PDA

View Full Version : Do I get another dog ?

logoes
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm after advice again. I had my old dog put to sleep a week before I got India and really had no intention of getting another - although I had had dogs since I was 9 yrs old. Now I had a check up at the Doctors today and complained about my arthritis and he said I should really consider getting another dog so that I would get more exercise. I must be honest and say I'd love another dog but how does one go about introducing a dog to a cat? In my home its always been the other way around, dogs always in the house, cats arrive and are accepted. I did ask at the Rescue centre when I collected India if they thought she was O.K. with dogs and they said yes, but before I consider anything further I'd like to hear from any of you who have taken in a dog where the cat(s) are already established - I couldn't bear to bring a dog home and then have to return it to the kennels Logoes.

Kazz
04-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi

Am I right in assuming that you would not be looking for a puppy but either a young adult or adult dog? if so and from a rescue loads of rescues these day will tell you if your "chosen" dog is cat friendly - and I would say easier to introduce a dog to a cat than vice versa. And I think its an excellent idea I could not be dogless :(

Karen

emma_pen
04-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I think its a great idea, but what I would do is adopt a dog who is already known to be sound with cats. Your best bet would be a rescue society that has its dogs in foster homes rather than kennels. This way, they are already fully assessed in homes with other animals. Do you have any particulars in mind? (Age/Breed/Size) and what area are you in?

Kazz
04-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Have sent you a PM and what sort of breed/size/age/type of dog are you looking for?

dinahsmum
04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Go for it - as the others say, find a dog that is trustworthy with cats and there should be no problem. (Assume you are thinking rescue, as you say dog not puppy? Puppy is double no problem - cat is superior being, cat is already in residence, puppy behaves!:) )
Good luck - keep us informed!

Kim
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi there, we lost our wonderful lurcher Ben is December and darling greyhound Daisy in February We hated being dog-less and so looked out for a 'cat friendly' dog with the various greyhound rescues. 3 weeks ago we got Caleb a greyhound who is approx 10 months old. He was fostered for 3 weeks and his fosterers had cats so we knew he was okay with them. I have to admit that it hasn't been easy. He wants to play with the cats and although I know he won't hurt them, they don't realise this and were scared of him to begin with. They are gradually 'coming around' but I did feel guilty bringing in this bouncy dog after 2 docile hounds. I thought I was ready for another dog, but didn't realise I was still grieving badly for Daisy & Ben and it is taking time to bond with Caleb. Sorry to be negative, things are definitely improving and there is no way that we would give Caleb up. All I can say is make sure you get as much information as possible and meet the dog a few times first to be sure he/she is the dog for you. While we are out we keep Caleb separate from the cats so they can have peace and quiet and he will steal their food! Good luck!

Fran
04-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Go for it!! No house should be without at least 1 dog ;) I personally think a puppy would be easier to introduce than an adult dog. But if you can find an older dog that has lived with cats there should be no problem....good luck!!

mishmunnypenny
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I say go for it too!

I lost my old dog last year, and like Kim I couldnt bear being dogless, so we went and found ourselves someone who needed a home. Meggie arrived three weeks later, and, as far as we know, had never lived with cats. The Dogs Trust put her in a room with one to see what she would do and she just ignored it. I won't say it was easy, and what we do is frowned upon by others, but we just let them get on with it. while we were there the cats and Meggie had full run of the house, but while we were out, she was kept apart. We made sure the cats had "safe" places, ie beds high up, and we put an extra cat flap in the kitchen door, so the cats would never be trapped in a room with her. It took about three weeks, but since then we've not looked back. I really think this would be a good thing to do, cats at the end of the day really can't be bothered to make a fuss over anything and having another dog will be good for both of you :)

Kim, its always so hard losing a beloved pet, and I so understand about not being able to bond with your new dog as quickly as you'd expect. I lost Bob a year ago, I still cry most days, and although for about six months Meggie was "just our dog", as time goes past she has become more and more special. We believe that Bob wanted us to have another dog, and I think yours do too. You have too much love not to have another - Ben and Daisy are looking down on you and smiling.

random
04-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Definately easier to introduce a new pup to cats rather than vice versa, Kiara is having none of it with my 3 muttly hounds :roll: :lol:

I'd go for it if I were you, it will take time but like had been said, some dogs esp from rescues have lived fine with cats, so you shouldn't have a problem!

Good luck! :mrgreen:

Donna
04-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Would like a dog but out a lot at work etc so not thought much about this. Wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Rosie
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
You have got to have patience. Don't be tempted to give up just because the cat runs away from the dog or the dog chases the cat in the first few days. It takes a while for them both to accept that these are family members. I would say from my own experience that it usually takes about 2/3 days for things to settle whereby the dog doesn't need to be kept on a lead. I let my cats have the run of the place and kept the dog on a lead so that they could see the cats moving about. I have had Anatolian Shepherds and a lurcher and a mongrel - they have all settled with the cats.

I don't think that seeing how a dog reacts when it first sees a cat is a good guide line because all mine would have wanted to kill the cat on first viewing:D

logoes
05-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all your replies - what would I do without you ? To be honest I know what I don't want and roughly what I do want if I decide an another dog. I had already scanned the local greyhound rescue lists but there was nothing really suitable. My last dog Harry was a rescue, I think you would have been as horrified as I was when I saw him but I couldn't leave him in the kennels and we had 5 1/2/ happy years inspite of his cancer and heart problems. This time though I would hope for something healthier, and hopefully without hereditary problems. I keep looking at little India, stretched out in the sun on the windowsill, above the radiator ( she loves her warmth) and wonder if it fair to her to disturb her newly acquired life. It will take a lot of careful thought, and if it hadn't been for the doctor I would have tried to ignore my wishes for some more furry feet pattering around the house. Will keep a check on the rescue centre India came from and see if anything turns up. Oh, in answer to those who asked - have had cockers, lab and lab cross, dobermanns, groenendael and german pinscher, also Harry, a Welsh springer, I still grieve for each and every one of them - add to that all the cats and small furries and my life seems to have been dominated by animals - isn't that just great ? Logoes

Kazz
05-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Now I know this may sound odd but if you want the dog walks but don't want to disrupt India how about volunteering for a rescue and walking their dogs?the excercise and none of the trouble ;) they would snap you hand off I imagine.
Also there is "cinnamon" trust I walk for them you can help a person not able to walk their dog themselves usually an older person, They become friends or just keep them at arms length, Your choice. But a nice thing to do Cinnamon trust match you with someone near to you and do checks etc but you have to use common sense.

Karen

Fran
05-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Now I know this may sound odd but if you want the dog walks but don't want to disrupt India how about volunteering for a rescue and walking their dogs?the excercise and none of the trouble ;) they would snap you hand off I imagine.
Also there is "cinnamon" trust I walk for them you can help a person not able to walk their dog themselves usually an older person, They become friends or just keep them at arms length, Your choice. But a nice thing to do Cinnamon trust match you with someone near to you and do checks etc but you have to use common sense.

Karen

What a great compromise Kazz...knew we could rely on you to come up with a really good idea ;)

Kim
05-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Kazz, that is a brilliant idea!

Elaine, thank-you for your kind words. I felt guilty about not bonding with Caleb, but I am now becoming really quite fond of him. What a lovely thought; Daisy & Ben smiling down on us. They were such perfect dogs, I still cry a lot too, so I'm glad it's not just me!