PDA

View Full Version : Are there a lot of readers on here??

Booktigger
01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I am struggling to choose books from the library. There are just too many to narrow it down to 4 or 5, and some of the best ones are in hardback, and I really don't like hardbacks. Will be happy when my local library opens again at the end of the month, there were about 3 shelves of books I wanted to get through. So, am looking for some suggestions. I prefer crime/thriller/mystery, and like true life crime/murder. Am currently reading a Jonathan Kellerman, and have two Jeffrey Deaver books, an Agatha Christie and a Richard Laymon, plus a PD James and Dan Brown that my neighbour has lent me. I think I want to try some new authors as well, I want to try Faye Kellerman, am a bit bored with Stephen King, although I do want to read The Cell, not sure about the Dark Tower series though. I am also a bit bored with Patricia Cornwell (and think I have read the majority, if not all of them).

smudgley
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Don't think I've ever read a book from start to finish since I left school. :oops:
No time for reading.:roll:

Booktigger
01-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I can't imagine not reading, I would go potty!! I always read more when I have new fosters, as they are isolated and I have to go and sit with them.

Fran
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't read fiction books only non fiction :D

Booktigger
01-04-2006, 07:25 PM
What kind of non fiction?

Fran
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
What kind of non fiction?

Dog breeding, dog training and puppy raising mainly :oops: I do read about cats and horses but have to say most of what I read is doggy :roll:

Booktigger
01-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Not my idea of non fiction then!!!

Fran
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I have recently been reading about homeopathic remedies. I am also interested in anything science wise, biology, physics etc..

Fran
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Not my idea of non fiction then!!!

lol no not most people's idea of a good read BT :?

dandysmom
01-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I am struggling to choose books from the library. There are just too many to narrow it down to 4 or 5, and some of the best ones are in hardback, and I really don't like hardbacks. Will be happy when my local library opens again at the end of the month, there were about 3 shelves of books I wanted to get through. So, am looking for some suggestions. I prefer crime/thriller/mystery, and like true life crime/murder. Am currently reading a Jonathan Kellerman, and have two Jeffrey Deaver books, an Agatha Christie and a Richard Laymon, plus a PD James and Dan Brown that my neighbour has lent me. I think I want to try some new authors as well, I want to try Faye Kellerman, am a bit bored with Stephen King, although I do want to read The Cell, not sure about the Dark Tower series though. I am also a bit bored with Patricia Cornwell (and think I have read the majority, if not all of them).
I'm an avid reader, & in the same categories you like. Do read the Cell!! Faye Kellerman's series is excellent; I think her characters are better than Jonathan's. I adore all of Ruth Rendell's (alter ego Barbara Vine), PD James, Minette Walters. I went off Cornwell after that incredibly bad "Isle of Dogs"!!! John Saul is good if you like sort of creepy horror. Sujata Massey writes good stories with a Japanese-American heroine, & the settings are excellent, Have you read any of Elizabeth Peters Egyptian series about Amelia Peabody? Start at the beginning if you can; characters age! They are witty! I read Da Vinci Code, wasn't all that impressed; The Labyrinth is better in that genre, I feel. Margaret Frazer is good, also Catherine Aird....I have left out quite a few of my favorite authors, but this post is getting long: hope some of these suggestions will lead you to some good reading!! Please PM me anytime to talk about books...would enjoy it!!:D

dandysmom
02-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Have to add just a couple of more: Ellis Peters, the Brother Cadfael series (they had adaptations of this on TV. wouldn't watch; hate how they ruin a book like this!); Aaron Elkins (forensic anthropologist, very witty), Kathy Reichs, sort of like Cornwell, only, I think, better; any of Beverly Nichols cat/gardening books. Some of these authors may not be available in UK; just throwing out some more suggestions. Boy, did you push my button asking aout books!!!:roll: :-D

Booktigger
02-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Cheers for the tips, will pm you now. I made the mistake of taking the Isle of Dogs as a holiday book!! I enjoyed Da Vinci Code, didn't rate Angels and Demons though, and have another of his to read.

