PDA

View Full Version : Any Bengals Owners

MBll
10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
I dont know much info on the bengals but have read a post on another site stating if bengals are let out they will kill anything up to their own size...is this true?

Mags
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
I think this is rubbish!!

MBll
10-04-2006, 09:56 AM
This iswhat the post says???

looking for a bengal, please think about it DO NOT BUY half bengal, bengal let loose, non registered, a person not registered to sell them. All i ask is you read up on them, they are a breed that will if let out kill anything up to their own size,as they do this for fun. are like a dog in a cats body. they need training. am very worried as i have seen many for sale and they are lovely pets if you know how to look after. they are perfect companions. please read this and think what you may be seeing.

Fran
10-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I haven't heard anything like this MBll :?

yola
10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I've not heard about this! I think we do have some Bengal owners (Az for one . . . ) and there's also a Bengal breed rescuer here sometimes.

I have to say, that looking at the way that excerpt is written (barely literate), I would have concerns over the integrity of the statements within it.

Sweet
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I know I am a new Cat/Kitten Mum - but never heard of this along the grapevine x

Mags
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
I've not heard about this! I think we do have some Bengal owners (Az for one . . . ) and there's also a Bengal breed rescuer here sometimes.

I have to say, that looking at the way that excerpt is written (barely literate), I would have concerns over the integrity of the statements within it. Jac also has a Bengal and a Bengal cross........

Moli
10-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Personally think it a load of tosh!!!

Julie84
10-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Personally think it a load of tosh!!!

I second that.

Looking at the quote, much of it could be misinterpreted from statements that could apply to all cats. Many cats will kill smaller animals (and I suppose potentially up to their own size) and often for fun - it doesn't make Bengals ruthless killers, it is a natural cat instinct.:roll:

I think many people have noted similarities between cats and dogs. I think, as is the case with nearly all animals, you get out of them what you put in. People who spend no time on/with their animals are never going to enjoy them as much as someone who takes great pleasure in their companions and their wellbeing.

All cats need training, some more than others, and many kittens are taught by their mothers. I have had to teach my boys that the sofa isn't theirs to scratch but that they do what they like to their furniture and toys. They have also learnt to sit and wait patiently at their set meal times for their food.

Perhaps someone has taken these sentiments and misinterpreted them to think that it is only Bengals and they are much more extreme?

Booktigger
10-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Don't know much about Bengals, but maybe early generation ones can? I would assume that any F4 ones are more domesticated and would be like normal moggies when it comes to hunting.

Julie84
10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Don't know much about Bengals, but maybe early generation ones can? I would assume that any F4 ones are more domesticated and would be like normal moggies when it comes to hunting.

But they have to be at least F4 to be called Bengals otherwise they are just crosses. :?

Booktigger
10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I Thought all generations were Bengals, as that is how the breed started??

Julie84
10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
It is my understanding that Bengals are, by definition, at least F4 (four generations from wild), and no different to domestic cats. The F1-F3 are ALCxdomestic crosses which form the foundation of the Bengal breed and I suppose may have more 'wild' traits potentially. :? But of course, I may be wrong! :oops: And as a completely aside point, surely a good reputable breeder would breed away from undesirable traits such as those mentioned?

EmmaG
10-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Not sure I believe that, although my cat Arthur did get into a fight with a local Bengal cat, and I must say I have seen cats fight before but they were really fighting, my OH had to separate them in the end, as I was concerned what would happen otherwise.

Snoof
10-04-2006, 07:55 PM
People who spend no time on/with their animals are never going to enjoy them as much as someone who takes great pleasure in their companions and their wellbeing.

I'm kind of ashamed :oops: I read this five times before I realised what you meant by "spending time on their animals" :oops: I was thinking of a really big dog and someone riding it :lol:

Cats are cats. I always :roll: at people who say cats aren't social animals. Last time someone told me theirs certainly wasn't I spent half an hour petting her tortie girl. I was never able to spend a single moment in her house after that without Where Kitty? hanging onto my limbs and trying to climb on me. We slept there quite a few times and every time she tried to keep me from sleeping by sitting on my head (:lol:) and purring like a thing possessed until I'd finally untangle her from my hair, put her in a better spot and stroke her until I fell asleep.

Some cats don't really go for the sociable angle, sure (although I've yet to meet one - even Ninja is turning out to be a right little tart!). But the thing with cats is that you can't say, "Cats do this" and "Cats would never do this" and "Cats behave in such and such way towards humans".

I don't see why you'd want to. They'd be a mite boring if they were all the same! And I have known one who regularly killed rabbits or ducks and brought them home.

Jac
11-04-2006, 07:07 PM
OMG what a load of tosh!!!!!!!!

I have one Bengal who was absoulutly petrified of even someone coming into the house never mind going out. My other cat is half Bengal and a bigger sook you would never meet!!!!
My full Bengal is about the same now. Both go out but dont leave the garden.
They wind the dog up, in play. Killers, Yeh right. Tosh, Tosh Tosh

Dazzle
12-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I own a bengal and he is the softest cat in the world. No matter how much the children annoy him he has never ever scratched or bitten anyone. He has brought back a bird and a couple of rats but thats normal for a cat.

Jac
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
ditto Dazzle. Me thinks utter Tosh. Did I tell you I thought it was a load of Tosh per chance????

Kim
12-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Rubbish I would say too. Didn't think they were any different from any other cat. They all have their own personalities of course!

Jac
13-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe this is just a winde up:lol: :lol: :lol: