PDA

View Full Version : Cats & Chocolate

andrew021
03-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I read in the Sunday Mirror, feeding your dog chocolate can kill it.

As little as 4 squares of chocolate can kill a Yorkshire Terrier.

Could the same happen to cats.

yola
03-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I believe so Andrew . . .

andrew021
03-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Oh dear, I shouldnt have fed her that Yorkie Bar last night. Joke.

I wouldnt feed her that type of stuff anyway. Maybe a bit of cream from chocolate eclairs but defo not ice cream or yoghurts.

Snoof
03-04-2006, 02:32 PM
I have yet to meet a cat who'll eat chocolate. Might just be me, though...

Sweet
03-04-2006, 02:44 PM
My Aunts dog once took a bar of chocie from under the Christmas Tree and ate the lot inc. wrapper and was for ever taking socks etc..... Violet likes Baked Beans! x

Donna
03-04-2006, 03:14 PM
My cats turn their noses up at chocolate if it has been left somewhere it shouldnt of been!!

emma_pen
04-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Yes chocolate is toxic to both cats and dogs. Its not the chocolate iteself, but an ingredient called Theobromine that is found in chocolate. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. A small amount as a treat to dogs can be safe - mine get Maltesers every time I have a bag.

Other foodstuffs to be aware of that are toxic to our pets - onions (raw & cooked), garlic (only in large amounts), grapes/raisins, potato skin (raw only).

Ems

dinahsmum
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
I had a cat who liked Maltesers but I think it was the malty middle rather than the chocolate that he really enjoyed!

CJK
04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
none of my cats like even cat choc drops, but my dog i used to ahve always nicked choc if he could get a hold of it

Fran
04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I have yet to meet a cat who'll eat chocolate. Might just be me, though...

Lucky my old girl who I lost last Christmas time adored chocolate. Mint aero was her favourite and she would pester and pester until you gave her some :p I did used to give her very small amounts occasionally. I do not give any of my other pet's chocolate with exception of the horse who adores chocolate of any kind :roll:

Tom
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Lucky my old girl who I lost last Christmas time adored chocolate. Mint aero was her favourite and she would pester and pester until you gave her some :p I did used to give her very small amounts occasionally. I do not give any of my other pet's chocolate with exception of the horse who adores chocolate of any kind :roll:

Yea the horse is a chocoholic!!!!!!

Tom :)