PDA

View Full Version : Bullying, how to stop?

samwise
08-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I have 2 cats (both rescue from kittens). Frankie (deaf, white, female) is older by 1 year and seems to be bullying Sammy (castrated at 1 year, male). Sammy was a farm cat and has always been a mainly outside cat, but recently whenever he comes in Frankie jumps on him and he runs out again :( . They recently had a cattery stay and the lady had to put them in separate pens as Frankie was bullying! It does not seem to be major fighting, just bullying. It is gradually getting worse and I am worried Frankie will drive Sammy away.
Any tips welcome! Poor old Sammy is becoming quite nervy and jumpy :shock: :? .

EmmaG
08-04-2006, 08:47 PM
hmm difficult one, but I would suggest you purchase one of Vicky Halls' cat books, I have got cat detective and cat confidential, where she addresses this sort of behaviour. From what I have read in her books it might be a good idea to get them playing together, therefore building up a bit of bond between both cats and also getting rid of some of Frankies energy.

If you want to you can borrow one of these books from me as long as you post them back once read ;)

Donna
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I worry about my two from time to time, but have tried to ignore their spats. Usually Misty seems the dominant one, but recently I have been watching more closely and it is Chloe that starts things by pouncing on Misty all the time. She been doing it tonight. So think it equals out in the end.

Chickadeedeedee
10-04-2006, 03:18 AM
Two of my boys have issues with each other too. :roll: I have used the pheromone spray Feliway about once a week with tremendous success.

The manufacturer suggests using the spray several times a day and every day. I find that a spray here and there once a week keeps everyone civilized. A much nice alternative, I think, than having to give one or both some kind of medication, although sometimes it is necessary. Usually giving one or both kitties medicine is just temporary and once the medicine is weaned down and then stopped the issues the cats had seem to be resolved.

I found this link that helps explain the Feliway product.

http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm

C3D