Het
02-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Try Kathy Reichs, she has written a few now and I find them a really good read. Also the Sue Grafton ones are good (female detective) and For a laugh I like Janet Evanovich.
If you like Dan Brown you will also like Matthew Reilly...

Booktigger
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I have read a Kathy Reichs book, but don't recall seeing any at the library. Keep debating with Sue Grafton, will add her on to the list. Never heard of Matthew Reilly, another one added onto the list.

EmmaG
02-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I read quite a bit, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Jeffrey Deaver, Ken Follet,. I also love reading Shaun Hutson, but I think you have to have a strong stomach for his works as they can be extremely graphic.

Just purchase a book by Lisa Gardner, never read her books before.

Also if you want a funny read Sophia Kinsell's shopaholic books are hilarous!!

Booktigger
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Ooh, some of my favourite authors there. Not read any Ken Follett though. I noticed that with Shaun Hutson. dont' tend to go for funny reads!!

EmmaG
02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Most of Ken Follets books are nice and easy to read and normally have a twist in their tail ;)

One of the best books I have ever read was called "the magic cottage" by James Herbert, another excellent book was called "savages" by Shirley Conran

Booktigger
02-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Wel, I'd put him on the list, but PEbbles has other plans!! I like the Magic Cottage, am I right in thinking there were two books with those characters? Again, can't get up to check!!

dandysmom
03-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Ooh, some of my favourite authors there. Not read any Ken Follett though. I noticed that with Shaun Hutson. dont' tend to go for funny reads!!
Oh, how could I have forgotten to mention Ken Follet...Pillars of the Earth is one of the best books I've ever read; also Rutherfurd (Sarum, London) and Elizabeth Goudge (dated, but still good reads) Green Dolphin Street. Also James Clavell (Taipan).

Booktigger
03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Well, I have read 2 books today with workmen being in and having no comp access (a Jeffrey Deaver that I didn't enjoy, and an Agatha Christie that was good, but over too quickly), so am going to pop to the library when they have gone, as I only have 4 to last me the rest of the week!! Have my list of authors/titles to try, so will see what I can get - have to limit myself to 4 though.

EmmaG
03-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Just started a book titled "Every dead thing" by John Connolly, never read any of his books. I will report back ;)

Booktigger
03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I got a James Patterson, Agatha Christie, Kathy Reichs and Michael Marshall today. Only one Ken Follet book, and it was too thick with what I had already picked up. Only one Faye Kellerman and it was in hardback. I can't wait for the local library to open, I might have more luck with some of these authors.

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 02:39 AM
I got a James Patterson, Agatha Christie, Kathy Reichs and Michael Marshall today. Only one Ken Follet book, and it was too thick with what I had already picked up. Only one Faye Kellerman and it was in hardback. I can't wait for the local library to open, I might have more luck with some of these authors.
Which James Patterson did you get? I have The Fifth Horseman on hold at the library. Think you may like Kathy Reichs!

Booktigger
04-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Violets are Blue, but I am wondering if I have read it before!! Not sure if we have that in our library yet, they do have a recent one but I think it might be the one before that.

Hreow
17-04-2006, 03:08 PM
What's the Labyrinth like? I brought it along to read during the holidays, but only got as far as "The thinking woman's literature(?)" and found I couldn't. Re-read "Starfish" and "Maelstrom" instead.
Always bring some light reading, one book by a new (to me) author and one or two tomes (Cat genetics and Data mining this time. My friends just look at these and shake their heads. Love learning and both subjects interest me.)
My parents have two pictures of me that they call "before and after learning to read fluently". The former depict little girl amongst wild flowers, the latter shady room with small nose stuck firmly to the pages of a book. :-) I haven't really surfaced since. I read almost the whole library in the town I grew up. I read cornflakes packages, signs, scraps with letters, anything. (And that's a curse, trust me. Lots of really stupid and/or irritating things written down.)

