PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat prefer being stroked, or eating?

Snoof
07-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I always assumed cats valued food over human contact. I used Ninja's mealtimes (which are reasonably stable) to bond with him a little in a "Ninja comes home around these times because there will be wet food" way (prior to that he'd been dry food only because he wasn't sociable at all and I didn't want his food going manky or another cat coming in to steal it).

Then he started coming in when he noticed me going for his food and demanding petting (a meowing cat is hard to resist!).

So now... He will not eat unless he's had a serious amount of cuddles first! And if I come into the kitchen while he's eating he'll sometimes stop eating and come purring into the kitchen for more petting!

I told him he's a traitor to his blood but that I don't mind :lol:

Sweet
07-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I think Violet loves both - she will let me cuddle whenever I want even if she is eating x

Mags
07-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I would say Cassie definately prefers eating!!!:lol:

Fran
07-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Mine will stop eating and enjoy a cuddle :cool: Even Sylvester will stop eating to have a cuddle! :D

Snoof
08-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Ninja does let me stroke him while he eats, but it was slow going. I think someone used food to lure him and catch him at some point (maybe to be able to take him into the rescue) and I know Matt's ex (who lived here when Matt got Ninja) used to stake out his foodbowl when he'd just gotten here (they broke up a couple of weeks later).

So I had to take it really slowly as a step in building trust, and he will allow it now - only he's also decided he needs to stalk me rather than eat until he's had his fill of cuddles or I've disappeared!

dandysmom
08-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Can't really answer that; depends on the cat, the time of day & how long it has been since he/she last ate...mine have always focused on food at feeding time; & let me know when they are in the mood for a good cuddle...Leia rolls over on her back & waves paws when she wants loving or will come up & do serious head butts. Patches is elderly & arthritic, she is a lap cat & sits on me when she wants a little loving.

Donna
08-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Chloe not bothered much about cuddles or eating. Does both when SHE wants to only.

Misty loves eating and loves cuddles too - but not so much picking up. She loves the attention!

JemBob
08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
oscar likes having cuddles while he eats lol likes having his back stroked lol

Julie84
08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Since I have started having set meal times (rather than letting them free feed) nothing will come between them and their food and they get quite annoyed if anyone tries to interfere while they are eating. They do love their cuddles though. Thomas will even cuddle your hand to ensure you keep stroking him! :smt049