PDA

View Full Version : Variation in catfood.

Snoof
05-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Do you provide lots of variation in your cats' food? I mean flavour-wise. I just spent a few minutes arranging Ninja's food so, if I work from the front of the box backwards, he'll never eat the same flavour wetfood twice in a row. I also obsessively make sure I never buy the same flavour dryfood twice in a row.

It's just occurred to me that I might just be anthropomorphising again :lol:

Donna
05-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I have always wondered whether they need variation. I read somewhere that cats cant live on fish food alone, so buy the meat pouches which they are not so keen on...just so they have variety.

I have two cats and buy a box of 12 pouches - three of each flavours. I always give them the same food but always have one pouch left over!!!

Oh its all so confusing!!!

logoes
05-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm still tryi ng to find something that India will eat twice in a row. The birds are delighted with their varied diet :-). All the things our other cats would shout for - roast chicken- beef- stews- fish, all competely ignored by India, strictly cat food only. My son's siamese used to love chinese takeaway, I haven't tried India on that yet !!! Some days I think I've finally cracked the problem, but no, another lot goes out for the birds - Expensive bird food !!! Logoes

Donna
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I always have to chuck half of the food away. They never eat a whole bowl. Nothing seems to entice them greatly!

Dont mind it with Misty as she wont go hungry as she is a bit of a gannet, but Chloe is so small and thin - keep trying to fatten her up, but to no avail...

candyshandy
05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
The boys have the same dried food each day. Foofoo has whichever pouch comes to hand in the morning - the only one she doesn't think much of is Salmon. Oscar (Mums cat) also doesn't like that flavour, so we now have quite a few which we are giving to Dawn. I'm sure she'll have one cat that likes that flavour :shock:

CJK
05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I am SOOOOO glad I am not the only "nutter" as my ryan callsme.
This week alone i ahve got the cats:

lamb n beef falvour food
chicken and turkey
ocean fish n rice

(that's just dry)
and a variation of wet foods, all lined up ready to pick the right can out of the cupboard on the right day of the week.

Also mentally I cant have less than 4 cans of cat food in the cupbaord. Dont ask me why, could be something to do with the OCD i used to have ( huby says still have touch of).
All cat food cans are stacked according to flavour and Best before date.
All biscuits are in seal tight containers and I never have less than 3 falvours of that.

well, would YOU like the same dinner everyday forever? ok you could live off it, but i think variety is the spice of life, Or does that motto only work with regards to men???

Fran
05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Mine are not majorly fussy and I often give them the same flavour several days in a row. There are certain varieties and types they do not like though and I avoid buying those....

Snoof
05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I have always wondered whether they need variation. I read somewhere that cats cant live on fish food alone, so buy the meat pouches which they are not so keen on...just so they have variety.

Actually, I buy maybe one box of the fish for every 2 or 3 boxes of meat I buy. I do buy them, but Ninja doesn't really like them. He likes the meat ones much more. So I compromise by buying them every 2 or 3 boxes, so he does get the nutrients from the fish, but most of the time he gets meat. I think it's a matter of texture - the meat ones are always the moistest, loosest ones. The fish ones tend to clump more, and even if you break it up with a fork there's still going to be a difference in texture.

He does finish his entire pouch every time, twice a day. Not always in the same go - but within 3 hours or so of getting it every single scrap will be gone, and usually it'll be within 20 minutes or so of being fed.

I guess it's ok given he's obviously healthy and happy, but when I stopped and thought about the fact that I've devised a system to make absolutely sure he never gets the same thing twice in a row, I did think "Er, hang on, what?" for a minute :lol:

smudgley
05-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Mine have a bowl of good quality dry food.
They eat it or go without :shock:
Luckily they love it :cool:

Mags
05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Mine have a bowl of good quality dry food.
They eat it or go without :shock:
Luckily they love it :cool:
Ooh you're a hard woman Smudgley!!!:lol:;)

smudgley
05-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Ooh you're a hard woman Smudgley!!!:lol:;)

I know.:lol:

Booktigger
07-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I have always had guesswork with what kind of food mine woudl like that day, never mind flavour!! Ginger has the same flavour biscuits, if I can get smaller bags of James WEllbeloved I might get him a different flavour. Molly and PEbbles have a mixture of chicken and salmon Hi-Life and Hills indoor (using up free samples they wont eat on its own). Wet food wise, I do rotate so they get a different flavour, don't like them eating the same flavour all the time.

logoes
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Before I collected India from the rescue I phoned and asked what she had been fed on - James Wellbeloved, so that is what I bought for her. It had obviously been O.K. while she was in "prison" but she wanted proper food now that she had been rescued. Remembering that she hasn't any teeth I got a variety of meaty foods, she finally settled on Iams (expensive cat) but still likes her dried food, I've no idea how she manages to bite it without teeth but she does seem to manage alright. But even with the Iams it has to be a different flavour each meal and I finish up with a row of half used packets in the fridge. She will also complain that the food still down that she didn't finish is now not fit to be eaten and she needs 'fresh', same goes for the Whiskers milk. I think that someone really spoilt her rotten before she came to us - and it seems that I am carrying on the same way :D Logoes

Snoof
07-04-2006, 09:31 PM
:lol: Logoes. Strange how none of us mind being pushed around by felines :lol:

dandysmom
10-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Before I collected India from the rescue I phoned and asked what she had been fed on - James Wellbeloved, so that is what I bought for her. It had obviously been O.K. while she was in "prison" but she wanted proper food now that she had been rescued. Remembering that she hasn't any teeth I got a variety of meaty foods, she finally settled on Iams (expensive cat) but still likes her dried food, I've no idea how she manages to bite it without teeth but she does seem to manage alright. But even with the Iams it has to be a different flavour each meal and I finish up with a row of half used packets in the fridge. She will also complain that the food still down that she didn't finish is now not fit to be eaten and she needs 'fresh', same goes for the Whiskers milk. I think that someone really spoilt her rotten before she came to us - and it seems that I am carrying on the same way :D Logoes
This astonishes me with Patches; she has only a few teeth left, but wants her dry food!! She & Leia are pretty picky;sometimes they want beef flavor, sometimes tender liver or chopped grill (all moist); sometimes will eat cod, sole & shrimp & then the next time I put it down, spurn it. CATS!!!