dandysmom
17-04-2006, 09:32 PM
The Labrynth wasn't a real page turner; dragged quite a bit but never enough to put it down; wanted to see how it all turned out. You might like The Last Templar...maybe a little overly melodramatic in a few places, but a good read in my opinion. I'm another avid reader; have had, as my mother once said, my nose stuck in a book ever since I learned to read! Do you like Kathy Reichs, Ruth Rendell, John Grisham, Elizabeth Peters, to name some of my favorites? Have the new Rendell (Barbara Vine) - Minotaur, on my unread book pile as well as the new Patterson - The Fifth Horseman. Just finished Elizabeth Peters Tomb of the Golden Bird. Get my books at the library, hate to pay $29.95 for a new hardback ! Buy used paperbacks from Amazon sellerss & also pick up at the local flea market for .25...good deal!! I have done some reading on cat genetics: it is fascinating but difficult!:D Nice to hear from another reader!!

Hreow
17-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I'll have a go at The Last Templar, then. We seem to have favorite authors in common. :-) Library here is rubbish. Seems to be all part 5 of 8 in series, and rarely something new and exiting. I trawl the secondhand-book- and charity-shops. And yes, Amazon Marketplace and eBay.
Genetics; Still need to find that breeder who will let me ask a million questions and look at the process in the fur. :-) Daren't ask Rover's, as I would definitively fall in love with too many of his siblings and end up in the dog-house here at home. :grin:

dandysmom
18-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Do let me know what you think of The Last Templar! Have you read Cell? I enjoyed that quite a bit; some of it a bit implausible, but you know the expression "willing suspension of disbelief"!! Good read! Have you read any of Sujata Massey's ...series about a Japanese-American art dealer who gets involved in a lot of involved situations both in San Francisco but mostly in Japan...not only interesting characters, but learn a lot about Japanese art, customs, etc. but not in a didactic way...I like learning things on the side while I'm enjoying a good read!

Booktigger
19-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I read a Kathy Reichs book this week, thought it was absolutely fab!! And I hadn't read the James PAtterson book, that was good. Am just reading an Agatha Christie book. My local library is due to be open by the end of the month, they have been renovating it since Jan, so have had to use a different library that I don't like that much. So am going to re-read some of my books (had to take them all out to decorate the back room, and found some that I forgot I had!!) till it opens - think I have just pulled out the two adult Roald Dahl books, a couple of James Herbert, and Bridget Jones. Hopefully those 8, plus the 3 I still have will be enough!!

dandysmom
20-04-2006, 05:08 AM
It's maddening when your favorite branch library is closed, isn't it! My Tenley library was closed last year for demolition & complete rebuilding; City Council has been squabbling about details ever since & nothing has been done yet!!! AAARGHHH!! I knew all the staff there & was greeted by name when I came in...going to Georgetown branch now, & OK, but not the same. Just started The Fifth Horseman tonight; starting out well. Have you read any of Gerald Durrell's animal books? A Zoo in My Luggage, etc....oldies but still good.Best, Eileen

Booktigger
20-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Yep, I had loads of books at that library that I Wanted to read!! NEver heard of him, will have to look when I get to the library.

dandysmom
21-04-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm about 1/2 thru the Fifth Horseman...love it!! Interesting plot & likeable characters. Got an e-mail from the library that my hold on Kellerman's Gone is in; will pick up tomorow if the predicted heavy rains aren't as bad as forecast!

dandysmom
27-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Just finished Vine's The Minotaur...usual creepy psychological study set in rural England in the 60's through the eyes of a young Swedish nurse who's there to take care of the schizophrenic (sp?) son in a VERY disfunctional family...won't spoil the plot; enjoyed it, would recommend. Am about to start Kellerman's Gone. What are you reading today?