PDA

View Full Version : Types of purring.

Snoof
10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Ninja's still working on finding his voice - sometimes in the mornings, he'll come up to me and yap :shock: :lol: Very cute - but I've only rarely heard him do a "regular" meow.

Until now, he purred lots, but it was a breathy, throaty type of purr that took a lot of hard listening to hear. Just now I went out and stroked him very slowly in his favourite way (kind of fuss with my fingers all the way down from the scruff of his neck to the base of his tail), and suddenly he's like a tiny little engine :shock:

I don't know what it means - he certainly didn't use his voice at all until the fall of last year, so maybe he just needed to get back into it? But I'm so chuffed either way :-D

He's now coming into the kitchen to see Matt, too, and also our friend Mark who's here lots and who's Neko's and Hobbes' human (although they live with his ex).

Moli
10-04-2006, 08:05 PM
All 4 of mine have different purrs! They all talk differently too, I can tell by the yowl which one it is....

Fran
10-04-2006, 08:08 PM
All 4 of mine have different purrs! They all talk differently too, I can tell by the yowl which one it is....

Same here Moli.

dandysmom
10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I could always tell mine apart both by purrs & voice. Dandy my little Singapura had a weird meow...sounded rusty!! And when he was going to be bad, purred VERY loudly..a dead giveaway! I'm so glad Ninja's coming along so well!!:D

dinahsmum
10-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I had a cat (Sissons) who did the 'I can't feel pain' purr at the vets. Do you know what I mean? I think it's quite normal for some cats to use this kind of 'mind over matter'

Snoof
10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
I had a cat (Sissons) who did the 'I can't feel pain' purr at the vets. Do you know what I mean? I think it's quite normal for some cats to use this kind of 'mind over matter'

I know what you mean. When Ninja's scared, though, the only sound he makes is that of his mouth opening :shock:

He's never bitten anyone except for the housemate, who had it coming, though...

Kazz
10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Now do you know I have no idea what sound or movement my twomake when they are scared or uneasy - maybe they never have been?

Back to purrs, Oscar sounds like a rusty old tractor trying to start up. He rarely purred usually only when he was with me on his own or with Cleo. :roll: He's so talkative you can't stop him.

Cleo talks and purrs to anyone and for any reason.:roll: She is such a friendly soul. Always has been.

Over the years they have found new ranges of purrs, miaows, yowdels etc maybe age bring the new range.:?

You are doing so well with Ninja honestly sounds like you are over the worst, and hopefully its all plain sailing from now on.

Karen

random
10-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Me too, and the dogs I can tell who it is by the bark, ppl think it's amazing but you just get to know your animals :-D

With the dogs I can also tell who it is by the poo :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol: :smt043

Moli
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Me too, and the dogs I can tell who it is by the bark, ppl think it's amazing but you just get to know your animals :-D

With the dogs I can also tell who it is by the poo :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol: :smt043How the heck can you tell by that:shock:

CathyW
10-04-2006, 09:35 PM
ronnies very vocal he has a loud yowl sounds like hes saying owl and wales??? reggie has the loudest purr ive ever known, normally early hours of the morning he uses that on me :lol:

Mags
10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Cassie has a low engine purr and a high pitched miaow.......:lol:

Sweet
10-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I will have to work out Violets and Mau Mau's x

Snoof
10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
You are doing so well with Ninja honestly sounds like you are over the worst, and hopefully its all plain sailing from now on.

I think you're absolutely right. While we have a lot of stuff left to work on, it's more kind of embroidering on the things we've established already. And his trust is so much better now :-)

I used to be able to pick my dog's bark out of a lineup. Late one night, my father took her for a walk in the park. Now this dog was a story similar to Ninja's - we got her when she was a year old, and she'd been abused and neglected beforehand (even though the people we got her from paid about £1,000 for her :shock:). Problem was, she was scared of people she didn't know and dead scared of other dogs.

A Great Dane tried to give her a friendly sniff, and before my father knew what was happening she'd torn the lead out of his hand and legged it at high speed.

We were all sitting in the lounge (my Mum, my brother and I - and the cat) watching TV when a dog barked outside. "Oh," I said, "That's our dog, I'll go let her in".

My Mum told me not to be silly, our dog was off with my dad... So I opened the front door and in came our dog.

An hour later my father came home, apologising and saying he'd lost the dog and had been looking for her for the past hour and a half :lol: I remember my Mum asked me how I'd known it was our dog, and I was puzzled - I was about 13 at the time and it had not occurred to me that some people might not know their dog's bark from any other dog's bark :lol:

Couldn't pick any of my previous cats' meows out of a lineup though, except for Dishrag's - he talked all the time, provided you talked back!

random
11-04-2006, 12:19 PM
How the heck can you tell by that:shock:

You really don't want me to explain do you :shock: :lol:

(I have a small, medium and large dog....)

random
11-04-2006, 12:20 PM

With the dogs I can also tell who it is by the poo :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol: :smt043

It's handy cuz if one poo's in the flower bed I can bollik the right dog :-D :smt043 :shock:

Julie84
11-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Can't say I have ever given it much thought before but I can tell the difference between Thomas' and Murphy's purrs and also, to a certain extent, understand their talking. Thomas is the most vocal and will often just talk to me because he feels like it but I can normally tell if it's a hungry cry, scared/upset cry or a let me through this locked door cry! :lol:

logoes
11-04-2006, 03:53 PM
The one certain noise of India's which there is no mistaking is the 'I'm going to use my litter tray' and having used it the race back through the kitchen with the same "yoooow, I've used it "!!, I'm still learning her 'talk', it is quite different from any of our other cats, so the next question is do cats imitate the noises their owners make ?? Is India talking in the way that she heard her previous owner talk ? After all we are told that birds have regional accents. Logoes.

carternm31
11-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Jaffa makes a 'hannibal' noise and shudders her jaw whenever she see's a bird and shes behind a window...

Its scarey :shock:

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Jaffa makes a 'hannibal' noise and shudders her jaw whenever she see's a bird and shes behind a window...

Its scarey :shock:

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Donna
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Chloe has the standard factory fitted purr and miaow, whereas Misty obviously fell off the assembly line and ended up with a heavy tractor purr but no miaow. She talks to you instead and makes noises in her throad like hmmmmmmm!!! :-)