PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't do it!

JemBob
04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Well it was nice today and oscar was meowing at the back door :roll: i couldnt help it!.......

I let him out!!!!!!!!!

He went around the garden........

Theres a road next to us its not the main road...but people speed up there all the time :roll: ...........

anyways am doing the ironing thinking off this then I thought of all the bad things i have been hearing about people killing cats.

Then i went to the shop and on the way back saw some kids chasing a cat around and scaring it I thought it was oscar and ran towards them....but it wasnt oscar...it was the ladys down the road (second time this has happened!) I told them to leave it and it ran off home...

I ran home and called oscar he came back and i brought him in......

I really don't wanna let him out cause Of all the reasons above, and it would destory me if something happened to him!

Do u think

A) am going nuts or
B) am not

and do u think i should just get him a lead?

random
04-04-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm getting Kiara a harness and lead, there's noway she is going to be let out round here on her own, if someone found her.....:shock: I just don't feel safe.

Tabs goes out but she would never let a stranger near her, altho I am trying to keep her in more often now she's getting older.

Moli
04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I have just started letting mine out for a short while each day, since we moved they haven't been out yet, like you I panicked, but they went out, as soon as I rattled the catnip tin in they all came...Think we worry too much...None of my 4 are keen on strangers...

JemBob
04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
oscar is to nice to hate strangers I dont trust the people or kids around here think am just going to get him a lead so he can walk around outside for a while....am always warning people if they go outside to make sure oscar hasnt escaped lmaoooo

candyshandy
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm quite lucky because I was able to catproof the garden last year otherwise they wouldn't go out. As it is they only go out in the summer because my garden resembles a bog at any other time :? :roll:

Moli
04-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I am lucky too, I live in the country, so really my lot are safe from traffic etc...

Snoof
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Ninja won't let strangers near him (in fact, he won't let most known people near him and even Matt can't get him to do nearly as much as I can). He also legs it if something comes near him, and if something makes a loud noise.

While I expect he'll keep getting better and maybe even become properly sociable with me and hopefully with people he sees a lot, I don't think he'll ever lose his fear of strangers. Even as he makes leaps and bounds with me, he moves with each person at his and their own pace and has still only let one person near him when not in his safe place - and I suspect only because I was there as his safety net.

I worry sometimes that something's happened to him, but given how skittish he is it's not really a realistic fear. And, for Ninja at least, the freedom is incredibly important to his happiness. For myself as for others, while a long and happy life would be the best, I would much prefer a short and happy life to a long and miserable one... And Ninja is miserable when he doesn't have the freedom to go out and come in at his own rate and on his own schedule.

I don't think you're going batty, and I think your concerns are valid. But I would consider safety-fencing the yard so Oscar can't get out, if I were you. It would give him some autonomy whilst giving you peace of mind.

dandysmom
05-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Living on a busy street in the City, I have leash-trained most of my cats & they walked very well & enjoyed their outings; would love to let them run free...however, my neighbor who has let hers do so, lost one to a speeding car; although devastated, she still let them out and Minguette was also killed the same way....Kate is now outdoors only under supervision...I've said that it only takes a second for the cat to see a bird or squirrel on the other side of the street & dash in front of a car.....it can happen so fast....:cry: If I lived in the country, would probably do it.....

CJK
05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
I dont think youre GOING nuts jem, i think you went nuts a long long long time ago :-P
only joking!
I was worried silly when i first let the mogs out, but twix wont let anyone near him, and if oatmeal gets in a scrap with other cats twix chases them off!
Am getting pF and darcy a harness today if i can find one in bedford shops (taking kids to chinese as treat and do some shopping)

so if i get one will let you know how they get along.

My hubby used to play like crazy with twix, getting twix to attack his hands, rubbing his belly to make him batt him, hunting toy mice etc. At the time I said he was silly cos it would make twix a bit of a monkey, but now I am glad he did, cos twix dont half defend himself and I dont worry about him at all. Oatmeal was my boy and molliecoddled and hugges and pampered, needless to say he a huge softie now.

I saw some kids chasing poogelly bear (oatmeal) with a stick once, must admit i swore at them! "you f******* hit my cat and I'll hit you little g**s back"

they said they were just playing!!!!! BUT they havent been seen chasing any cats since. Little sods around ehre though the kids are. i entirely blame the parents! Too little respect for animals these days, too litle respect for anything from most kids.

Cant wait to cat proof my garden, but until then, harnes and leads for the posh cats.

janey83
05-04-2006, 07:40 AM
You are not nuts! But try him on a lead!
When tigger had his accident we stuck a pole in the middle of the garden with string attached to it then his lead at the end n just clip him on to it when he's at the back door, then you know he is safe n still got the hole garden to walk around.

Fran
05-04-2006, 08:20 AM
It is such a worry when they are out. It has to be a personal decision whether you allow them out or not. I personally believe that they are entitled to their freedom so do allow mine out. They are in at night, however...

Luke
05-04-2006, 08:42 AM
It is such a worry when they are out. It has to be a personal decision whether you allow them out or not. I personally believe that they are entitled to their freedom so do allow mine out. They are in at night, however... I have very close values too Fran's on this one...i remember being about three and loosing one of the cats too a RTA and wanting too keep the others in..and doing all i could too do so..until my parents sat me down one day and explained too me
"Cats are the freest of all domestic creatures and if the truth be known they aren't domesticated completley!. They like doing their own thing and having their own territory and its best for them too live a life which they enjoy regardless of how long it may be.."

TBH i love my girlies too pieces and would be devestated if anything happened too them..but i did the whole house cat thing with Clementine when she was younger..and what happened? She got out one day..didnt have any outside sense and ended up getting lost!
Its all down to personal preference i suppose..i dont have to worry in the respects of people getting close as ive seen my two scarper as soon as they see anyone:lol::lol:

JemBob
05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I dont think youre GOING nuts jem, i think you went nuts a long long long time ago :razz:
only joking!

so true lol well been looking over oscar med files I got and other files the home give me and it says in BIG BOLD LETTERS

INDOOR CAT ONLY! :shock: so think i'll just get a lead for him