PDA

View Full Version : Another step forward!

Snoof
02-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Matt's parents were here today - we went out for lunch at a restaurant. When we got back, Ninja was in the lounge and legged it down the hallway, so I excused myself and went into the kitchen to see if he wanted cuddles. I called Matt's dad when he was inside to be fussed, and Matt's dad took a bunch of pictures (which I'll share when he emails them to me). Then he knelt on the floor and stuck his hand out, and with a little bit of luring (me holding out my hand nearer Matt's dad's hand) he went up to Matt's dad, who said "Just a little sniff...", only to shove his head against it once, look at me and come back for more fussing from me :-D

I'm so proud of him! He's never let anyone but me pet him in the kitchen, and today he pushed up against someone he only sees sporadically :-)

He also rubbed up against my knee a few times, which he's never done before either :-D

Goes to show - slow but steady wins the race... Eventually, I hope :lol:

Donna
02-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I think you have already won the race Snoof and doing a lap of honour. Well done on turning Ninja into a sociable happy kitty!!!

Snoof
02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm so proud of him, Donna :-D He's been putting his best leg forward (I hope that's not just a saying in Dutch but I'm not sure :oops:) and being really brave :-)

He's also had a few 'traumatic' experiences that would've had him hiding away from people for two weeks at a stretch in the past, that he now forgives me for within the same day (I took off his collar as it was fraying, and when I was trying to put a new one on him I talked to my son and he took off - presumably thinking I was telling Matt to get the catbox out, as that's happened and made him a very unhappy bunny!).

I'm starting to really think he may yet have a fulfilling 'normal' life with all the comfort and security he requires :-D

Kazz
02-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I think you've won the battle soon you'll be posting saying "you can't stop him approaching strangers and headbutting them for fuss." :roll:

I think you have done a brilliant job slow and steady works everytime. Karen

Donna
02-04-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm so proud of him, Donna :-D He's been putting his best leg forward (I hope that's not just a saying in Dutch but I'm not sure :oops:) and being really brave :-)

Best foot forward:-D

And you should take some the credit yourself Snoof - it wasnt all Ninja's work you know!!!

Snoof
02-04-2006, 05:31 PM
:lol: Kazz - it's kind of like with kids, isn't it? Spend the first few years teaching them to walk and talk, and the next ten telling them to sit down and shut up :lol:

Donna, I know I put a lot of hard work into it, but I knew there wasn't anything to be afraid of. Seems kind of easy in retrospect, mostly it took time and caution, really. But for him to be so brave just makes me go :smt007 :lol:

I don't like to take credit for my parenting either, it's got to be some kind of weird hangup I've got :roll:

Mags
02-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm so pleased that all your patience with Ninja is beginning to pay off, Snoof :D You've done a brilliant job with him....soon he will be following you everywhere!:D

CathyW
02-04-2006, 05:47 PM
my 2 are still nervous of strangers,some one has to be in here for a few hours before they will come n have a look. unless your a young friend of ours, i think he must have a bath in catnip or salmon, id never seen my cats make a fuss of anyone so much before :shock: they loved him it was a mass of fur on his lap all fighting to get into position :D

Snoof
02-04-2006, 05:52 PM
:lol: BM!

Ninja will allow people to pet him (in his safe place in the conservatory) provided I've introduced them by getting them to come over while I'm petting him. There's only one person who doesn't live here who doesn't get a short warning "I've got my eye on you, mister" hiss every time he comes near, anymore - and Matt's dad is not one of them. What amazes me the most is that they're here every 2-3 weeks, and most of the time they don't go see Ninja (but Matt's dad has petted him a couple of times, with introduction both times).

He is, however, a cat person :-D And so kind as to take pictures of him for me ;)

Mags, I used to think if I could undo half the damage he's sustained during his life I'd be happy - never thought I'd get as far as I have :lol: :-D

Moli
02-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Its great he is trusting you now..:D ...All your patience has paid off....:-D

Sweet
02-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Awwww lovely to hear x

Snoof
02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Moli and Sweet :-D

I'm so glad for CP :lol: I was starting to drive everyone in the house crazy talking about it :lol: :roll: