and crunchy!

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks DM, I have got a nice clean jam jar ready and I will pop to the garden centre on my way home and pick up some seeds :)

Kazz
11-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about but have a go.:-D

Mags
11-04-2006, 03:18 PM
:smt017 not sure what you mean either. :-D

logoes
11-04-2006, 03:38 PM
The best place to sprout them is the airing cupboard if you have one, if not any warm, not hot, place. Remember to rinse them each day or they get a bit musty tasting, Logoes.

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks Logoes, yes I have got an airing cupboard so I will give them a go in there, lol @ Kazz and Mags.

Sprouting seeds are seeds that you can sprout either in a jam jar or sprouter ;) more info here

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_19092.html

Well I purchased some Adzuki beans and some Mung beans as I wanted the sweeter tasting ones. I think I will try the Adzuki ones first.

dinahsmum
11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
You can make a lovely 'cottage pie' with cooked aduki beans. (You'd never guess I was veggie for years would you? :) )
Look up 'Red Dragon Pie' (or maybe I will. Low GI, very cheap and the kids love it too!)

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I know that Gillian McKeith is a great fan of aduki beans ;)

Oh well they are soaking in the jam jar :)

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Red Dragon Pie

main recipe menu (http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/recipes.htm)
Ingredients - Serves 4
4oz aduki beans
3lb potatoes
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 or 2 chillies
2 carrots
4oz sliced mushrooms
3 sticks celery
1 red pepper
14oz tin tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato pureé
splash shoyu
salt & pepper
Method

Cook and cool the aduki beans.
Cook and mash the potatoes.
Chop the onion, crush the garlic, chop the chillies, then fry together in a little oil until soft.
Dice the carrot and red pepper, chop the celery, then add to the onions and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Slice the mushrooms, add to the pan, and fry until soft.
Pureé the tomatoes and add to the pan along with the tomato pureé and shoyu, season well.
Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish and top with the mashed potato.
Sprinkle with paprika and cook for 45 minutes at gas mark 7.

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
For me I would just change the potato to sweet potato and I would be a happy bunny :)

dinahsmum
11-04-2006, 04:59 PM
That's the one. Expect this is similar

4 oz aduki beans soaked over night
1tbl sp. Vegetable oil
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled & chopped
2 sticks of celery, cut into chunks
2tbl sp soy sauce
2tbl sp tomato puree (I use 1tbl sp sun dried tomato 1 tbl sp tomato puree)
1tsp mixed herbs or oregano
salt & pepper
1lb potatoes
1oz margarine or butter
1-2oz grated cheddar cheese
Method
· Drain aduki beans then simmer in 2pints of water for 50 min (or pressure cook for 15 mins).
· Drain, reserving stock
· Take a large pan, fry onions for 5 mins in oil
· Add carrots and cook for a further 3 mins.
· Add cooked beans
· Mix in soy sauce, tomato puree and herbs with reserved stock
· Pour this over the bean and vegetable mixture.
· Simmer for 20 mins so that the flavours are well blended.
· Season to taste
Meanwhile, boil the potatoes and mash them with the margarine/butter (mix in some of the cheese if you want).
Put the bean mixture into a casserole dish, spread the mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle on remainder of cheese. Bake in the oven until the potato is crisp golden brown.

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 05:01 PM
hmmm that does sound good!!! I will give it a go sometime...thank you!

Donna
11-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I didnt know what it meant, so I didnt post anything!!! Didnt want to appear ignorant!!

Thought maybe it was seeds for Brussel Sprouts!!!

Mags
11-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I didnt know what it meant, so I didnt post anything!!! Didnt want to appear ignorant!!

Thought maybe it was seeds for Brussel Sprouts!!! Shhhhhhhhh I thought it was something to do with Brussels as well Donna! :oops::oops::oops:

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Shhhhhhhhh I thought it was something to do with Brussels as well Donna! :oops::oops::oops:

Arnt we daft Mags:-D :-D

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 06:03 PM
lol you can use brussel sprout seeds as sprouting seeds ;) lol

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Not so daft after all, are we Mags!!! :-)

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 06:07 PM
;) see..........

Mags
11-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Not so daft after all, are we Mags!!! :-)
Let's give ourselves a pat on the back Donna......we were almost there! :-D

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Let's give ourselves a pat on the back Donna......we were almost there! :-D

I say we WERE there Mags = we knew cos we clever too:-D

Mags
11-04-2006, 06:17 PM
I say we WERE there Mags = we knew cos we clever too:-D
We just didn't want to let on.....give the others a chance to guess!!!:-D

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:19 PM
We just didn't want to let on.....give the others a chance to guess!!!:-D

Thats it - exactly :-D

EmmaG
11-04-2006, 06:25 PM
lol at you two!!!!

dandysmom
13-04-2006, 03:00 AM
I've been sprouting mung bean seeds for years; all you need is a jam jar or something similar & some cheesecloth over it for drainage. Rinse daily. Our market sells bean sprouts but they really look sort of awful...sort of dried out & too big....not nice & tender like fresh ones from home. Radish seeds make nice sprouts, also beets & fenugreek (they have a slight curry flavor!) Emma, keep us posted how they're doing!! T & M catalogue has a nice selection of sprouting seeds.:D

EmmaG
13-04-2006, 08:05 AM
dandysmom they have started to sprout!!!!!!! lol I am washing them in the morning and before I go to bed, they are nice juicy little seeds from T & M (also got two free packets of seed as I purchase 4 packets of seed - chili, pepper, and two lots of sprouting seeds :) )

EmmaG
13-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Well just found another jam jar and I have put some mung beans in there :)

dandysmom
13-04-2006, 11:29 PM
dandysmom they have started to sprout!!!!!!! lol I am washing them in the morning and before I go to bed, they are nice juicy little seeds from T & M (also got two free packets of seed as I purchase 4 packets of seed - chili, pepper, and two lots of sprouting seeds :) )
They're so quick, aren't they! I tend to rinse mine whenever I pass the sink...that's where my jar "lives" & it is over a radiator so always warm!. So glad you are trying this!:D Enjoy!!!:D

EmmaG
14-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Yes very quick dandysmon :) I have two jam jars in my airing cupboard now!! hopefully by Monday I will be eating these :)

Donna
14-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Yes very quick dandysmon :) I have two jam jars in my airing cupboard now!! hopefully by Monday I will be eating these :)

Eating jam jars????? Bit crunchy Emma!! :-D

EmmaG
14-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey you know how odd I am Donna ;)