PDA

View Full Version : What should I feed to aid weight gain?

moggymommy
06-04-2006, 12:15 PM
My kitten has always been quite small despite being given ample amounts of food, I have my doubts that she was old enough to leave her mother when we got her, but if I hadnt taken her she would've gone to someone else anyway so no point badmouthing her 'grandparents' now :roll:
When she was still very young my dad always felt the need to comment on how she didnt really seem to be thriving, but its only since I've seen my friends younger kittens overtake her quite alot in size I'm beginning to worry.

She isnt a fussy eater but she doesnt really eat very much, and she never asks to be fed, she never has :(

I am going to take her to the vet for a check up next week when the kids have gone back to school, but what can I try feeding her in the meantime? something that will kick start her to grow a bit and make her actually enjoy her food??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Viv

CJK
06-04-2006, 12:29 PM
When I got my persian she was underweight, and i was told to feed her a good quality food, recommended royal canin. BUt I think you're best bet is call or speak to your vets about it, they'll give you better advice. I cant rememebr the name now but there is a liquid food you can get in a can, BUT it is expensive and I persoanlly wouldnt use anything like that without my vet suggesting it.

hope she is ok and you can sort soemthing out

Fran
06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
I think I might be inclined to get the vet to check her over sooner rather than later, just to rule out any possibilities of medical reasons why she is failing to thrive. Of course your vet will also be able to advise you re feeding too. Do you feed a wet or dry diet? and are you still feeding kitten food to her?

moggymommy
06-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks, I've just had a quick google for royal canin, I dont know if I'll be able to buy it locally. I might pop into the vets this afternoon this afternoon to make an appt and see if they sell it, they might even have a sample, although I seem to think they favour hills science plan in there :roll:

Did your cat eat it up? My main concern is that she has food, wet and dry, down for her but she isnt interested.

I'm going off out to the shops to see what goodies I can come up with :D

Donna
06-04-2006, 02:54 PM
MY two cats are the same age.

Misty eats and cries for food and constantly badgers you when you are eating your dinner, so no worries with her except eating too much, but on the other hand....

Chloe hardly eats anything, doesnt seem that bothered by food and I have tried her on wet food and dry food. All different brands but nothing makes no difference.

Her last checkup was January and my vet said that some cats are just small so accept it.

Sweet
06-04-2006, 05:53 PM
When I had Violet she was bearly 4 weeks old and the Vet warned me she may not make it.

Violet is now nearly 8 months old and although I think still small compaired to other kittens near by, she is happy and loveable and I feed her Hills like the Vet said too. This is dry food x

moggymommy
18-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Just a wee update :)
While I've been waiting for the kids to go back to school I changed the way I was feeding Angel, I went back to giving her small amounts more often throughout the day and its made a huge difference :D I can already see changes in her coat and she is deffinitly putting on weight already, I'm so pleased!!
I think I must've just been putting too much down for her and it was putting her off, I was always throwing food away but now I just give her a little at a time and she cleans her bowl :D

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 02:58 AM
That's a good observation!! I think some cats like to graze little amounts throughout the day rather than be faced with a full plate...my Sultan liked to eat a bit & then leave the rest for later in the day...until Misty came, who had been a little lost stray & whose motto was "Food!! I remember when there was NO FOOD!! If you find food, eat it!! " Sultan stopped leaving some for later, as there was...no later. I'm glad she's eating better & putting on a little weight. And some cats will always be little, skinny cats no matter how well they're fed...Patches has been a skinny cat for the 18 1/2 years I've had her...eats well, good health, but just a small skinny cat! Guess it's just metabolism...reminds me of friends who can eat everything in sight & NEVER get fat ...unlike me....:roll: :-D :-D

Booktigger
28-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Molly is like that, if you give her a full bowl of biscuits at suppertime, she will leave half of it, but 5 mins later will pester for more, yet if I split it into 4 small servings, she eats it all up then asks for more. She is a tiny cat, but she has had full blood tests and her fur is shiny so she must just be one of those cats - a few of my females have been really tiny actually.